Conficker worm aka skynet

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
If things like this continue to become more common I may have to make a career change to cyber bounty hunter ! MS is offering $250,000 to whoever can find the creator(s).

Reading the fact sheet it so reminded me of skynet . They are referring to it like it has its own consciousness

http://lastwatchdog.com/evolut...r-globe-spanning-worm/

Sept. Chinese hackers begin selling a $37 malware kit designed to tap a newly-discovered security hole in a component of Windows, called RPC-DCOM, which enables file and print sharing. RPC-DCOM is built into all PCs of Windows XP vintage and earlier, some 800 million machines worldwide.

Oct. 15. MIT?s Dr. Ronald Rivest publishes a cutting- edge security technique, called the ?MIT MD6 hashing algorithm.?

Oct. 23. Microsoft issues a rare emergency patch for the RPC-DCOM vulnerability disclosed ? and exploited by ? the $37 malware kit.

Oct. - early Nov. Isolated ?gimmev? attacks unfold against unpatched PCs in Asia. Sunbelt Software reverse engineers one of the early attacks-in-the-wild. Sunbelt researcher Eric Sites discovers that gimmev installs a new Dynamic Link Library, or DLL, so that the next time the owner restarts his or her PC, a malicious Trojan takes root and continually runs in the background. Every 10 minutes, it copies all registry information, all logons stored by the Web browser and a bunch of other information and sends it back to the attacker.

Security experts begin to worry that someone will get the bright idea to create a self-replicating worm to seek out unpatched PCs. ?If other bad people find out how to use this, we?re big trouble,? Sites predicts. ?A Blaster-type worm could be created very easily, and wreak havoc.?

Nov. 20. Conficker A, a self-replicating worm that scans Internet-wide for other unpatched PCs to infect, begins to spread.

Nov. 26. Conficker A?s ?domain generation algorithm? activates. Infected PCs begin trying to contact a different set of 250 web domains daily for further instructions.

late Nov. Security firm Damballa issues a Conficker A census: 500,000 infected machines.

Dec 1. Conficker A-infected machines check in at trafficconverter.biz, following instructions hard-coded into Conficker. ?This was not part of the domain generation algorithm,? says F-Secure?s Patrik Runald. ?It attempted to do a download but the file wasn?t there.?

Trafficconverter is a site well known for fake security product. It becomes the basis for naming the worm Conficker. Prior to this the worm had been referred to as Downadup.

Dec. 24 -Dec. 27. Research firm SRI issues Conficker A census: 1.5 million infected machines.

late Dec. Conficker B begins spreading. It incorporates the MIT MD6 hashing algorithm to obscure all communications moving between infected PCs and the rendezvous points. This is done to prevent rival botnet groups from taking control; it also prevents security firms from inserting instructions to disinfect PCs.

Jan. 1. Conficker B initiates its own domain generation logic; infected PCs begin checking in at different sets of 250 rendezvous points .

Jan. 15. MIT discloses security hole in its cutting-edge MIT MD6 hasing algorithm and also delivers the patch. This means the coding used to obscure communications in Conficker A and Conficker B, unless patched, are vulnerable to hacks.
mid Jan. to early Feb. Conficker A and Conficker B population of machines explodes, grabbing news headlines.

Feb. Conficker B++ begins spreading; it adds new ways to spread, as well as new techniques to preserve infected PCs.

Feb. 12. Microsoft forms the Conficker Cabal; offers $250,000 bounty.
mid Feb.-Mar. The Cabal works to stop PCs from connecting to the daily list of 250 rendezvous points. This is accomplished by registering the known set of Conficker A and Conficker B domains, at least those that aren?t already registered.

Mar. 5. Conficker C begins updating all PCs infected with Conficker B and B++. Conficker C halts the Internet-wide scanning; it organizes the infected PCs into P2P networks; and it also embeds instructions for each infected PC, on April 1, to begin checking a random group of 500 rendezvous points selected from 50,000 domains. Finally, Conficker C also patches the security hole in the MIT MD6 hashing algorithm.

Apr. 1. All PCs updated with Conficker C are scheduled to begin checking 500 rendezvous points randomly selected from 50,000 web addresses for further instructions.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
We've been studying up a lot for this one. Of course our main Sys Engineer is gone this week, and I'll be out most of Tues and Wed...

Could get ugly.

James Bond

Diamond Member
Jan 21, 2005
Originally posted by: ElFenix
so what does this all mean?

There are hundreds of thousands of PC's around the world infected. At this moment, they are all standing by.

On April 1, they begin querying botnet websites for further instructions.

Anyone's guess, at that point. Could be bad.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001

It sounds like war. Good guys versus bad guys.
http://lastwatchdog.com/debate...oning-hom-april-fools/

The Microsoft-led group of defenders, known as the ?Conficker Cabal? has been locking down many of these domains so the bad guys cannot use them to send instructions to infected PCs. Though Microsoft did not invite SecureWorks to be part of the Cabal, Stewart says that the Cabal ought not be underestimated.

I hope the magicks of Microsoft's wizards will be enough to defend us.
All praise the Cabal.

Hacp

Lifer
Jun 8, 2005
We could just shut down the internet for a whole day. Then the hackers' plans will be foiled!

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
The biggest question on my mind... will the next version be called Conficker C++ or C#? :Q

Kev

Lifer
Dec 17, 2001
Originally posted by: James Bond

There are hundreds of thousands of PC's around the world infected. At this moment, they are all standing by.

On April 1, they begin querying botnet websites for further instructions.

Anyone's guess, at that point. Could be bad.

Conficker becomes self aware. In a panic, they try to pull the plug.

Demon-Xanth

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Watch, it ends up ejecting CDs and has a message saying "Here's your free cup holder." Culminating in the world's greatest april fools prank ever.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
On April 1st, all infected PCs will display a flashing text window stating "APRIL FOOLS!!!!111oneone"

and then the world will enter into panic, awaiting what comes next. And then nothing. For years. If ever.

That would be a hilarious virus. :D

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
All I can say is that anyone who has delt with this thing in any measurable capacity knows that it's a miserable bitch of a bug and able to bring an enterprise network to it's knees with very little effort.

I'm not looking forward to 4-1-09.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Cyber terrorism? Seems a bit more advanced than your usual basement hacker.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: vi edit
All I can say is that anyone who has dealt with this thing in any measurable capacity knows that it's a miserable bitch of a bug and able to bring an enterprise network to it's knees with very little effort.

I'm not looking forward to 4-1-09.

I agree

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: Atomic Playboy
They're going to discover it's just some kid going for the most elaborate April Fool's Day prank ever.
Originally posted by: destrekor
On April 1st, all infected PCs will display a flashing text window stating "APRIL FOOLS!!!!111oneone"

and then the world will enter into panic, awaiting what comes next. And then nothing. For years. If ever.

That would be a hilarious virus. :D
Yeah, the Conficker Cabal failed to notice that there was a comment block starter on one line, indented way to the right so as to avoid notice.
All the "malicious code" is actually commented out, except for the embedded "FLASH: APRIL FOOLS!!!" section.
:laugh:

Originally posted by: randay
is that why some guy asked me this morning if i knew who john connor was?
No, of course not. There is nothing unusual going on. Please continue to live your life normally. Thank you, and have a nice day. End communication.