Coming in the year 2012: The internet ends

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Bateluer
Originally posted by: Throckmorton
Originally posted by: Quintox
BS. Plus even IF it did happen, a new ISP would just come out that didn't do this and pwn all the others

Would that new ISP going to create a whole new internet? :confused:

I didn't watch the video and I assume it's exaggeration, but have you heard of the net neutrality issue? There isn't a capitalist solution for a problem that involves all of existing infrastructure.

I didn't watch the video either, but consider that all the backbones and lines are owned by only a few large telcos. They could easily bully out the smaller ISPs, especially with the support of misguided government.

I think our local mainlines are all owed by the local universities

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: miketheidiot

I think our local mainlines are all owed by the local universities

Okay, say they do own the local lines. What about the large, wide backbone pipes? Those are controlled by the telcos, and though could block traffic to the local lines unless they comply with the telco's service model.

I'm not saying that they plan on enacting a subscription internet scheme like this, however, do not be so quick to dismiss the power of corporate greed, with government ineptitude, and human stupidity.

ObiDon

Diamond Member
May 8, 2000
Originally posted by: thecrecarc
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
If this happens, I'm going to start the revolution

Sounds good. Do you know where I can buy some bulk bullets? Say 50 bullets.

Alternator shaped box?

Is that bulk bullets?
50 bullets? no. 50 boxes? maybe. 50 pallets? you probably live in texas.

Bateluer

Lifer
Jun 23, 2001
Originally posted by: ObiDon
Originally posted by: thecrecarc
Originally posted by: Sinsear
Originally posted by: oldsmoboat
Originally posted by: tenshodo13
If this happens, I'm going to start the revolution

Sounds good. Do you know where I can buy some bulk bullets? Say 50 bullets.

Alternator shaped box?

Is that bulk bullets?
50 bullets? no. 50 boxes? maybe. 50 pallets? you probably live in texas.

Well, the number of bullets required would depend on your accuracy, wouldn't it? Pres, VP, Speaker of the House, 100 Senators, and 435 Representatives, plus the leadership of the large ISPs responsible.

Oi, I'm going to have to go in for my mandatory government re-education soon, aren't I?

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: Pale Rider
Won't happen for all of the reasons already listed above.

If they collude to control the top and reject all non-member traffic it could.

Some of the big ISP's are already doing that with competitors and companies that wouldn't sell out 'accidentally'

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
Originally posted by: spidey07
BS. Plus even IF it did happen, a new ISP would just come out that didn't do this and pwn all the others

I didn't watch the video and I assume it's exaggeration, but have you heard of the net neutrality issue? There isn't a capitalist solution for a problem that involves all of existing infrastructure.

Umm, yes there is. Nobody owns the internet, nobody owns the infrastructure.

This is what I'm talking about, scare tactics by people that don't know how The Internet works.

What do you mean nobody owns the infrastructure?

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
Well, you DO have those fuggers that thought it's OK for ISP to throttle the bandwidth that you paid for. Let's bring those idiots out and toss them into this burning heap too.

nobody554

Jan 21, 2006
Awesome. Another story about how ISPs are going to try and charge for the internet like providers charge for cable and satellite.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
It's amazing that the internet has existed for this long without any real regulation, but I don't think it'll happen like this. The providers who do this will die so fast that those which don't will become monopolies - and then will be broken up and it will start all over again. I think some government control would have to be put in place before this happens - and that would cause such an uproar that whoever did it would be committing political suicide for my generation.

Killmenow

Oct 23, 2004
Isn't the 3rd guy in the middle of the video... "ATHENE" as in the "best paladin in the world?" :D

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Originally posted by: spidey07

Umm, yes there is. Nobody owns the internet, nobody owns the infrastructure.

This is what I'm talking about, scare tactics by people that don't know how The Internet works.

What do you mean nobody owns the infrastructure?

People are deluded into believing it works just like it did in the MIL/ARPAnet days. Schools and military sites sharing cable.

Today you have large corporations providing centralized locations where traffic gets sent to others. The small ISP that starts up knows they can leverage this infrastructure and send their traffic through it.

If these large corps, decided together that they are supplying too many resources for 'free' they can block anyone that hasn't paid. All it would take is simple changes to the protocol. Add a simple cipher even.

This has all been talked about a long time though and hasn't happened.

The day of $5+ gas has been talked about a long time too and we are getting there quickly.

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Originally posted by: alkemyst
People are deluded into believing it works just like it did in the MIL/ARPAnet days.

Today you have large corporations providing centralized locations where traffic gets sent to others.

If these large corps, decided together that they are supplying too many resources for 'free' they can block anyone that hasn't paid.

All it would take is simple changes to the protocol. Add a simple cipher even.

This has all been talked about a long time though and hasn't happened.

The day of $5+ gas has been talked about a long time too and we are getting there quickly.

We have a winner!!! Somebody has been paying attention in the classroom.