computer restarts same time every day

johnh123

Jan 27, 2005
About a week ago, my computer began to shutdown and reboot on its own every day at 11:49 am. I can't figure out why- there is nothing in my scheduled tasks that would do it. Any ideas as to what may be going on?

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
It is possible that some recently installed app may have set that up. Go to Control Panel and check out your Power Options.

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
After you checked your power options and plan settings, the next thing you need to do is a full virus & spyware scan. We are assuming that you haven't installed any "intelligent" energy management software. But it looks like someone got their hands into your computer.

NesuD

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
About a week ago, my computer began to shutdown and reboot on its own every day at 11:49 am. I can't figure out why- there is nothing in my scheduled tasks that would do it. Any ideas as to what may be going on?

Are you present when it happens? or is there no one around when it happens.

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Is this an "normal" shutdown (where the applications and services shut down properly), or is this a "pull-the-plug" type shutdown. Look at the Windows System Event and Application Event Logs for what's happening at that time each day.

johnh123

Jan 27, 2005
I am present when it happens. Nothing in the power settings. Here is what the event log says:

The process winlogon.exe has initiated the restart of xxx for the following reason: No title for the reason could be found
Minor reason: 0xff
Shutdown type: reboot

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Any idea what happened a week ago? Hardware or software install? Windows Update? Change in antivirus?

Zargon

Lifer
Nov 3, 2009
oddly enough, my brothers PC is doing something similar

except it wakes up and makes a god awful noise for 5 minutes then stops and goes back to doing nothing

no notifications nothing, I know this, because I slept in his office on a futon over xmas and it did it to me, and I couldnt figure out why

just like yours, nothing odd in task scheduler

TJCS

Nov 3, 2009
If your computer has never done this before, and you understand what software you have installed on your PC then it can only be one of these three things.:

***1. You Got A Virus.
2. Hardware Failure
3. Someone else using your pc and tampering with settings behind your back.

KGB

Diamond Member
May 11, 2000
If your computer has never done this before, and you understand what software you have installed on your PC then it can only be one of these three things.:

***1. You Got A Virus.
2. Hardware Failure
3. Someone else using your pc and tampering with settings behind your back.

Is this PC on a UPS? Check your AC lines.

johnh123

Jan 27, 2005
Checked for blaster and full virus scan; nothing found. But, it IS on a UPS- what do you mean, check my AC lines?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Didn't know you have a UPS.

Uninstall the UPS software and completely disconnect the UPS from the computer, reboot the computer, and wait for 11:49.

Last edited:

johnh123

Jan 27, 2005
Uninstall the UPS software and completely disconnect the UPS from the computer, reboot the computer, and wait for 11:49.

Ok, wow, that did the trick. The question is, why did it start doing that, and is it safe to reinstall the software?

RebateMonger

Elite Member
Dec 24, 2005
Ok, wow, that did the trick. The question is, why did it start doing that, and is it safe to reinstall the software?
Glad it worked for you. I HATE UPS software. It causes more trouble than it prevents. The UPS software is sensing a power glitch and is shutting down the PC.

The problem could either be the UPS or the software or the AC line. Check the Application Event Log for any errors related to the UPS software. You can try installing the very latest version of the software and see if that works.

If it still shuts down, you may need a new UPS battery or a new UPS.

Last edited:

ezzemoney

Jul 25, 2016
every morning My computer looks like it has rebooted to the start up windows screen (7 Ultimate), it will finish rebooting but I cannot figure out why, my settings have not changed.