Commercials thanking the President...is this normal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Dunno about precedent (outside of reelection bid). I do think that it's actually a good idea for furthering his cause. Which sucks. We might learn from countries with corrupt totalitarians, though, in that (at least for a while) the propaganda can be quite successful.

If this weren't Trump, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I could have sworn we already made a thread about this.
Am I losing my marbles?

Not this specific instance of it, I think. It's the same basic conversation as in a thread about the unbelievable suckage from his cabinet & another we had about Pence's incredible fellatio skills.

Like I said, it's weird God-King leader cult shit.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Conservatives are administering therapy on their leader over television.

This feels more like an absolutely tone deaf appeal to his base and the public a whole. I think that's what really bothers me. His approval is a historical low, the tax bill was historically low in approval, he's done nothing of significant merit to improve security or help vets. And the whole attack on Christmas was nothing but manufactured bullshit. And they parade this out trying to make an emotional appeal to all that he has accomplished.

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
This feels more like an absolutely tone deaf appeal to his base and the public a whole. I think that's what really bothers me. His approval is a historical low, the tax bill was historically low in approval, he's done nothing of significant merit to improve security or help vets. And the whole attack on Christmas was nothing but manufactured bullshit. And they parade this out trying to make an emotional appeal to all that he has accomplished.

His core supporters still support him like I've never seen and eat this kinds of stuff up. My inlaws talked yesterday about if the GOP CONgress hadn't changed T-Rump's tax plan so much, it would have been ALL middle class and nothing for the rich. Nevermind that automatic Medicare and Medicaid spending cuts are going to be kicking in and they and many of their government dependent family members will be kicked in the wallet.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Dunno about precedent (outside of reelection bid). I do think that it's actually a good idea for furthering his cause. Which sucks. We might learn from countries with corrupt totalitarians, though, in that (at least for a while) the propaganda can be quite successful.

If this weren't Trump, I don't know how I'd feel about it.

I don't have a problem with a president touting his accomplishments. I do have a problem with him lying about them.

Jul 9, 2009
Care to actually answer the question? Has there been another president that had commercials aired to flatter him?
Most of them haven't needed them due to reasonably fair coverage from the media. In the face of unremitting negative coverage then supporters of President Trump resort to paying for positive ads themselves

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/12/media-bias-continues-90-of-trump-coverage-in-last-/

"The working relationship between President Trump and the news media shows no signs of improving. Journalists continue to appear aggressively hostile toward the president, according to research released Tuesday by the Media Research Center, a conservative press watchdog.

The new study of major broadcast coverage reveals that 90 percent of statements made by reporters and nonpartisan sources the last three months on ABC, NBC and CBS evening newscasts about Mr. Trump and his administration were negative."

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/02/5550...trump-more-negative-than-for-other-presidents

"Compared to other recent presidents, news reports about President Trump have been more focused on his personality than his policy, and are more likely to carry negative assessments of his actions, according to a new study from the Pew Research Center's Journalism Project."

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
Most of them haven't needed them due to reasonably fair coverage from the media. In the face of unremitting negative coverage then supporters of President Trump resort to paying for positive ads themselves

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/dec/12/media-bias-continues-90-of-trump-coverage-in-last-/

"The working relationship between President Trump and the news media shows no signs of improving. Journalists continue to appear aggressively hostile toward the president, according to research released Tuesday by the Media Research Center, a conservative press watchdog.

The new study of major broadcast coverage reveals that 90 percent of statements made by reporters and nonpartisan sources the last three months on ABC, NBC and CBS evening newscasts about Mr. Trump and his administration were negative."

https://www.npr.org/2017/10/02/5550...trump-more-negative-than-for-other-presidents

"Compared to other recent presidents, news reports about President Trump have been more focused on his personality than his policy, and are more likely to carry negative assessments of his actions, according to a new study from the Pew Research Center's Journalism Project."

HA! The press is hostile in self defense against a national leader who has called "fake" every negative news story and called for what amounts to an end of the free press.

Dude. If you want cherries, that's cool, but cherry picking your data for an argument without proper context is called "bias."

Reactions: DarthKyrie
Jul 9, 2009
HA! The press is hostile in self defense against a national leader who has called "fake" every negative news story and called for what amounts to an end of the free press.

Dude. If you want cherries, that's cool, but cherry picking your data for an argument without proper context is called "bias."
I'm a private citizen, it's perfectly acceptable for me to be biased and partisan. It shouldn't be acceptable for most Americans that the press they depend on is also partisan and biased and makes little effort to be fair and honest and balanced. You may like it because it fits your own particular confirmation bias and fits your own partisanship, but it doesn't fit mine.

Amused

Elite Member
Apr 14, 2001
I'm a private citizen, it's perfectly acceptable for me to be biased and partisan. It shouldn't be acceptable for most Americans that the press they depend on is also partisan and biased and makes little effort to be fair and honest and balanced. You may like it because it fits your own particular confirmation bias and fits your own partisanship, but it doesn't fit mine.

Translated: I'm entitled to my own facts.

No. No you're not.

Reactions: Bowfinger

Starbuck1975

Lifer
Jan 6, 2005
Yeh, but he's not just some jerk down the block- he's President & you voted for him
I meant Trump is hardly peerless compared to other leaders and American Presidents in particular.

Also, didn't vote for Trump.

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
I can't really recall a single analog under previous admins.

I'll just chalk this up as more propaganda. More weak bullshit aimed at idiots by a disastrous admin, one that conspires with Russians, obstructs justice, corrupts the separation of powers, and enriches itself at the tax payer's expense.

Koolaid drinking Dump voters will lap it up, I'm sure.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000

Isn't it amazing that the guy who constantly complains about media bias consistently links to biased media? Hell, the link he quoted even mentions that the study comes from a conservative source.

dank69

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Good question for you to raise with Donna Brazile. She had some choice commentary on titanic egos.
Yes and I'm sure you'd dismiss anything she says as lies right up until she told you something you wanted to hear.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
I don't have a problem with a president touting his accomplishments. I do have a problem with him lying about them.

Are the commercials lies? Or a different perspective? I guess the Merry Christmas thing is close enough to an outright falsehood.

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
Are the commercials lies? Or a different perspective? I guess the Merry Christmas thing is close enough to an outright falsehood.

They are indeed lies.

He didn't fix the economy, it was already fixed when he came into office.
He hasn't kept America any safer than any other president (in fact we've had the second largest terrorist attack on America already in Las Vegas).
I'm not sure what putting America first means but we don't lead in a single metric other than military spending.
He didn't remind anyone that we should stand for the national anthem.
He didn't allow people to now say merry Christmas again.

The only fact was that people will get a tax cut (although the commercial implies that people are already getting that tax cut).

bshole

Diamond Member
Mar 12, 2013
They are indeed lies.

He didn't fix the economy, it was already fixed when he came into office.
He hasn't kept America any safer than any other president (in fact we've had the second largest terrorist attack on America already in Las Vegas).
I'm not sure what putting America first means but we don't lead in a single metric other than military spending.
He didn't remind anyone that we should stand for the national anthem.
He didn't allow people to now say merry Christmas again.

The only fact was that people will get a tax cut (although the commercial implies that people are already getting that tax cut).

Great point. Make America Great Again and Drain the Swamp are also meaningless statements, completely devoid of data. Whoever reads them can project whatever they want on to those statements.

Jul 9, 2009
Isn't it amazing that the guy who constantly complains about media bias consistently links to biased media? Hell, the link he quoted even mentions that the study comes from a conservative source.
NPR (National Public Radio) and the Pew Research Center? LMAO Sorry.