Computer Sciences or Information Systems?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cressida

Platinum Member
Sep 10, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
CS is the more useful degree (IMO), and in my experience companies will (almost) always accept a CS degree as proof of general computer knowledge (read: you can get basically any lower level IS job with a CS degree).
This is true, but if you're about to be hired as a CS guy, you're not seen as a guy with a ton of business sense. The guy who can talk to the customers. It depends if you want to be the coder or the IT/IS guy. The latter being more business-friendly and a lot of room for movement. The former is more the guy who works in the cube with his head down most of the day. There's a lot of competition for that already.

Just generalizations of course. In today's economy, I'd personally rather be the IT/IS guy.

Yes I would too, my friend just graduated (Computer Information System) currently has two job offers, both 50k+. I have a lot of CS friends and only about 10% can only find a job and not starting at 50k. :(

Danman

Lifer
Nov 9, 1999
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Originally posted by: Ameesh
IS is for CS flunkies and anyone who tells you otherwise is a flunkie themselves

Talk about being blunt - but true ;)

How is that true?! I am very good at programming, but I am CHOOSING to follow the IT/IST track since I want to do more in Oracle databasing, network security, etc. I think that statement is VERY rude and ignorant.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
Originally posted by: cashman
Originally posted by: RabidMongoose
Originally posted by: Ameesh
IS is for CS flunkies and anyone who tells you otherwise is a flunkie themselves

Talk about being blunt - but true ;)

How is that true?! I am very good at programming, but I am CHOOSING to follow the IT/IST track since I want to do more in Oracle databasing, network security, etc. I think that statement is VERY rude and ignorant.

Most people mean in a general society's viewpoint. For example, political science, history, etc. are viewed as easier majors, people drop out into them, etc. But there are some very smart people that choose those paths.

Another example are dentists. A lot of people think of them as people that couldn't make it to medical school. Of course some very intelligent people would rather go into dental school than medical school.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999

What classes are you taking that would qualify you to be a DBA OR a Security admin?
As someone working in Info Security right this second, I would assert that neither MIS OR CS will give you what you need.

I have a masters in MIS guy on my team who knows as little about running a database as I do. Neither of us could be a DBA. In fact, we actually tried for awhile, and our recommendation to the management was "Cough up the bucks and hire a REAL DBA." I have the knowledge to develop a database app. He knows a little bit of SQL. Neither of us know jack about optimizing or managing db servers.

Same with security....we both got a topical education, but nothing worthwhile. Truth is, we lucked into our respective positions.

funks

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2000
Let me just say another thing, after all the the development jobs are farmed overseas - pick one: {"india";"china";"phillippines"} businesses will still remain - and people with good business background will still have jobs. Especially those people that can relate between business, and the technological requirements to support said business.

People seem to be forgeting that Science in general can be learned given enough time. Arguing about how hard one field is == irrelevant when one is looking at the big picture.

wyvrn

Lifer
Feb 15, 2000
Originally posted by: Jzero

What classes are you taking that would qualify you to be a DBA OR a Security admin?
As someone working in Info Security right this second, I would assert that neither MIS OR CS will give you what you need.

I have a masters in MIS guy on my team who knows as little about running a database as I do. Neither of us could be a DBA. In fact, we actually tried for awhile, and our recommendation to the management was "Cough up the bucks and hire a REAL DBA." I have the knowledge to develop a database app. He knows a little bit of SQL. Neither of us know jack about optimizing or managing db servers.

Same with security....we both got a topical education, but nothing worthwhile. Truth is, we lucked into our respective positions.

An MBA in MIS shouldn't be running a database. An MIS student should not be hired to run a database or any specific system without further training/experience, such as a certification program or on the job project. This is the problem with companies, they hire a bunch of technology people and say go run it or go fix it without taking into account what their skillset is. MIS is a degree intended to facilitate interaction between the technical workers and the other stakeholders, ie: management and end users. A lot of the problems in IT come down to not hiring the right person for the right application. That doesn't mean someone cannot learn new skills, but if you are going to do that then you need to provide the right training to get those skills before expecting the person to do the job. CS, EE, and IS people all have their strengths and purposes and can add value to an organization. Contrary to the chest thumpers here who believe CS folks are the top of the food chain intellectually, which is not neccessarily true.

More personality type than anything. He is a chest thumper that needs to feed his ego by pointing out his proficiency in a specific field and giving absolute value to that knowledge.

Jzero

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
An MBA in MIS shouldn't be running a database.
He does NOT have an MBA. He has an MSIS degree. What is the typical career path of someone with such a degree?
That doesn't mean someone cannot learn new skills, but if you are going to do that then you need to provide the right training to get those skills before expecting the person to do the job.
That seems rather shortsighted. My company, for instance, is in the business of providing performance management software and services. Why would we provide training on third party apps? Why would we hire a DBA that needs to be trained to be a DBA instead of hiring a DBA who can hit the ground running? The only training we should have to give to a DBA is about how our software uses the databases and how our enterprise operates. He needs to bring the expertise to manage the database according to our business needs. It makes sense to provide training on our proprietary applications or applications for which we already have in-house expertise, but not just any application conceivable.

You still didn't answer my question, anyway. The poster specifically stated that he chose IS because he wants to be a DBA or a Security Admin.

My experience, having done both and having had someone with an MSIS degree sitting next to me the whole time, is that NEITHER program prepares you to get a job in either of those fields.

My question was: what leads him to believe that it will?

gopunk

Lifer
Jul 7, 2001
Originally posted by: funks
Let me just say another thing, after all the the development jobs are farmed overseas - pick one: {"india";"china";"phillippines"} businesses will still remain - and people with good business background will still have jobs. Especially those people that can relate between business, and the technological requirements to support said business.

People seem to be forgeting that Science in general can be learned given enough time. Arguing about how hard one field is == irrelevant when one is looking at the big picture.

just about anything can be learned given enough time.