Common problem: Heel slipping out of shoes

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
You know how when you stand on your tippy toes your whole shoe is supposed to kinda conform to your foots shape and whatever... well, with some shoes the back of the shoe just doesn't come up with me. Instead, my heel slips out of the shoe entirely or just some of the shoe. This could be because of bad sizing, but I am wearing some shoes that are definitely quite small/my-size-maybe-small-even and it happens with those.

Any ideas how to fix this? I can only find products for womens high heel shoes from Google searching. Figured ATOT, the true omnipotent source, would know how to solve. I'm talking about dress shoes btw.

Thanks

Last edited:

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
maybe you need a wider shoe, but smaller size. some people don't realize they need a wider, but smaller (shorter) shoe , so they just get a bigger size to accommodate the front half of the foot and that leaves the heal out in the cold, as you describe

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
maybe you need a wider shoe, but smaller size. some people don't realize they need a wider, but smaller (shorter) shoe , so they just get a bigger size to accommodate the front half of the foot and that leaves the heal out in the cold, as you describe

This actually. I find I need wide. By the time I get to a size that fits me and does not feel too tight, there's like an inch of toe clearance because it's too long.

Dress shoes are hilarious, they make them so long and it's hard to find them in wide format, I look like Ronald McDonald in lot of them. :biggrin:

Theb

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
So all the products designed to solve your problem are made for women... and that doesn't indicate anything to you?

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
This actually. I find I need wide. By the time I get to a size that fits me and does not feel too tight, there's like an inch of toe clearance because it's too long.

Dress shoes are hilarious, they make them so long and it's hard to find them in wide format, I look like Ronald McDonald in lot of them. :biggrin:

I'm not sure if I have the wide foot problem. It's hard to tell. I'm definitely losing my manliness though in this whole situation.

I used to be a 10. Now I'm probably a 9. Now I'm reconsidering and thinking I am more likely an 8.5 or 8. Which is weird because my Nike's that are 10s seem fine. I have converse that are 9s and feel large though. (Like my toe's aren't hitting the ends properly)

Sigh... I don't go shoe shopping that often and I bought these online. I'm keeping the shoes for now. It's weird though. If I press hard into the shoe then I get a lot of heel space. And I get a lot of heel slipping if I don't have these babies laced down well. But that ends up creating noise because the material is rubbing up on itself so well. BLAH. /don'twanttopayshippingbothwaysforanexperiment ($20+)

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Go to a decent shoe store and get yourself measured in a Brannock device, on both feet. You'll want to note both the toe length, the ball length, and the width.

The most important measurement is the width; you should not feel pinched, and remember that your feet are usually not their biggest at the shoe store. Next, make sure your toes aren't pinched. Extra space at the toes is fine. Next, make sure the natural bend of the shoe is where your pinky's main joint is; too short or too long will result in pain.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
Go to a decent shoe store and get yourself measured in a Brannock device, on both feet. You'll want to note both the toe length, the ball length, and the width.

The most important measurement is the width; you should not feel pinched, and remember that your feet are usually not their biggest at the shoe store. Next, make sure your toes aren't pinched. Extra space at the toes is fine. Next, make sure the natural bend of the shoe is where your pinky's main joint is; too short or too long will result in pain.

Yeah I think I am going to go to a foot locker or something and just get that done (Pretty much any shoe store has a few on hand). I know how to measure it correctly now. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e77-iGq2oyY Watched that and it is pretty informative.

Skillet49

Aug 3, 2007
You might just have a narrow heal. I do, and it was always a pain. I can usually get away with not having shoes slip by going 1/2 size smaller, but it doesn't work in all shoes. I'm not sure how hard it is to get narrow shoes in men's shoes though.

TridenT

Lifer
Sep 4, 2006
I've got narrow feet it seems. I'm a size C or so for both of my feet. I'm a size 8.5-9.0 for both feet too. Metathing is at 9.5-10 for both. They're not perfectly symmetric feet, but they're close.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm size 12 and a B width. Try dealing with that. Uhg.

SlitheryDee

Lifer
Feb 2, 2005
Usually manufacturers recommend that you buy your shoes with some slippage in the heel when they're new. The idea being that when the sole gets more flexible from wear the heel will more readily follow your heel as you walk. If your heel is slipping out of the shoe entirely that is probably too much. I would recommend a more narrow size, perhaps a B or C width. IMO it's a mistake to try to get a size so small that your toes are crammed into the end just to keep the heel from slipping. Ultimately that will cause much more discomfort because the toe box in shoe won't stretch like the rest of the shoe will. It will hurt badly after extended wear. Get a narrow size if you must, but make sure you get them long enough.

Edit: Also, your toe should NOT touch the end of the shoe. You should have at least 1/2 inch of space between the end of your toe and the end of the shoe.

Last edited:

PieIsAwesome

Diamond Member
Feb 11, 2007
I'm not sure if I have the wide foot problem. It's hard to tell. I'm definitely losing my manliness though in this whole situation.

I used to be a 10. Now I'm probably a 9. Now I'm reconsidering and thinking I am more likely an 8.5 or 8. Which is weird because my Nike's that are 10s seem fine. I have converse that are 9s and feel large though. (Like my toe's aren't hitting the ends properly)

Sigh... I don't go shoe shopping that often and I bought these online. I'm keeping the shoes for now. It's weird though. If I press hard into the shoe then I get a lot of heel space. And I get a lot of heel slipping if I don't have these babies laced down well. But that ends up creating noise because the material is rubbing up on itself so well. BLAH. /don'twanttopayshippingbothwaysforanexperiment ($20+)

Converse and Nike's are not true to size. There is even variation between shoes of the same brand. Jack Purcells and Chuck Taylors are sized differently, for example.