Concert for Obama by Psy who called for US Troops and Families to be killed slowly

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
i don't think its a huge story. stupid of them to keep him on after it came out but in reality its not the story people are making it out to be.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Here is the specific incident it looks like that killed the Korean girls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yangju_highway_incident

Looks like the girls got hit by a 57-ton armored bridging vehicle (Ouch!!!) while walking along a narrow road.

The singer was expressing the rage that the country felt 8-years ago over the incident. Freedom of speech is just that and we should respect that. Do we really need to keep harping on things that happened in the past? I am sure that if we went back 8-years on those board we could probably dredge up something on anyone that has been around that long that they probably regret that they said.

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
It was an ugly thing to say, but it looks like a one-time rant.

The media's wharrgarbl is disproportionate to his initial wharrgarbl.

Matt1970

Lifer
Mar 19, 2007

Looks like the girls got hit by a 57-ton armored bridging vehicle (Ouch!!!) while walking along a narrow road.

The singer was expressing the rage that the country felt 8-years ago over the incident. Freedom of speech is just that and we should respect that. Do we really need to keep harping on things that happened in the past? I am sure that if we went back 8-years on those board we could probably dredge up something on anyone that has been around that long that they probably regret that they said.

Well clearly they did it on purpose. It's the evil United States.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
http://youtu.be/pKbVo6n5Lws

jCash-hall.jpg

This man got a medal for singing about killing his woman and snorting cocaine.

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
The singer was expressing the rage that the country felt 8-years ago over the incident. Freedom of speech is just that and we should respect that.

“Kill their daughters, mothers, daughters-in-law and fathers.”

“Kill them all slowly and painfully.”

Since less than one percent of the American population is active duty military, alot of people think that its okay to demonize them and their families.

Why don't you try saying something similar to the above quote about one of the more politically correct minorities? You think if you said something like that about blacks that you could claim freedom of speech?

Uno

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
Since less than one percent of the American population is active duty military

Cmon man. This is a baseless number if ever I saw one. Almost every family in this country has had someone in service at some point. My Grandfather fought in WW2, my Uncle was in the Navy, a Cousin in the Marines, etc etc etc.

The people in his country were pissed about what they thought was a very unjust trial for someone who killed one of their children in their land. Psy took the mic and acted as their voice. If we held a grudge against every person who spoke ill of America there would be about 10 million old white men left standing.

Get over it.

Brovane

Diamond Member
Dec 18, 2001
Since less than one percent of the American population is active duty military, alot of people think that its okay to demonize them and their families.

Why don't you try saying something similar to the above quote about one of the more politically correct minorities? You think if you said something like that about blacks that you could claim freedom of speech?

Uno

I am not saying it wasn't in bad taste. However no crime was comitted by him when he said those words. Just like if someone would have said the same thing about blacks, or whites etc.

werepossum

Elite Member
Jul 10, 2006

I hate to be insensitive, but if you're 13 and you get accidentally run over by an armored self-propelled bridge, that's natural selection. That's plenty old enough to have the sense to stay out of the way of a huge, slow, very wide vehicle which obviously has very limited visibility. That said, this is an accident that should never have happened. Narrow roads should be closed to civilian traffic when such large vehicles are being moved; that way we don't have to depend on children having good sense.

It was an ugly thing to say, but it looks like a one-time rant.

The media's wharrgarbl is disproportionate to his initial wharrgarbl.
Pretty much. If it's a reaction to a pretty horrific accident rather than a pattern of hate, let him apologize and consider it done. It's not like HE hurt anyone, he just ran his mouth out of anger.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
That comparison is beyond stupid. While Cash was a critic of the Vietnam war, he never criticized the troops doing the job they were ordered to do.

Point is, artists say and sing vitriolic shit all the time, take it for what they are, just words and lyrics from troubadours.

And you're an idiot if you don't see beyond the surface differences. So Johnny Cash sings about killing women and law enforcement officers. This guy sings about killing American soldiers. Are you saying one is more insensitive than the other?

unokitty

Diamond Member
Jan 5, 2012
Cmon man. This is a baseless number if ever I saw one.

"At any given time in the past decade, less than 1 percent of the American population has been on active military duty..."

New York Times:
As Fewer Americans Serve, Growing Gap Is Found Between Civilians and Military

You don't let the facts interfere with your bigotry do you?

I've got no argument with Psy.

I'm just refusing to drink the politically correct kool aid here and call American soldiers murders. Nor do I think that attempting to justify the call for their families to be tortured is kool either.

But hey, you are welcome to think that Psy's money justifies your bigotry... Its not like bigots let the facts get in their way anyway.

Uno

Last edited:

Pr0d1gy

Diamond Member
Jan 30, 2005
"At any given time in the past decade, less than 1 percent of the American population has been on active military duty..."

New York Times:
As Fewer Americans Serve, Growing Gap Is Found Between Civilians and Military

You don't let the facts interfere with your prejudices do you?

Uno

Baseless as in it does not address your perceived bias within the American populace. Baseless as in most American people have a family member in the armed forces at some point within the last 3 generations.

Of course you have to go stupid and make it about the actual number. derp

Druidx

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Point is, artists say and sing vitriolic shit all the time, take it for what they are, just words and lyrics from troubadours.

And you're an idiot if you don't see beyond the surface differences. So Johnny Cash sings about killing women and law enforcement officers. This guy sings about killing American soldiers. Are you saying one is more insensitive than the other?

No there is a huge difference between the two, they don't even compare.
BTW I already said I think this is a non story.

A non-American with prior un-American views resulting from the Iraq war and 2 girls being ran over by a US tank.
Please explain to me why this is even a story.

sigurros81

Platinum Member
Nov 30, 2010
Baseless as in it does not address your perceived bias within the American populace. Baseless as in most American people have a family member in the armed forces at some point within the last 3 generations.

Of course you have to go stupid and make it about the actual number. derp

haha. :thumbsup: