Common Misconceptions About Modern Video Cards and Graphics

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I'm attempting to compile a list of commonly misunderstood concepts about graphics and graphics cards. Please feel free to suggest your own, or correct any mistakes I have made. Please note that I WILL NOT correct mistakes until your correction is confirmed by at least two other people, or supported with a credible article.

I will attempt to give credit where it's due, but I cannot guarantee that I will mention everyone's name for every tidbit of information. Generally speaking, I'll pull the names of the first one or two people that contribute useful information on a topic. Sorry to anyone else that helps but got their answer in after the buzzer.

Q. I want to upgrade my 8800 GT. I saw a 9400 GT in the store. The number is higher... is that better for playing games?
A. NO! Generally speaking, the first number in a video card's "name" designates the series it belongs to. So, the 8800 GT is a Nvidia "8 series" card, while the 9400 GT is a "9 series." The remaining numbers distinguish the card's place in the series. The higher the place, the more capable the card is (usually for gaming). Low-numbered cards (9400 GT, GeForce 210, HD 5450, etc.) are generally designed for low-end, 2D applications such as simple office tasks or light HTPC work. Mid-numbered cards (9500 GT, HD 4670, HD 5570, etc.) are geared toward full HTPC use and light gaming. Higher-numbered cards (HD 5750, GTX 260, HD 4890, GTX 480) are geared toward playing 3D games. While a higher series number generally indicates a newer and therefore more advanced video card (e.g. HD 4000 series vs. HD 5000 series), it does not indicate a performance increase as a whole. A low or mid-range card from a newer series is almost always trumped by a high-end card from the previous series, though there are some exceptions. When in doubt, check a GPU benchmark like Anandtech's, or this one from Tom's hardware.

Q. I'm looking at two video cards - one has 512MB of RAM, and the other has 1GB. Is the 1GB card faster? - Thanks betasub and LoneNinja
A. Not necessarily. As with the question above, the video card's GPU is the primary factor in the card's overall performance, so a high-end card with less memory will almost always outperform a mid-range card with more memory. Furthermore, you must also take into account the type / speed of RAM. With two nearly identical cards (9600 GSO for example), one using GDDR3 and the other using GDDR2, the GDDR3 card will most likely be more powerful. Similarly, the memory bus width comes into play (128-bit, 256-bit, 384-bit, etc.), and a wider bus is almost always a benefit when all else is equal. Finally, some cards that are otherwise identical have other inherent differences that also contribute to performance discrepancies, such as in the case of the GTX 460 768MB vs. 1GB. With two video cards that are completely identical (same GPU, same memory type, same memory bus width, reference PCB, reference cooler, etc.) except for the amount of RAM on the card, more RAM is never a bad thing. Additional video RAM can make a performance difference depending on the resolution of your monitor and the type of games you play - higher resolutions require more video RAM. Just like above, when in doubt, check out benchmarks for the cards you're comparing.

Q. I want to upgrade. Am I CPU-bottlenecked or GPU-bottlenecked?
A. Aside from the obvious (an HD 4850 paired with an Athlon 64 4000+, or an i7-920 paired with a 9600 GT, for example), it really depends on your resolution and the games you play. Lower resolutions are more dependent on the CPU, while higher resolutions benefit more from a GPU. Additionally, games that are more focused on 3D environments (usually first person view), beautiful scenery, and details are often more GPU-bound, while birds-eye view or isometric strategy games tend to be a bit more CPU-bound. There is no one-size-fits-all strategy, so ask when in doubt.

Q. I have an AMD motherboard / processor, but I want to use a Nvidia graphics card (or vice versa). Will it work? - Thanks betasub and LoneNinja
A. Yes. While there are some minor compatibility problems with some motherboards, all that generally matters is the video card's interface (PCI-E, AGP, or PCI). If your motherboard has the correct slot for the video card you bought / want to buy, you're good to go. The same does not hold true for SLI and Crossfire - while Crossfire works on nearly all recent motherboards / chipsets with two PCI-E x16 or x8 slots, SLI is limited to motherboards that license the technology from Nvidia (or find some sort of work-around). In general, SLI works on all recent Nvidia chipsets (some higher-end 4-series, most high-end 5, 6, and 7 series), Intel X58 chipset motherboards, and select Intel P55 chipset motherboards. SLI does not work on motherboards with AMD chipsets, or most unmentioned motherboard chipsets (P965, X38, P45, etc.) without third-party driver workarounds. Check your motherboard's manual or product sheet to be sure.

Q. My motherboard only has PCI-E 1.0, but the new graphics card I bought uses PCI-E 2.0 (or vice versa). Will it work? - Thanks cusideabelincoln
A. Yes. In someone's infinite wisdom, they choose to make PCI Express both backward and forward compatible, meaning that an older PCI-E version motherboard can be used with a newer PCI-E version video card, and a newer PCI-E version motherboard can be used with an older PCI-E version graphis card. Keep in mind that PCI-E version 1.0 only has half the bandwidth of PCI-E 2.0, so a 1.0 x16 slot has the equivalent bandwidth of a 2.0 x8 slot. This generally won't make a big performance difference, but it could hurt performance numbers slightly, especially with a top-end Crossfire or SLI configuration.

Q. Is it better to buy a single high-end card and use it alone, or two less powerful cards for SLI / Crossfire? - Thanks Ancalagon44 and toyota
A. It really boils down to how much the cards are going to cost and how well they perform. SLI and Crossfire often does not scale 100%, meaning that you don't get double the performance for having double the video cards. You might get 50-80% extra performance from the second card, for example, but it greatly depends on the card, the drivers, and the game / benchmark; in rare cases, multi-GPU setups perform worse than just a single card of the same type. Use graphics benchmarks to determine how well the Crossfire or SLI setup performs compared to the single video card, and determine based on overall price from there. When in doubt, a single card is often the safer way to go, as there are less performance caveats or driver problems to deal with - you can always add a second card later on. The no-brainer exception is when a less powerful card goes on sale for an unbelievable price, and when SLI'd or Crossfired, it easily beats a far more expensive option, OR when you're running at an "extreme" resolution or graphics settings (2560x1600 with anti-aliasing for example) and a single card simply isn't fast enough to keep up.

Q. My motherboard doesn't support x16/x16 PCI-E lanes, only x8/x8. Should I bother with SLI / Crossfire?
A. If that's your cup of tea, sure. Here's a great comparison of an HD 5870 Crossfire setup benchmarked at various PCI-E link speeds. As you can see, x8/x8 takes a minor performance hit, x4/x4 takes a moderate hit, and only x1/x1 really loses a ton of performance. Remember that older motherboards with PCI-E 1.0 (as opposed to 2.0 and higher on modern motherboards) already run at half the bandwidth, so PCI-E 1.0 x16 is equivalent to PCI-E 2.0 x8.

Q. I just bought a laptop / notebook with a Mobility Radeon HD 5870! Can I play any game I want at 1920x1080 with all settings cranked up, just like I can with my desktop HD 5870?
A. No. Mobile video cards aren't the same as their desktop counter parts. They're much smaller, and they must fit into a much more strict thermal envelope due to the laptop's size and cooling capacity. For example, a Mobility Radeon HD 5870 is rumored to be roughly equivalent to an under-clocked desktop HD 5770. It's one of the fastest graphics chips you can get for a laptop at the moment, but it still doesn't hold a candle to what a desktop can do.

Q. My laptop / motherboard has integrated Intel graphics, such as the GMA X4500MHD. What games can I play?
A. Not many, honestly. You can play web- (Flash-) based games (assuming the rest of the system is up to the task) such as on sites like Facebook, Pogo, Yahoo / MSN / etc. You should be able to play older games like Starcraft, Warcraft III, Age of Empires, etc. without many problems. Expect any 3D games from the past 5 years or so to crawl.

Q. The video card I want to buy has a really big fan. That means it'll be loud, right?
A. Probably not, but possibly. The size of the fan doesn't directly determine the overall noise level; the fan's RPM and several other factors do. With that said, a larger fan generally moves more air for a given RPM, and more air flow means more heat moved away from the hot components. So, a larger fan will generally be quieter than a small fan.

Q. I compared two video cards in the same test, and one ran at 65C under load, while the other got up to 80C! Will the first one dump less heat out into my case?
A. Maybe, or maybe not. A video card's (presumably GPU's) temperature under idle or load doesn't directly indicate how much heat it's putting out into the environment. Rather, it indicates how well the heat sink / fan / water block moves heat away from the area where the temperature reading is being taken. No matter how much heat the heat sink is dissipating, the heat still has to go somewhere. The statistic to look at is the GPU's thermal design power (TDP). A lower TDP will usually mean less heat pumped out in the first place.

Q. I do lots of Photoshop work. What graphics card should I get? (Pending Revision, thanks kalniel)
A. If you already have some sort of decent discrete or even integrated card, you probably don't need an upgrade. While GPU acceleration is available for some tasks in Photoshop, it is limited to specific cards (professional cards like Quadro or FireGL and a few desktop consumer / gaming cards), and generally not worth it for "average" Photoshop work. Your money is better spent on memory, monitors with superior panels (IPS, PVA / MVA), a colorimeter to calibrate your monitor, or even a CPU upgrade.

Stickied temporarily. Will remain if the OP keeps up with it.
Anandtech Moderator - Keysplayr

Have unstickied as OP has not been updated in over four months.

Super Moderator BFG10K.

Last edited by a moderator:

betasub

Platinum Member
Mar 22, 2006
"My system takes DDR2 RAM, therefore I must get a graphics card with DDR2".

"My motherboard has an AMD-ATI or Nvidia chipset, so I can't add-in a graphics card from the other".

"That FX5200 with 1GB onboard is faster than any other card with only 512MB".

LoneNinja

Jan 5, 2009
Few things to add which will help clear things up, I know some of this was already mentioned but I"m gonna repeat it as I feel it should be added.

Does the ram on the GPU need to match the type my desktop uses?

How about ending that rumor that AMD/ATI play good together while Intel/Nvidia play good together. I've seen plenty of people say you shouldn't cross companies and use Nvidia with AMD for example. lol

The game requires 512mb vram, why can't my 9400GT 1Gb card handle it? Explain that the amount of Vram a card has means little compared to the actual gpu it's paired with.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
we will still have to address the vast majority of questions on a case by case basis. all the info in the world means little to people that don't understand it in the first place. just think of the thousands of people that buy games without looking at the requirements because they have no clue what the mean anyway. on top of that just look at all the idiotic gaming related vids and their corresponding comments on youtube.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
I want SLI and/or CrossFire but my maximum res is 1920x1080.

No, you dont. SLI and/or CrossFire is only necessary when your res is 2560 x 1600 and you want to run 8xAA. For everyone else, its better to get a single powerful card than 2 less powerful ones. Less heat issues, less power drain, less space issues, less upgrade hassles, less driver hassles. And if you are thinking of buying one card now and one later, it works out better to buy a new card to replace the old one anyway. It will be faster and better in every way and give you less hassles than 2 cards would.

99% of people have absolutely no use for it, UNLESS you can get the second card cheap or free.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

No, you dont. SLI and/or CrossFire is only necessary when your res is 2560 x 1600 and you want to run 8xAA. For everyone else, its better to get a single powerful card than 2 less powerful ones. Less heat issues, less power drain, less space issues, less upgrade hassles, less driver hassles. And if you are thinking of buying one card now and one later, it works out better to buy a new card to replace the old one anyway. It will be faster and better in every way and give you less hassles than 2 cards would.

99% of people have absolutely no use for it, UNLESS you can get the second card cheap or free.
sli/crossfire is just fine for some people at 1920 and it should be looked at on a case by case basis. if you think that 2560x1600 and 8x AA or better is the only situation where sli/crossfire is useful then you don't have a clue about the demands of some modern games.

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
sli/crossfire is just fine for some people at 1920 and it should be looked at on a case by case basis. if you think that 2560x1600 and 8x AA or better is the only situation where sli/crossfire is useful then you don't have a clue about the demands of some modern games.

I game at 1920 with a 5770, trust me, no need for Crossfire 5770's. If I needed more horsepower, I would get a 5870, not another 5770. Or at least I would have bought one originally.

Only in very rare circumstances and in the most demanding games would you need more. Maybe in Metro 2033 and Crysis but thats about it. Everything else will run just fine on a 5870. Find me a game, besides those two, that would get less than 30FPS average at that res.

kalniel

Aug 16, 2010
Q. I do lots of Photoshop work. What graphics card should I get?
A. If you already have some sort of decent discrete or even integrated card, you probably don't need an upgrade. While GPU acceleration is available for some tasks in Photoshop, it is limited to specific cards (professional cards like Quadro or FireGL and a few desktop consumer / gaming cards), and generally not worth it for "average" Photoshop work. Your money is better spent on memory, monitors with superior panels (IPS, PVA / MVA), a colorimeter to calibrate your monitor, or even a CPU upgrade.

This is out of date. GPU acceleration is not limited to specific cards, the requirements are that the card must:
adobe said:
  • support OpenGL, a software and hardware standard that accelerates video processing when working with large or complex images, including 3D
  • have at least 128 MB of RAM; 256 MB or more is recommended
  • have a display driver that supports OpenGL 2.0 and Shader Model 3.0, which is used by the GPU to perform rendering effects

So nearly all modern desktop cards accelerate photoshop now.

More information can be found here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/404/kb404898.html

And the list of cards that have been tested with CS5 can be found here:
http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/831/cpsid_83117.html

adobe said:
NVIDIA GeForce
7000, 8000, 9000, 100, 200, 400 series

NVIDIA Quadro FX
x500, x700, x800, FX370, FX380, FX580 series, Quadro CX cards
(The x represents the initial version number of the card. For example, x500 represents all card lines that end in 500: the 4500, the 3500, and the 1500 ines of cards.)

ATI Radeon
2000, 3000, 4000, 5000 series

Note: ATI X 1000 series cards are no longer being tested.

ATI FireGL
FireGL (R600 family GPUs x6xx series): V3600, V5600, V7600, V7700, V8600, V8650
FirePro (R700 family GPUs X7xx series): V3700 ,V3750, V5700, V7750, V8700, V8750
ATI FirePro
FirePro (R800 family GPUs x8xx series): V3800, V3850, V5800, V7800, V8800

Intel
Intel HD Graphics
Intel GMA 4-Series Chipset

Macintosh
Macbook Air Intel GMA X3100

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
I game at 1920 with a 5770, trust me, no need for Crossfire 5770's. If I needed more horsepower, I would get a 5870, not another 5770. Or at least I would have bought one originally.

Only in very rare circumstances and in the most demanding games would you need more. Maybe in Metro 2033 and Crysis but thats about it. Everything else will run just fine on a 5870. Find me a game, besides those two, that would get less than 30FPS average at that res.
so 30fps is your standard? well guess what? not everybody is happy with 30fps. some people want the highest possible settings and 40, 50, and sometimes even 60 fps. also some people might want to run 3D setup too. again that's why I say take it on a case by case basis especially in a forum that contains many enthusiasts. and yeah in most cases, I do agree with getting the fastest single card whenever possible.

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
so 30fps is your standard? well guess what? not everybody is happy with 30fps. some people want the highest possible settings and 40, 50, and sometimes even 60 fps. also some people might want to run 3D setup too. again that's why I say take it on a case by case basis especially in a forum that contains many enthusiasts. and yeah in most cases, I do agree with getting the fastest single card whenever possible.

That may be true, but I think we can agree on the following two things:

1. Its better to have a single powerful card, even its a 5870X2, rather than CrossFire.
2. Most people who buy SLI/CrossFire motherboards never use the capability, hence, dont buy a motherboard just because it supports multi GPU.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008

tell that to my 5870x2 setup which only runs crysis @ 45ps on gamer + enthusiasts shaders with minimal AA @ 900 core/stock mem. crossfire is most definitely worth it at 1920x1080 and 1200, SLI even more so cause of scaling benefits currently. if you have a 120hz monitor then the difference is easily noticed well past 60fps in fast paced games as well, and this setup is perfect for pushing up to 120fps max in for example BC2 at 4xAA. dont have a 120hz monitor myself (still hoping for 1920x1200 120hz some day) but im REALLY sensitive to aliasing (drives me fucking insane sometimes, i rely on minute details in all situations to react quickly), so using 8xAA or multicard exclusive AA methods (for performance reasons) makes a big difference for me when i can do it. there are plenty of games though which 2 OCed 5870s cant even max out yet though still, and only a few less on the list that 2xOC 480s cant max out as well, at 1920 res (talking 60FPS + average @ max), including some games which have been out for a good while now. 2560x1600 is a bit of a different story due to the % of the market using this res and the cost to entry, but at the same time while plenty have the cash for a 1 time buy on a big monitor (relatively speaking), very few have the cash for even 1 30 inch AND an up to date gaming rig which can handle this resolution maxing out newer games consistently (as best as can be done), so looking to 1920 for competitive gaming at comparable quality settings makes a lot of sense for most gamers right now since a 1920x1080 monitor can be had for as cheap as $170 depending on where you live ($200 if you live in california, monitor recycling fee or shipping it from out of state, either way comes out about 190-200). when the monitor can be had for half the price of at average one card to run in a dual card setup, it makes a lot more sense that someone with a high budget might put 2 of them in

ed: for the record, i bought this setup not expecting to ever go to a dual card setup, ended up building a second and having 2 cards in each. as has been shown, situations can definitely change! was it worth it though in the end? HELL FUCKING YES! got an MSI 890FXA-GD70 now as well that im gonna be using as a server board, learning the lay of. if it supports bulldozer at launch though, gonna get a second and put at least 3 of the 5870s in one box. gonna be an interesting experience personally benching that setup, even up to 4 GPUS. got the case and PSU for it good to go, just need a worthy cpu, since i dont expect to get more than 3.6 + unlock core out of this x3 720 BE C2 i got off newegg recently for $105 on the cheap lol

Last edited:

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
tell that to my 5870x2 setup which only runs crysis @ 45ps on gamer + enthusiasts shaders with minimal AA @ 900 core/stock mem. crossfire is most definitely worth it at 1920x1080 and 1200, SLI even more so cause of scaling benefits currently. if you have a 120hz monitor then the difference is easily noticed well past 60fps in fast paced games as well, and this setup is perfect for pushing up to 120fps max in for example BC2 at 4xAA. dont have a 120hz monitor myself (still hoping for 1920x1200 120hz some day) but im REALLY sensitive to aliasing (drives me fucking insane sometimes, i rely on minute details in all situations to react quickly), so using 8xAA or multicard exclusive AA methods (for performance reasons) makes a big difference for me when i can do it. there are plenty of games though which 2 OCed 5870s cant even max out yet though still, and only a few less on the list that 2xOC 480s cant max out as well, at 1920 res (talking 60FPS + average @ max), including some games which have been out for a good while now. 2560x1600 is a bit of a different story due to the % of the market using this res and the cost to entry, but at the same time while plenty have the cash for a 1 time buy on a big monitor (relatively speaking), very few have the cash for even 1 30 inch AND an up to date gaming rig which can handle this resolution maxing out newer games consistently (as best as can be done), so looking to 1920 for competitive gaming at comparable quality settings makes a lot of sense for most gamers right now since a 1920x1080 monitor can be had for as cheap as $170 depending on where you live ($200 if you live in california, monitor recycling fee or shipping it from out of state, either way comes out about 190-200). when the monitor can be had for half the price of at average one card to run in a dual card setup, it makes a lot more sense that someone with a high budget might put 2 of them in

How many people do you think actually need that or would actually notice the difference between 4xAA or 8xAA? Many?

For most gamers, its pointless.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
sure, most gamers wont, but there's still 3D to take into account. cutting your refresh in half from 120 to 60 effectively, you can notice a good difference still between the FPS if it drops considerably lower since you're rendering each frame twice but slightly differently. i can assure you there are definitely more gamers which have a 3D ready setup than will notice the difference from 4x to 8x AA, though while my current setup doesnt support it, say 2x 460 850mhz+ OC or 2 480s will definitely make sense if you have that setup now, and 2 460 1GB 850mhz OC can be had factory OCed for a lot less than 2 stock 5870s can be had :D. if you already have the monitor, its still cheaper for 2 460 OC + 3D vision glasses than for 2 5870s. sure, you can OC the 5870s higher, but if you are considering rendering for 3D vision then it doesnt matter anyway until AMD releases their counterpart

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
But still you miss the point - how many gamers have a screen let alone a rig capable of 3D projections?

How many have need for anything other than a single 5870?

A lot of gamers dont even notice a lack of AA at 1920x1080.

faxon

Platinum Member
May 23, 2008
everyone i know has a 1920x1200 panel or higher and they all have said they think its worth the coin to upgrade if you play current games. one of them is more in the vein of what you're saying, he had only a 5850 at 2560x1600 (dell 30") for quite a while playing BC2 on it, but he still ended up getting a 5970 in the end. the only reason i didnt force him to install his 5850 in with it in trifire (his PSU could do it np) was because he offered it to me for $200 since i have space for it in my new 890fx server for milkyway@home. other guy i know doesnt have his second 5870 yet, but he was bugging me to sell him one for a while @ used pricing as well, so chances are he's gonna get a second as well. also of note, they all only had 1680x1050 monitors, and were aware of the performance a 5870 gets at that res before i asked them. one of these guys (the 30" monitor guy) has a trust fund, so its kind of a select case, but the other guy makes less than i do (we both still live at home), and doesnt use them for DC hardly ever, thus not caring about putting tons of money into it for the good of people. of the custom built gaming systems i have build this year, i have sold 11 fermi cards, 5 480s 6 470s, and 12 5870s 3 5850s, and about 40 5770s. of the people buying 480s, 2 were buying 2, one was buying one. the 470 owners were one guy buying 3 ( 2 rigs, 2 for one 1 for another), another guy buying 2, and one buying one. thats a 50/50 sli vs non sli on 470s. the 5870 buyers i dealt with had a similar mix, though i often also see groups come in and buy a 5870 per person. saw 2 brothers and a friend today (who i didnt help) all buy a 5870, but thats 3 guys who could potentially have one buy up, and sell the card to another as well. the 5850 buyers all went single card, but about half the 5770 buyers went crossfire from the get go (thats 20 customers), playing at 1920x1080 or 1200, citing overclocking of each GPU and price (was $340 total vs 1 5870 @ 430 before tax, makes sense). i think a good number of people regularly violate many of these recommendations even after being fully educated on the topic with a very logical and justifiable reason for doing so (citing either price/performance or raw performance/money non issue/want)

ed: as a reminder, i work in fry's palo alto as a salesman. for fun i like to track all my sales on gaming systems to see what my personal sample is. sometimes the results are as expected, but im still surprised at how many people i see coming in to get these kinds of setups, even knowing i live in one of the top 10th of a % richest areas on the planet, since most of the people buying these setups dont actually have a ton more money than i do. most are college students or retired people, with the filthy rich actually taking up a rather small % in comparison

Last edited:

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Faxon is certainly right about how it really is a case by case basis at 1920, even more so if it is 1200p. Though my one 5870 oced is fine for now, there are several reasons I want to get another. For one, many modern games do benefit from it, such as crysis, SC2 with AA, and certainly upcoming anticipated games like Doom 4, Rage, and Crysis 2. I am sure there are more.

So ya, it can help with "Future proofing" though obviously we can only do so much there.

I also work at frys electronics in palo alto, and today I sold 2 5870's to one guy, who had an HP pavilion elite with a 980x. I took him to faxon to get a new PSU of course, and from there we recommended he get a new case for better cooling rofl.

This guy was gaming at 1080p, and his 980x isnt going to be oced like mine is. (well, mb later, idk.)

So ya, depends on the games, and for crunching or benchmarking it also helps of course.

On a final note, I am looking forward to getting another 5870, I just hope the reference xfx ones arnt too hard to find. Will probably wait till the 475 is out for better prices. Unless ppl think the stock will be gone by then, idk?

Stay tuned, I will also attempt to up the OC on the 5870 to 1 GHz soon, and mb 1300 on memory. Fun stuff :D

TemjinGold

Diamond Member
Dec 16, 2006
But still you miss the point - how many gamers have a screen let alone a rig capable of 3D projections?

How many have need for anything other than a single 5870?

A lot of gamers dont even notice a lack of AA at 1920x1080.

How many isn't the point. You can't make a blanket statement about how people shouldn't get SLI/XFire just because YOU are perfectly fine with 30 FPS on the games you play. There are people out there who would build a system just to play Metro/Crysis/etc.

And since 30 is your standard, you obviously don't play too many FPS games because 30 is barely tolerable if that in that genre. It's fine for RTS games and the like.

Ancalagon44

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2010
How many isn't the point. You can't make a blanket statement about how people shouldn't get SLI/XFire just because YOU are perfectly fine with 30 FPS on the games you play. There are people out there who would build a system just to play Metro/Crysis/etc.

And since 30 is your standard, you obviously don't play too many FPS games because 30 is barely tolerable if that in that genre. It's fine for RTS games and the like.

No, it kinda is the point.

So many people want to recommend 1000W PSUs and multi GPU motherboards to gamers, when most people have no need of either.

30 to 60 FPS is fine for me, and you know what, its also fine for the majority of gamers. How many people do you think own a 5870 or anything better? 5% of gamers? Less? For your average gamer, a 5870 is horsepower that he cant afford and probably wont need. So advising him to even bother with XFire is just the most pointless waste of time, and bad advice IMHO.

cusideabelincoln

Diamond Member
Aug 3, 2008
PCIE 1.0/1.1 vs 2.0

You know what to say: The specification is backwards-forwards compatible, although there are a few individual circumstances where a motherboard doesn't like a video card of a different generation.

CurseTheSky

Diamond Member
Oct 21, 2006
I added a few new questions. Hopefully what I wrote about SLI / Crossfire vs. single GPU takes a middle ground stance (generalized for the "general population").

Thanks for the suggestions everyone.