Company of Heroes Strategy

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
So I'm working through my list of games to complete and am playing Company of Heroes last night (the first one) and get a wild hair up my ass that makes me go play some MP.

I actually did pretty well for the first few fights, but now the automatching is setting me up with people who have played 1000 games. Needless to say it's a pointless battle and just ends with me being frustrated. So I'm looking for some tips.

I usually play American, but I'm open to using any class, just as long as someone can give me some strategy help.

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
I've shared your experience, I used to want to test my mettle in that game online and relic paired me up against what seemed like god-generals. I stopped playing online. Many players also start new accounts to look like noobs when they're really really skilled and just want to obliterate people and laugh about it to their bro crew.

I used to play American and Wehrmacht. I'm not sure any of my tips would still be valid.

Maximilian

Lifer
Feb 8, 2004
My best tip for CoH is just have fun.... avoid automatch and host your own games, 4v4 on montargis is a blast somtimes and the scheldt is always pretty fun just make sure you are on the axis team.

If you cant avoid automatch then in 1v1's its basically all about knowing the maps, you have to get the highest fuel point or if there isnt a highest then the most fuel points, maintain an edge on fuel whilest getting an M8 out and some sort of AT.

I havent 1v1ed since the panzer elite were good back in patch 2.4 as i got bored with it but its basically the same stuff, get best fuel point, get AT asap, mess up his guys with anti infantry, sniper, mg, rifles etc, stay in heavy or medium cover whenever possible and use buildings especially for MG's.

Imp

Lifer
Feb 8, 2000
I gave up. Co-op was the funnest. You mainly played defense against hordes of CPU controlled stuff.

Matchmaking was turd, and people kept getting disconnected. If they didn't, most of the matches were, like a previous poster said, completely unbalanced. I usually suck at strategy games cause I'm slow and focus on defense, so maybe you'll have better luck.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
Smurfing. I discovered that this is rampant in CoH so I went back to DoW2.

For the longest time I tried to get a co-worked in on a game...he bought it...played a couple of games and hated it.

I played on and off...and what helped me was watching replays to see how the advanced players play...

http://www.talesfromthebattlefield.com/

Also there are a TON of sites where you can download peoples replays and watch them over and over to see what works and what doesn't.

I wish I had someone to learn the ropes with cause I like a good strategy game...

al981

Golden Member
May 28, 2009
auto match = ladder.

join normal games...they're much better. machine guns in buildings / snipers early to hold major choke positions (oil, munitions), back them up with a few engineers/ pioneers with 1 flamethrower. use cover or walls (green shield) to minimize losses. if things aren't going your way, retreat....it sends your troops running back to base qickly.

for americans, i enjoy the airborne (with anti tank bazookas) + infantry with BAR upgrade. airborne allows you to call in drops for + munitions and oil.... very OP. plus airborne can reiforce themselves anywhere on the field, and call in machine gun or bomb airstrikes. again, OP. the infantry will help suppress enemy infantry, which is airborne's main weakness. research grenades, and your airborne + infantry will wipe upgraded wehrmacht infantry.

for wermacht, it seems most go upgraded tanks or upgraded infantry. your pick, can't go wrong... position your tanks so that the fronts are facing the enemy (right click on the map, hold right mouse button, rotate, release)

Last edited:

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
For those of you that are talking about learning with someone...I'd be down. We can just setup some times to get on and play. If anyone's interested just PM me.

I'm going to be unable to play all of next week (doing a full remodel on both bathrooms), but after that, I would love to have some other noobies to learn with.

Also, for those giving some strategy, I appreciate it. I don't even know what buildings I should have. I mean I obviously have a barracks and tank production line, but it seems that I'm missing something. I think that being oil starved has been one of my main issues looking back on it. I'll have to try to get engies to the fuel depots and setup some guns there.

Vdubchaos

Lifer
Nov 11, 2009
I always thought that Single player COH was great.

Multiplayer was just HORRIBLE. I've tried it many times and each time it seems like people I play advance in tech SO much faster then me. Heck many times I couldn't even build a tank depot before other already had 3-4 elite tanks at my headquuarters.

Multiplayer felt like a game of who can click the fastest vs using your brain.

I simply did not enjoy multiplayer experience AT ALL.

I did go back few months ago and noticed the Relic update thing (that was just horrible). I think it took 2-3 days and TENS of updates just to get the game updated.

THEN, since I didn't have a expansion pack, I ended up playing with people that did and they had some crazy units/experience that I obviously couldn't match.

Again left me with sour taste. I do go back and play against my sons or single, that is fun IMO.

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
COH is all about holding the line and where you set it. Know the maps, and know which positions to hold to know how to bleed the opponent dry. Constantly attack those supply lines by using small diversion attacks on their base.

Spread the attacks out, no matter how ineffective they maybe in the beginning just to confuse the shit out of the opponent.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003
I've shared your experience, I used to want to test my mettle in that game online and relic paired me up against what seemed like god-generals. I stopped playing online. Many players also start new accounts to look like noobs when they're really really skilled and just want to obliterate people and laugh about it to their bro crew.

I'm not sure how it is now, but 1-2 years ago when I was playing a lot of CoH this was impossible. The game ties your ranking to your cd key, so even if you create another account, it will match you up based on your highest ranking on your main account.

One of the first things you need when starting to play online is a good build order. Don't try to figure one out yourself at first. Check out www.gamereplays.org and to see the most common build orders, and practice them offline till you have them down.

Contrary to what people are saying here, I think 1v1 automatches are the best way to go at the start. You're going to be losing a lot at first, but once you get good enough to hang with the low ranking players (not that hard) your win/loss should stay about even. If you're getting absolutely destroyed in a match, don't feel bad about resigning early. If you play unranked matches, you're going to be facing better players on average than low ranked automatches. If you play team matches your teammates are gonna be pissed that they're playing with a noob.

ibex333

Diamond Member
Mar 26, 2005
Personally, I think that CoH, while being a great game, is inherently unbalanced. The "stuka" should simply be removed from the game, or it should be nurfed to the point where it does even less damage than what it's already doing, and has less accuracy. (and yes I know it was nerfed a few times already) I know how some people say that if the german player was able to get a stuka at all, it means that I am a very poor player. I think that's BS. A stuka is relatively easy and fast to get when resources are managed properly. Also a good german player will usually be able to avoid his stuka getting killed by constantly moving around.

As if the god damned stuka was not enough, the hotchkiss was added, and despite the fact that it may seem like a small, light tank, when used properly it is absolutely devastating.

I feel like the Americans and Brits got screwed in the expansion, and the germans got the best deal. Sure, the new allied units have some use(especially the kangaroo), but the german ones are still better.

But what pisses me off the most, by far, is the constant hacking/cheating... Very often, when me and my friend would do well against the germans, they would simply execute a hack that would drop everyone from the game and result in a victory given to the germans. On top of that the bastards would constantly use glitched perma cloaked PAKs, slowly advancing to my main base. This strategy is extremely hard to counter...

I heard there was a patch released that supposedly fixed these issues, but I was too upset and frustrated by then to continue...

Luckily I did have my share of wins with the Brits. I found that a good build order, paired with infantry heavy tactics and slow advancement toward the enemy base with mortar pits and other defense installations works best. The PIATs are not to be underestimated either, even though they are by far worse than the german panzerfausts and bazookas.

I agree with the previous poster about spreading out.. It's very important to use light, fast units to run around the map capping points. You may not be able to always use brute force, but if you were able to outresource your opponent, you already won half the battle, if not more.

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
If you are going american... you need to rush because once the heavy armors start rolling out you can't put up much of a fight. Don't rely to much on art because its basically hit or miss.. sometimes its a god send and other times you are like wtf why isnt it hitting. COH has this rock paper scissor + roll of the dice (for random ness) knowing which units will counter others and know how to cover all your units from thier r/p/s is key. Basically you cant spam only just one unit or units that only kills tanks or inf.

I stopped play because sometimes the game makes no sense what so ever. There are times when your guys will demolish other units and then in the next game those same units get rolled. Also there are hackers, drop hackers and others, when you play for so long, some things just seem rather impossible, you can only go so far and say its game mechanics.

edit: Ive been tempted to reinstall the game just to play a couple of games but it gets rather frustrating when hacks do happen.

Last edited:

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Cool, thanks for all the tips. The other problem I'm starting to notice is that there really aren't that many people playing this game anymore. I was on last night at about 11:00 CST and there were only 50 matches. I ended up just Skirmishing against the computer.

leeland

Diamond Member
Dec 12, 2000
I would think if you can get into a game with someone from ATOT around your same skill level you will have a lot of fun...

I tried to play the campaign to try to teach myself units, maps, and build tree's...got side tracked and haven't gotten back to it...but when I was rollin' on the campaign it was a hoot...

If you ever want to try to play against a total noob I believe my username is TalkToLee if you want to add me...

Modular

Diamond Member
Jul 1, 2005
Sure, I'll add you. Mine is M0dular - Someone stole my name so I had to use a zero : (

heat901

Dec 17, 2009
Weeknights at 11:00 isnt really a good time... around 9 pm EST I know players start dropping like flys...

Dorkenstein

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2004
Watch some of the replays on the CoH forum. That is the fastest and best way to learn, IMO.

Or, you could be like me and over-analyze every replay you watch to the extent that you can't remember build orders or full strategies and never learn a damn thing. Actually, don't do that.

zerocool84

Lifer
Nov 11, 2004
I tried playing multiplayer and always got raped. Too many good people out there. Even ones that are close to your level. I just stick to playing single player.