Question Computer Crashes with several programs open

guggas

Dec 14, 2013
I have a computer that I built several years ago that I use for work. The primary program that I use is a somewhat obscure CAD drafting program called Carlson Survey. Most of the time, my computer runs flawlessly, but sometimes when I have several programs open it crashes. I'm not sure crashes is the correct word, but the CAD program will become unresponsive, it will not accept or respond to commands and also windows explorer also becomes non responsive. Some programs remain responsive though. The issue only happens when I have several programs open such as: 2 instances of the CAD software, 5 or 6 chrome tabs, google earth, google maps, pandora radio, and dropbox. Thats about what I'm typically running when the crashes happen. While running those programs the crashing can happen 3 to 4 times per day. I sometimes keep an eye on my cpu and memory utilization in task manager, but I dont seem to be maxing out my hardware, I think.

I know my system is pretty dated, but I think its kinda overkill for the programs I'm running.

System Specs:

AsRock Z87 Extreme4
I5-4670k, not overclocked
12GB Ram
Seasonic X650
Nvidia GTX 1650
Boot Drive: Crucial M4 128GB 2.5" SATA III Solid State Drive (SSD)
Storage: WD Blue 1 TB HDD
Windows 10 pro 64bit

Things I have tried to stop the issue:
Reinstalled Windows on the boot drive (I was on windows 7 and did a reformat and clean install of windows 10 about 6 months ago) and of course reinstalled all of my programs
I upgraded my graphics card (I was using a GTX750TI previously)
I have spoken with the tech support for the CAD program(who are quite helpful usually) and they said that this is not a common issue and they don't know what might be causing it.

The crashes still persist, I've considered just building a completely new computer, and I probably will if I cant solve the issue, but I would like to pinpoint the actual issue if possible, any ideas or troubleshooting tips?
Thanks

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
If swapping the PSU doesn't fix the issue and you haven't recently done it, it might not be a bad idea to run manufacturer diagnostics on both your SSD and your data drive. Depending upon age, either could be on the way out. I'd then follow that with memory testing (Windows' memory diagnostic would work) as well.

Additionally, what USB devices are you running?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'll just add, make sure that your CPU HSF (heatsink / fan) is clean and not dusty, and that the CPU fan spins up when you start the PC. Normally, you can notice with a temp monitoring tool like HWMonitor (free), if the CPU is overheating and/or throttling. But that can cause issues.

So can running out of RAM, if your OS is on a HDD, you can get symptoms like that, or if you have a SATA device that is "not responding" in the system (such as a failing HDD, which can happen when they get old).

Reactions: guggas

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
OH! That's a Crucial M4 drive. Is the firmware updated? Do the crashes happen nearly exactly an hour each time after you boot? If so, it's a known firmware bug in those drives, and can be fixed with a firmware update.

(Or replace the primary OS SATA SSD with a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB or so, and then re-install Windows and your programs on the new SSD.)

Reactions: guggas

guggas

Dec 14, 2013
Thanks for the replies and suggestions guys. I will try swapping out the psu if I can figure out how to get my hands on a spare one. As I'm sure you guys know psu's are hard to come by right now. I have one sitting in a computer that I just built for my brother, that he hasnt picked up yet, I may pull that one out if I can't find a decent buy for a new one.

Edit: I ordered this one: https://www.newegg.com/evga-750-b5-220-b5-0750-v1-750w/p/N82E16817438165?Item=N82E16817438165
Do you think thats an ok buy for $110 + tax and shipping?
I was going to get the 550 or 650watt version but the 750 was actually cheaper.

I hope its not my power supply because I really like my modular seasonic :). In the mean time, as far as the other suggestions:

I thought I had the most up to date bios but apparently I don't. I'm on version 2.7 and the current version is 3.4, I think I had tried to update in the past and had problems getting it installed successfully. I'll try again.

I ran crucial, western digital's and windows memory diagnostics and they all came back with a Pass.
I did have a firmware update available on the M4 that was release in 2013 and I installed that this morning. I cant say if the crashes had been happening an hour apart, I'm not sure, but I don't think so.

My cpu heatsink and fan is the stock one and it is a little dirty, according to core temp i'm idling at about 38°C and with a typical load I'm getting around 55-60°C on the high end. I ran prime95 for a little while just to see what would happen and it got in the upper 90's after about 5 minutes so I turned it off. I will take the heatsink off and clean it and repaste with some thermal grizzly that I have, just for good measure.

As far as other usb devices I'm running I have a logitech mouse and keyboard, and an Anker usb hub, the usb hub doesn't have anything plugged into it usually, I only use it occasionally.

Thanks again, I'll report back with some results when I get them, good or bad.

Last edited:
Reactions: DAPUNISHER

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Thanks for the update, and hope you get it sorted out soon. Always a bummer when a system gets wonky.