Coming in the year 2012: The internet ends

jimbob200521

Diamond Member
Apr 15, 2005
Link

"06/01/2008 - Every significant Internet provider around the globe is currently in talks with access and content providers to transform the internet into a television-like medium: no more freedom, you pay for a small commercial package of sites you can visit and you'll have to pay for separate subscriptions for every site that's not in the package."

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
there's no way this is going to happen, right? thats one of the most ridiculous things i've ever heard of.

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Hah, good luck. First, if they do it, any American ISP will face antitrust issues. Second, any ISP willing to take on this pricing model will be quickly outdone by the others who don't go along. The market will take care of this one.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
BS. Plus even IF it did happen, a new ISP would just come out that didn't do this and pwn all the others

xly15

May 6, 2008
don't ever see this happening because they would lose too many customers. It's just not good for an industry.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Also, Google would be f*$&*d , what would the point be of searching for sites, only to have 98% of the results not part of the package. Same for Yahoo, MSN, and all search engines.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
This reminds me of that so-called "Fritz chip" that was making similarly ridiculous headlines a few years ago. Supposedly it would become mandatory on all motherboards, and all software would not function unless the owner authenticated your particular copy through this Fritz chip. Open-source software would be effectively eliminated, because the chip would not allow it to run.

Yeah, that idea really took off.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
aha read the digg comments, everyone is freaking out and being all "We can stop this! Let's all come together!"

D

Deleted member 4644

First, this is almost certainly an exaggeration. But if it did happen, and the government didn't do anything about it, I would buy several sniper rifles and use them.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Originally posted by: xly15
don't ever see this happening because they would lose too many customers. It's just not good for an industry.
You underestimate how stupid and short-sighted the average user is.
Also don't forget the powerful effect of marketing on the weak-minded.

"OMG! Look at all the pretty effects and lights! Loud dialog and crappy music! A woman talking about a product while wearing form-fitting clothing! ME WANT THING THEY SELL!!!!!"

frostedflakes

Diamond Member
Mar 1, 2005
Sounds like BS to me, I think they're just making stuff up to rally support for their cause.

Something that I think would be much more likely to happen is ISPs giving priority to packets from large commercial sites, and hopefully if they ever try to pull anything like this, Supreme Court will drop the banhammer on them.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
the real sleaziness is that isps are now trying to offer gator type spyware where they take a cut to all their customers.

ttown

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2003
Originally posted by: Special K
This reminds me of that so-called "Fritz chip" that was making similarly ridiculous headlines a few years ago. Supposedly it would become mandatory on all motherboards, and all software would not function unless the owner authenticated your particular copy through this Fritz chip. Open-source software would be effectively eliminated, because the chip would not allow it to run.

Yeah, that idea really took off.

Not meaning to detract from the original thread... but actually, the "fritz chip" IS taking off... under the official name of "Trusted Platform Module".

Haven't heard the part about open-source software being eliminated, though...

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Oh, I can't believe no one here has mentioned the nice rack on the lady in the video (within first minute)
:D

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
I had trouble paying attention during the first few seconds of the video...

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
When they raise the tolls on the bridges, take the tunnel instead. :p