compusa has windows xp home sp2 upgrade for $39.99 no rebate!!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I have one of these. If anyone wants it and will repay the original cost plus tax and shipping ( paypal only ) lemme know

Pending to cherrytwist

AtomSmasher

May 19, 2000
Good Thread !! My local CUsa was OOS, went across the street to BestBuy & they pricematched without any questions. Perfect for my mothers system.

FrankSchwab

Nov 8, 2002
Thanks, wandered in this morning and picked one up.

Wandered by the Ink aisle to find a generic cartridge for my Epson CX5400, and found the normal $12.98 ink cartridge ($7.98 for generic) on "manager's special" for $3.98 for yellow, $4.98 for Cyan, and $7.98 for Magenta For Genuine Epson Dure-Brite inks! None of the other Epson Cartridges were on sale, just the ones for my printer. So, this $40 copy of Windows ended up costing my $100, but I feel like I got a deal.

/frank

cherrytwist

Diamond Member
Apr 11, 2000
Originally posted by: nutxo
I have one of these. If anyone wants it and will repay the original cost plus tax and shipping ( paypal only ) lemme know

Thanks for hooking up a fellow AT member :)

Mirross

Dec 9, 2003
Can someone help me out? I completed the Tech Guarantee Process and printed out the receipt, but the zip code doesn't print for the Microsoft address in Buffalo. Anyone have it?

Thump553

Lifer
Jun 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Mirross
Can someone help me out? I completed the Tech Guarantee Process and printed out the receipt, but the zip code doesn't print for the Microsoft address in Buffalo. Anyone have it?

Go here US Postal Service to look up your zip code.

doctorbear

Oct 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Mirross

Microsoft Corporation
PO Box 1096
Buffalo, NY 14240-1096

Coolgreany

Feb 21, 2001
Went to PM at Staples, Leesburg VA - was willing to PM but OOS.

Went to OD nearby and cashier PM'd no questions asked (I left a printout from compusa.com showing the $39.99 price. No clue whether the local Compusa had in stock or not!

nole1fan

Nov 2, 2005
How this upgrade will work if your existing XP has been given to you by your "friend".

tuffgong

Jan 20, 2005
Your "friend" needs to have "bought" the copy in the given time period. And you need to get the box top from your "friend."

I got a response from Microsoft. If you want to do multiple upgrades, you have to submit three different times, but you can mail your supplies in the same envelope.

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Originally posted by: tuffgong
Your "friend" needs to have "bought" the copy in the given time period. And you need to get the box top from your "friend."

I got a response from Microsoft. If you want to do multiple upgrades, you have to submit three different times, but you can mail your supplies in the same envelope.

And your "friend" needs to give you a copy of the receipt. Of course they could always claim they were they rightful owner of the original receipt and submit a different boxtop and you would be screwed. That is the trouble with relying on "friends" in these circumstances. You won't know if your "friend" is out to screw you until you don't get the upgrade.

LostWanderer

Sep 20, 2005
I'm not thread crappin, good deal if you got in on it. CompUSA just sucks. I'm never going there again.

Checked online last night and said "In-Stock" went there today and sign on shelf said ask a CSR, so I asked the clerk for the version on sale for $40. Clueless guy was like uh I gotta get keys to get it for you. He goes in the back and after like 5 minutes gets the stand-alone and not the upgrade. Rings it up at $95 and tells me that'll be $95 yada yada. I said no the $40 one on sale, he talks to some other clueless guy and I hear him ask if he has keys. Apparently he didn't want to interupt his boss's nap again. Anyway, other clueless guy says no and after some hand waiving he comes back and says "uh we're sold out". I've read bad things about others (Tiger Direct), but really this has to be the worst retailer around....

BTW - Shows OOS now so no deal pricematching to Staples.

Hmm, I hear Linux isn't that bad....

:thumbsdown:

tuffgong

Jan 20, 2005
Originally posted by: LostWanderer
I'm not thread crappin, good deal if you got in on it. CompUSA just sucks. I'm never going there again.

Checked online last night and said "In-Stock" went there today and sign on shelf said ask a CSR, so I asked the clerk for the version on sale for $40. Clueless guy was like uh I gotta get keys to get it for you. He goes in the back and after like 5 minutes gets the stand-alone and not the upgrade. Rings it up at $95 and tells me that'll be $95 yada yada. I said no the $40 one on sale, he talks to some other clueless guy and I hear him ask if he has keys. Apparently he didn't want to interupt his boss's nap again. Anyway, other clueless guy says no and after some hand waiving he comes back and says "uh we're sold out". I've read bad things about others (Tiger Direct), but really this has to be the worst retailer around....

Wow...my story was going the same way....guy went in the back with keys..except my guy was nice and offered to ring up three different receipts for me...even came to the register with me to make sure I got the discount then shook my hand before I left. $130 OTO for 3.

Mar 4, 2005
Has anyone gotten a confirmation e-mail back from MS or do they wait till they are shipped? Also.....when do you have to send in the proof of purchase.....thanks.

KeypoX

Diamond Member
Aug 31, 2003
Originally posted by: tuffgong

Wow...my story was going the same way....guy went in the back with keys..except my guy was nice and offered to ring up three different receipts for me...even came to the register with me to make sure I got the discount then shook my hand before I left. $130 OTO for 3.

Compusa >>>>BB

BIGFOOTPI

Golden Member
Mar 8, 2005
received the 3 copies for my work and one copy for myself today (from staples phone orders)

slashbinslashbash

Golden Member
Feb 29, 2004

Haha, that sounds almost exactly like what went down at CUSA when I went in yesterday. Except I think this guy was the manager. He was helping out somebody in the next aisle, I popped my head over and said "Excuse me, do you have XP Home Upgrade?" He said "Yeah, they're just in the back, I need to go get it for you." He went to the locker and came back with the full version. I said "I need the upgrade version, not the full version" and he seemed surprised. He went and looked again and couldn't find any. He went up to the customer service desk to check the computer, and the dude there knew what was going on and said "We're out of those, unless there happens to be one that somebody returned in that cabinet." So the manager dude looked there, then looked it up in the computer and said there should be 2 copies in the store, but they couldn't find them. (I checked the CUSA site right before I went, and it said "Limited Quantities" at this location.)

Anyway, I grabbed a flyer, drove the quarter mile to Best Buy and PM'd there, although it looked like they had very few in stock. Thankfully, the girl didn't give me any hassles about the PM.

Thanks OP! Nice to get a cheap copy of XP with a free upgrade to Vista, even if it's the crappiest Vista. I had been planning on waiting a couple of years for Vista to mature anyway, so this just puts me ahead of my plans.