Computer Crashes Often and I am Unable to Render my Video Project in Adobe Media Encoder

Loriene

Apr 4, 2018
There are multiple problems that have occured on my computer since around, or maybe later than, March 8th of this year.

Basically, if I use intensive programs, my computer crashes. Before these problems occured, my PC was completely fine and could render projects at at most 3 hours. It never crashed.

One of my main problems is that I cannot render my video project through Adobe Media Encoder, even though I was able to render video projects just fine before. The video project, which lasts for about 12 seconds and uses the plugins twitch, magic bullet looks, and s_shake along with 3D camera, stops rendering a minute into rendering it through Adobe Media Encoder, showing an unknown error in the log. Even if I cut the project in half and render from the middle, it still crashes a minute into rendering and this time, and shows “Windows has encountered a critical problem and will restart automatically in one minute. Please save your work now.”

This message occured more often before I tried removing all threats through Malwarebytes, because I suspected it might be a virus. It still occurs sometimes, especially if I’m using more than one program at a time.

• When I am using more than one program at a time, for example, Chrome and Adobe After Effects, both crash after leaving them on for a while.

• Even if I’m not using intensive programs and I’m just using two browsers, both will crash after some time.

• Even if I’m using only one program, if I leave the PC on for a while and it goes into sleep mode, often it I’ll have to log back in and I can type my password, but I won’t be able to press enter. After waiting a while, the PC crashes and restarts itself.

• A more recent problem that’s popped up is that even if I just use Chrome and leave just 4-5 tabs open, Chrome will crash a few minutes later. When I try to open up Chrome again, it crashes immediately and then my whole computer crashes.

Not to mention, the MP4 files that I had renamed to MOV worked in Adobe After Effects prior to this problem. Now, they won’t work in Adobe After Effects and show as missing video files. I usually like using MOV files because they don’t glitch in After Effects like MP4 files do.

So far, I’ve downloaded Malwarebytes, Panda Dome, Microsoft Security Essentials and Avast to scan and get rid of problems with viruses on my computer. I also updated my drivers with Avast. The problems still persist.

I suspect that it could be because my CPU overheated, because my PC always makes loud noises while it’s rendering, and I render video projects often. However, my video projects are always under 15 seconds.

I’ve also checked to see how high the temperature of my CPU goes up when I render in Adobe Media Encoder, and it will only go up 66 degrees at most. It stays between 50 - 66 degrees.

Specs:

Operating System - Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1 (32 bit)

Processor - AMD Phenom™ 9500 Quad-Core Processor, 2200 Mhz

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce 8500 GT

System Model - GX612AAR-ABA m8330f

RAM - 3.00 GB (Memory Type: DDR2 [PC2-5300])

I would appreciate any help on this! I will also provide more computer specs if asked ^^

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
An original Phenom? Maybe you need to re-paste, or possibly the paste has dried under the heatspreader, and there's nothing to do but "de-lid".

A rig of that age, I'd start looking for bulging / discolored caps on the mobo.

Maybe this is a subtle hint to upgrade?

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
That's not a lot of RAM for Windows 7/10. If you are using multiple tabs in Chrome or using Adobe Creative Cloud apps you really need more RAM. If you don't have the budget for a new system you can get by with that system for basic use, but the combination of those apps and modern Windows really needs at least 4GB RAM, and 8GB is a better minimum.

There might be other factors at play (components may be overheating in there, I'd use HWInfo/HWMonitor to check all temps - symptoms also could be symptomatic of failing hard drives), but I'd check memory usage in Task Manager to confirm that it's insufficient memory. If you can, I suggest building/buying a new system rather than upgrading because that system is rather long in tooth at this point, especially for video editing or multitasking.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
It's possible that the OP has 4GB or 8GB of RAM, but is limited to 3.0GB of usable RAM by the fact that they are using 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

Crono

Lifer
Aug 8, 2001
It's possible that the OP has 4GB or 8GB of RAM, but is limited to 3.0GB of usable RAM by the fact that they are using 32-bit Windows 7 Ultimate.

It's possible. Googling that model shows 3GB stock configuration, though, which makes sense if it shipped with 32-bit Windows and DDR2.

I see OP cross-posted this on other forums/boards as well.

IntelUser2000

Elite Member
Oct 14, 2003
Run Scandisk/Chkdsk. On Windows 7, you can right click on drive properties, check disk for errors. Make sure you check the option to find and fix errors. Restart, and the computer will do its job.

If that doesn't work, it may be something wrong with the drive itself. Run a drive scanning utility.

When running anti virus, you'd want to run them offline, if the problems are so serious it hampers the operation of the computer. Better yet, try running them on safe mode.

Ketchup

Elite Member
Sep 1, 2002
My first thought when I started reading the OP was overheating. I would agree with the re-apply of thermal paste on the CPU (and possibly the GPU) before persuing other avenues.

One you get the system stable, I would plan on a Windows re-install to make sure no further malware is still in the system.