Congressman Foley resigned

Page 19 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Specop 007

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2005
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Yeah, typical Republican. Say one thing out of one side of your mouth and something else out of the other. They're trying to muddy the waters.
He's not taking responsibility at all. It's a sham. He's a liar.

Because the Dems NEVER do that do they?

tommywishbone

Platinum Member
May 11, 2005
From todays press conference; "... Hastert praised the ethic committee's actions and said he would instruct his attorney to cooperate with the panel "in getting to the bottom of this."

I think that was Foley's original plan.

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
Originally posted by: Moonbeam
Quite right, I think, but I want to allow the legal system to investigate, see if crimes were committed, and them apply the law. The conviction, it seems to me is coming before the trial along with some potentially inappropriate outrage. I thought we gave up lynchings.

Not in politics and especially by those that are currently at the low end of the totem pole.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Specop 007
Because the Dems NEVER do that do they?
Because WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE IN THE PAST ARE NOT RELEVANT TO GUILT IN THIS CASE! What matters IN THIS CASE is who did what and when IN THIS CASE and what should be done about anyone who committed or tried to cover up the facts IN THIS CASE.

If you want to deal with anyone else's wrongs, go ahead and post a thread about it that proves your point. Here's an original idea...

You could start a thread about Bill Clinton and Monica... No wait... That's been done.

OK. You could start a thread about John Kerry and the Swiftboat liars... No wait... That's been done.

OK. You could start a thread about Richard Nixon and how he was a victim of Democrats trying to embarrass his administration... No wait... That's been done.

Maybe you could start a thread about how the moon landing was faked on worldwide TV... No wait... That's been done.

How about Charles Lindberg? Did he REALLY fly "The Spirit Of St. Louis" solo across the Atlantic to Paris???

Do you know how to do anything other than lie, dissemble and distract from the issue at hand? :roll:

Aug 1, 2006

I wouldn't read too much into that. Sure, they are steaming mad at the moment. They could always get back in line prior to the election.

Rep. Doc Hastings of Washington, who runs the House ethics committee, offered his unabashed support during a briefing on ethics panel activities.

"I think the speaker has done an excellent job," Hastings said, later adding that his remark "is not related to the matter at hand here."

Well, it certainly sounds like the Republican "Ethics" committee will do a thorough job of "investigating" this scandal....:disgust:

Are these people for real? :shocked:

oldman420

Platinum Member
May 22, 2004
Originally posted by: tommywishbone
From todays press conference; "... Hastert praised the ethic committee's actions and said he would instruct his attorney to cooperate with the panel "in getting to the bottom of this."

I think that was Foley's original plan.

that's funny

Aug 1, 2006
Aides to House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Illinois, and House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-California, offered conflicting accounts Thursday night as to what role Hastert was proposing for former FBI Director Louis Freeh in the Foley page scandal.

Hastert's spokesman Ron Bonjean took issue with Pelosi's spokeswoman's account to CNN that the speaker was "notifying" the minority leader of a "unilateral decision" to bring in Freeh to head an independent inquiry of the page program.

Jennifer Crider, Pelosi's spokeswoman, stood by her description of the discussion between Hastert and Pelosi. Crider repeated that Hastert called Pelosi and said, "I'm notifying you," and that Hastert stated, "Louis Freeh will investigate the Page Program."

Bonjean stressed that the Hastert was focused on reviewing security measures, not launching an outside investigation.

"The speaker reached out to leader Pelosi to offer her the suggestion of having Louis Freeh come in and oversee the new security measures of the page program," he said. "She rejected that."

Bonjean added, "The speaker reached out and offered her a suggestion, because we were being criticized for not reaching out in a bipartisan way. We want to make sure people are moving forward to take control of the situation."

Bonjean said the speaker still wants a security review. "It's left in leader Pelosi's court," he said. "We believe that the safety of our pages is a top priority. There are pages working on the Hill as we speak."

Crider said the current rules governing the page program are sufficient and the ethics committee process needs to move forward to find out who knew what and when about former Rep. Mark Foleyâ??s, R-Florida contact with pages.

Asked about Hastert's focus on safeguarding pages, Crider said, "The Republican leadership had an opportunity to put the safety of these young people first a year ago, and they chose to protect Mark Foley over pages' safety."
Posted 10/05/2006 07:41:00 PM |

Excellent excellent question Ms. Crider. Don't let those Gestapo bastards push you around.
"There is a process and rules in place to protect the pages," she said. "It's not that the rules were inadequate. It's that the rules in place weren't followed by the Republican leadership."

The Republicans think they're going to make a big show of "strengthening the program" when all that was required was for the Repubicans to follow the rules ALREADY IN PLACE! Big government tax (the poor) and spend (on phony wars) Republicans.

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/

Aug 1, 2006
While the transcript has since been corrected, one little-known conservative blogger was able to access the un-redacted version and use the screen name to uncover the young man's identity. That blogger subsequently posted the former page's name, online profile and photo on his Web site -- a move some prominent bloggers today labeled irresponsible.

So much for the Democratic conspiracy. The Republicans posted the kids information. Photo, address, everything. Nice.

http://www.cnn.com/POLITICS/blogs/politicalticker/

daveymark

Lifer
Sep 15, 2003
Originally posted by: Harvey

WHAT OTHERS HAVE DONE IN THE PAST ARE NOT RELEVANT TO GUILT IN THIS CASE! What matters IN THIS CASE is who did what and when IN THIS CASE and what should be done about anyone who committed or tried to cover up the facts IN THIS CASE.

If you want to deal with anyone else's wrongs, go ahead and post a thread about it that proves your point. Here's an original idea...

You could start a thread about Bill Clinton and Monica... No wait... That's been done.

OK. You could start a thread about John Kerry and the Swiftboat liars... No wait... That's been done.

OK. You could start a thread about Richard Nixon and how he was a victim of Democrats trying to embarrass his administration... No wait... That's been done.

Maybe you could start a thread about how the moon landing was faked on worldwide TV... No wait... That's been done.

How about Charles Lindberg? Did he REALLY fly "The Spirit Of St. Louis" solo across the Atlantic to Paris???

Do you know how to do anything other than lie, dissemble and distract from the issue at hand? :roll:

Quoted for posterity. I'll be sure to cut n paste this each time you (or any other silly lib) brings up Bush whenever a democrap does something questionable :laugh:

wiin

Oct 28, 1999
He should have become a democrat. Had he become a democrat when this was at its early stage, this would have gone away without a sound. As a democrat, he would have probably been censured but that's about it. It's great to be a democrat. You don't have to resign and you don't have to go to jail.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
Originally posted by: wiin
He should have become a democrat. Had he become a democrat when this was at its early stage, this would have gone away without a sound. As a democrat, he would have probably been censured but that's about it. It's great to be a democrat. You don't have to resign and you don't have to go to jail.

No, he should have stayed away from underage kids, instead of being a lying hypocrit pretending he was out to protect kids. He was obviously a very bent man.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Update: Three More Former Pages Accuse Foley of Online Sexual Approaches

Three more former congressional pages have come forward to reveal what they call "sexual approaches" over the Internet from former Congressman Mark Foley.

The pages served in the classes of 1998, 2000 and 2002. They independently approached ABC News after the Foley resignation through the Brian Ross & the Investigative Team's tip line on ABCNews.com. None wanted their names used because of the sensitive nature of the communications.

"I was seventeen years old and just returned to [my home state] when Foley began to e-mail me, asking if I had ever seen my page roommates naked and how big their penises were," said the page in the 2002 class.

The former page also said Foley told him that if he happened to be in Washington, D.C., he could stay at Foley's home if he "would engage in oral sex" with Foley.

The page told ABC News he was interviewed this week by FBI agents who had a six-page list of questions about Foley and the exchanges.

The second page who talked with ABC News, a graduate of the 2000 page class, says Foley actually visited the old page dorm and offered rides to events in his BMW.

"His e-mails developed into sexually explicit conversations, and he asked me for photographs of my erect penis," the former page said.

[...]

Linkage

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
Check out this nice web blog from March 22, 2005. This is from "blogACTIVE" appatently a web site that goes around "outing" gays.
I've thought hard about what kind of TAKE ACTION would work, but there is really is none right now. Everyone already knows Foley's a self hating closet case. When we get closer to the mid-term elections, I am sure more will surface.
Mark Foley: ANother closeted anti-gay GOPer

Maybe the last line was just some wishful thinking. Of course the FBI is now saying that CREW got the e-mail it sent to the media in April... right after this post hmmmm

Check out what the FBI is saying about the e-mail that started all this
In subsequent days, unidentified Justice and FBI officials told reporters that the e-mails provided by CREW were heavily redacted and that the group refused to provide unedited versions to the FBI. One law enforcement official -- speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss an ongoing investigation -- also told The Washington Post the FBI believed that CREW may have received the e-mails as early as April and that the group refused to tell the FBI how they were obtained.
and
Justice Department spokesman Brian Roehrkasse declined to comment on that issue but defended the FBI's handling of the original e-mails: "The e-mails, while inappropriate, did not contain a criminal predicate to allow the FBI to move forward in an investigation."
Washington Post story

Sure Foley is scum who should not be in congress, but who "outed" him and how and why they did it become more and more interesting everyday. And with the FBI on the case how long can a group like CREW try to hide the source of their information? They can't fall back on the 1st admentment since they aren't members of the press.

aidanjm

Lifer
Aug 9, 2004
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
Sure Foley is scum who should not be in congress

it's so stupid to dismiss this guy as scum. actually, he did a lot of good things while in office. his constituents liked him. perhaps ironically, he did do some good things to protect kids from sexual predators online. it's true that he probably shouldn't be in congress. he is obviously a damaged, flawed individual. on the other hand, I don't think his misbehavior was so severe that he should be completely written off as a worthless individual. it would be great if people could callibrate their level of outrage towards Foley so that it actually matched the nature and seriousness of his misbehavior.

Aug 1, 2006
No no no, he betrayed the trust of the voters. He's a fraud. Ask John Walsh about him, see what he says now. You're conveniently ignoring evidence. Though he may not be a worthless individual, given his position, his supposed mission, he betrayed everyone. That shouldn't be commended, IMO.

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002

Sure Foley is scum who should not be in congress, but who "outed" him and how and why they did it become more and more interesting everyday.

Heh, your best case scenario with this argument is that the Democrats MIGHT have outed him for political gain and you completley ignore the fact it was Haserts JOB to be on top of things like this.

Hasart hiding behind his cheif of staff ISN"T an excuse, it just shows incompetence at best and possibly even an out and out lie. Both suffiencent reasons for stepping down as speaker.

The timing of when Hasert's office new of the allegations (and did nothing) makes the timing of when the story broke totally irrelevant, because the story is about the cover-up.

That is why the Republican defense of "they did it too" rings so hollow. The Democrats never covered anything up and ordered a full bi-partisian investigation when they were in power. Why didn't Hasert do that. The Republicans are so worried about what the Democrats have done, so if you want a comparison then there's a good one for you.

This is why so many Republican congressmen aren't jumping on the partisin bandwagon, they know the public is fed up with all the phoney BS and they have to come clean on this.

I don't know if Hasert is history or not, because everything isn't known/documented yet, but on the surface it sure looks bad.

Feb 10, 2000
Originally posted by: aidanjm

it's so stupid to dismiss this guy as scum. actually, he did a lot of good things while in office. his constituents liked him. perhaps ironically, he did do some good things to protect kids from sexual predators online. it's true that he probably shouldn't be in congress. he is obviously a damaged, flawed individual. on the other hand, I don't think his misbehavior was so severe that he should be completely written off as a worthless individual. it would be great if people could callibrate their level of outrage towards Foley so that it actually matched the nature and seriousness of his misbehavior.

Well put - I actually agree 100%. I don't think it's appropriate, at all, for a congressman to view teenage pages, regardless of their gender, as targets of opportunity for sexual advances, but I don't think it makes him Pol Pot either.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: aidanjm

You're not helping your cause.

Pedophiles whether straight or gay does not make anybody "good".

Society considers that "deviant" and "criminal" no matter how you slice it.

catnap1972

Platinum Member
Aug 10, 2000
Originally posted by: International Machine Consortium
Though he may not be a worthless individual, given his position, his supposed mission, he betrayed everyone. That shouldn't be commended, IMO.

Which obviously means he'll be getting a promotion along with a huge pay raise!

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Sure Foley is scum who should not be in congress, but who "outed" him and how and why they did it become more and more interesting everyday. And with the FBI on the case how long can a group like CREW try to hide the source of their information? They can't fall back on the 1st admentment since they aren't members of the press.
It's only interesting to those with the tinfoil strapped to their head so tight they can't think straight. Nobody, except the GOP and their loyal dittohead parrots, cares how this guy got caught. He resigned, which indicates he's guilty of something, if only the bad taste and irony of a 52-year old GOP Rep soliciting teenage boys for cybersex and asking for pictures of their erect penis.