Conficker worm aka skynet

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Anybody got a link to a legitimate tool that lets you know if a computer is infected with conficker?

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Raduque
Anybody got a link to a legitimate tool that lets you know if a computer is infected with conficker?

IIRC jsut tryign to go to the sites listed in many of the articles is enough as it blocks access to them.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Raduque

http://iv.cs.uni-bonn.de/wg/cs.../containing-conficker/

These are command line programs .
Start with memory disinfector
http://iv.cs.uni-bonn.de/uploa...nficker_mem_killer.exe

C:\>conficker_mem_killer

----------------------------------
Conficker Memory Disinfector
Felix Leder, Tillmann Werner 2009
{leder, werner}@cs.uni-bonn.de

Examining [0] [System Process]: Error [1300] SetPrivilege: Not all privileges or
groups referenced are assigned to the caller.

no match
Examining [4] System: Error [1300] SetPrivilege: Not all privileges or groups re
ferenced are assigned to the caller.

no match
Examining [360] smss.exe: Error [1300] SetPrivilege: Not all privileges or group
s referenced are assigned to the caller.

no match
Examining [504] csrss.exe: Error [1300] SetPrivilege: Not all privileges or grou
ps referenced are assigned to the caller.

no match
Examining [564] wininit.exe: Error [1300] SetPrivilege: Not all privileges or gr
oups referenced are assigned to the caller.

Then file and registry detector
http://iv.cs.uni-bonn.de/uploads/media/regnfile_01.exe

C:\>regnfile_01

Conficker File and Registry Checker

Felix Leder, Tillmann Werner 2009
{leder, werner}@cs.uni-bonn.de

On this computer Conficker will be installed in...

Conficker.A...
DLL: unknown (random)

Conficker.B...
DLL: C:\Windows\system32\xlreyirz.dll...clean (non existent)
Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\a
gjjvf
Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\ag
jjvf

Conficker.C...
DLL: C:\Windows\system32\mvfhnl.dll...clean (non existent)
Registry key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\e
nppfensf
Registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\en
ppfensf

C:\>

It makes up the dll name based on the pc name so dll name from one pc will not match the dll name of another.

Molondo

Platinum Member
Sep 6, 2005
On the Memory disinfector, all of them were no match. I had one that said Access denied.

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Imp
My AV is up to date, but thanks to all the hype, I will update my Windows for once.

Mine was too, but Conficker has hidden in my antivirus process. I ran those cleaner programs, but who knows. I really need to find my Vista disc and reinstall anyways, perhaps now is the time.

Edit - And apparently in windows defender too.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
Our security team is going crazy over this thing... be interesting to see what happens
Why? There have been plenty of botnet worms before that do the exact same thing. Why is everyone in such a tizzy over this one?

I've been through code red, nimbda, slammer, ect. None of them have spread as fast and been as destructive as this thing. Especially in a domain driven environement. It's replication method is pretty brutal and we've seen infections jump into several hundred in just an hour or so. I don't know if it's a primary intent or just a nice bonus perk that it can completely debilitate domain controllers.

What makes this one different is that if you have shared domain accounts, if one machine gets compromised with access to that account, it can infect others even if they are patched and have antivirus.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: vi edit
Originally posted by: ViRGE
Originally posted by: Joemonkey
Our security team is going crazy over this thing... be interesting to see what happens
Why? There have been plenty of botnet worms before that do the exact same thing. Why is everyone in such a tizzy over this one?

I've been through code red, nimbda, slammer, ect. None of them have spread as fast and been as destructive as this thing. .

Read the paper they just released on it :
http://www.honeynet.org/files/KYE-Conficker.pdf

It tells how it does what it does. I hate to say it, but it is a work of art .

Gunbuster

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
So why cant they monitor what it's checking for timesync and then forge the responses to set off the thing and find out where it will pull new instructions from. Then just DDOS that site.

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: Gunbuster
So why cant they monitor what it's checking for timesync and then forge the responses to set off the thing and find out where it will pull new instructions from. Then just DDOS that site.

It uses some 50,000 sites and creates hundreds more randomly on a daily basis. Time is pulled from websites like google, yahoo, facebook via the normal browsing experience. Blocking major sites like that would be impractical. That is why the creator(s) probably chose that method.

It is also using RSA encryption to protect its code and SSL to protect the data it sends/receives.

amdhunter

Lifer
May 19, 2003
I want in on this...anyone know where I can get infected? I have a VM I can use to play with this.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
I thought Skynet was a counter to another virus? Meaning if this thing goes crazy the govt is supposed to unleash Skynet which then decides the best way to fix the problem is start a nuclear war.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Originally posted by: TallBill
My AV is up to date, but thanks to all the hype, I will update my Windows for once.

Mine was too, but Conficker has hidden in my antivirus process. I ran those cleaner programs, but who knows. I really need to find my Vista disc and reinstall anyways, perhaps now is the time.

What the hell...

Damnit, wasn't going to pay much of any attention to this. Now I've gotta get out the paranoid hat.

nobody554

Jan 21, 2006
Originally posted by: amdhunter
I want in on this...anyone know where I can get infected? I have a VM I can use to play with this.

Ditto that. I wanna see what happens.

manowar821

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2007
Don't worry guys, it's happening all on april fools day, it's going to be a massive world-wide goat.cx attack. :D

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: nobody554
Originally posted by: amdhunter

Ditto that. I wanna see what happens.

Since version .B, Conficker has included virtual machine detection capabilities. It evaluates the result of the
SLDT instruction to determine whether it runs in a virtual environment.

You could install a OS on a separate HD though .

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
Originally posted by: TallBill

What the hell...

Damnit, wasn't going to pay much of any attention to this. Now I've gotta get out the paranoid hat.

Yeah it hides itself inside of other processes so that you can pull up task manager or process explorer and it will not show itself. You will just see the normal svchost.exe or av.exe

I also read about how you can have all the OS patches installed and while it cannot affect your machine, it still attempts to copy itself to other pc on the network and via usb drives.

Personally I think all we will see April 1st is conficker downloading an improved version of itself. It has already gone through a, b , c , so I guess the creator(s) are learning from each version , probably D tomorrow.

imported_Imp

Diamond Member
Dec 20, 2005
Can't wait until tomorrow. Just hope I'm a survivor cause I have nothing backed up. Keep telling myself to, maybe now's the time.

nobody554

Jan 21, 2006
From here.

Your first step should be the tools you already have: Windows Update, to make sure your computer is fully patched, and your current antivirus software, to make sure anything that slips through the cracks is caught.

But if Conficker's already on your machine, it may bypass certain subsystems and updating Windows and your antivirus at this point may not work. If you are worried about anything being amiss -- try booting into Safe Mode, which Conficker prevents, to check -- you should run a specialized tool to get rid of Conficker.