Congresswoman to Google CEO: Why when I search ‘idiot’ do I get pictures of Trump? Claims conspiracy.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
Not at all. Defensive would be to defend the GOP or rationalize what they are doing. I am not giving them a pass at all. I am simply observing which targets seem to draw condemnation, hence my comment about trees and forests.

Lol, please.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I admire your wool. Sacramento wasn’t going to do sh!t until Alastair Mactaggart put his fortune to good use and sent tech into a frenzy.

https://www.wired.com/story/why-californias-privacy-law-wont-hurt-facebook-or-google/amp
And my point is that the Democrats have a demonstrable history of doing what the people want when they make it clear what they want and that does apply here and will continue to apply to privacy in the future. This is opposed to the GOP who does the same things over and over in spite of insurmountable evidence showing that they are bad ideas and despite public opinion being against them. It has reached a point where the GOP could not be more malicious to the general public if they were actively trying to be malicious.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Not at all. Defensive would be to defend the GOP or rationalize what they are doing. I am not giving them a pass at all. I am simply observing which targets seem to draw condemnation, hence my comment about trees and forests.

Yeh, your bothsiderism is extremely blatant.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Rep. Ted Lieu had an answer for those Republicans idiots...
Lieu pounced. “Let me just conclude here by stating the obvious,” he said. “If you want positive search results, do positive things. If you don’t want negative search results, don’t do negative things. To some of my colleagues across the aisle, if you’re getting bad press articles and bad search results, don’t blame Google or Facebook or Twitter. Consider blaming yourself.”
It was an electrifying performance. When King got around to his questioning, he pressed the issue of a “built-in bias” against conservatives, an attack that felt more toothless after Lieu had made an example of him. And in the aftermath of a relatively uneventful and un-gratifying session of testimony, Lieu managed exactly the outcome he had predicted. A Google News result for his name this morning yields headlines that buff his prowess and power: “Democratic Rep. Ted Lieu Tears Into Republican Colleagues”; “Rep. Ted Lieu to GOP Colleagues: ‘Consider Blaming Yourself’ for Negative Google Results”; “Dem Knocks GOP Colleagues: Blame ‘Yourself’ for Unfavorable Google Search Results.” The proof is in the pudding.
https://www.theatlantic.com/technol...ed-lieus-dangerous-endorsement-google/577990/

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
My Google fu tells me if you put a space between cream and pies you will get the recipes you are looking for. Spaces make a difference. ;)
Spaces won't help you searching for oxidized metal instrument if you google, rusty trombone.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
Only on ATPN is that not over-the-top enough to make clear that it is not a genuine post. :mask:

Don't know if you've been lurking these last couple of years or just not around at all to notice, but some serious nutbars have appeared, vanished, then reappeared throughout this Trump era.

Reactions: OCGuy

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
And my point is that the Democrats have a demonstrable history of doing what the people want when they make it clear what they want and that does apply here and will continue to apply to privacy in the future. This is opposed to the GOP who does the same things over and over in spite of insurmountable evidence showing that they are bad ideas and despite public opinion being against them. It has reached a point where the GOP could not be more malicious to the general public if they were actively trying to be malicious.
I am not defending the GOP. The only way they get my vote again is if guys like Mueller retake the party. I’ve also expressed admiration for politicians like Jerry Brown who are a bit more European in their leadership.

Having said that, I am not going to celebrate legislation forced by a ballot initiative, and into which ISPs and tech companies inserted vulnerabilities to dull the effectivess of it.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I am not defending the GOP. The only way they get my vote again is if guys like Mueller retake the party. I’ve also expressed admiration for politicians like Jerry Brown who are a bit more European in their leadership.

Having said that, I am not going to celebrate legislation forced by a ballot initiative, and into which ISPs and tech companies inserted vulnerabilities to dull the effectivess of it.
I will continue to not ask you to celebrate then. I will however ask you to stop being critical of a Congress that has not even been sworn in yet for not doing the things you want and just assuming they won't. If internet privacy is important to you then you should do everything you can to promote it. If everyone did that instead of blaming liberals/Democrats, then Democrats would do something about it like they try to do with everything else that has overwhelmingly popular public support.

Reactions: greatnoob

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
I will continue to not ask you to celebrate then. I will however ask you to stop being critical of a Congress that has not even been sworn in yet for not doing the things you want and just assuming they won't. If internet privacy is important to you then you should do everything you can to promote it. If everyone did that instead of blaming liberals/Democrats, then Democrats would do something about it like they try to do with everything else that has overwhelmingly popular public support.
The topic shifted to things Sacramento already did, and I directed skepticism towards what motivated it.

Perhaps unfair to judge the incoming Congress on things they haven’t done, but I don’t have a high degree of faith.

Isn’t criticizing liberals a way of motivating them to do something?

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I suppose you could try counter arguing for a change, that is if you’re up to it.

You often make the perfect the enemy of the good when it comes to Dems. When they respond to the will of the voters, as in CA, you tell us that's not good enough. Even if it is less than ideal it's better than what we're getting from the GOP.

How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time.

nakedfrog

No Lifer
Apr 3, 2001
How does one look at the history for a search term? Curious to see how big the spike was.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The topic shifted to things Sacramento already did, and I directed skepticism towards what motivated it.

Perhaps unfair to judge the incoming Congress on things they haven’t done, but I don’t have a high degree of faith.

Isn’t criticizing liberals a way of motivating them to do something?
If they are not responding to the carrot then yes, by all means switch to the stick. However, in this climate, criticizing the Democrats for their stance on an issue where the GOP stance is worse is counterproductive.

DrDoug

Diamond Member
Jan 16, 2014
Yawn. Your point was an observation which I corrected.

That's strange, my observation of your method of supporting Republicans still stands and nothing has been corrected by you. Hopefully you are intelligent enough to realize that just because you say something doesn't mean that it's true.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
That's strange, my observation of your method of supporting Republicans still stands and nothing has been corrected by you. Hopefully you are intelligent enough to realize that just because you say something doesn't mean that it's true.
That door swings both ways my friend.

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
If they are not responding to the carrot then yes, by all means switch to the stick. However, in this climate, criticizing the Democrats for their stance on an issue where the GOP stance is worse is counterproductive.
I see political engagement as a civic responsibility and don’t subscribe to the lesser of two evils as particularly inspiring.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Do you folks want to see a Democrat expertly troll the fuck out of a Republican? Watch this.

I wish the camera had been on King's face when Lieu dropped this bomb.
Saw the clips last night. He used to be a prosecutor before he went to congress. Basically told them to not be assholes if they did not like the search results.

Indus

Diamond Member
May 11, 2002
Ah yes the ever popular, worn and overused both sides “duhvert” card because reality doesn’t fit your tribalistic narrative. The irony is that we both support the assertive EU approach to regulating tech when it comes to privacy. You want to lay the blame at the feet of the GOP because of their misguided political stunt by which they incorrectly phrased relevant questions. The Democrats are beholden to Silicon Valley donors much as the GOP is beholden to the Koch Brothers and fossil fuels. I don’t expect to see any leadership on this issue.

Except that using silicon chips isn't causing us cancer unlike burning fossil fuels.