Comey's upcoming book paints Trump as an idiot.

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
The big questions in Comey’s badly reviewed book aren’t answered

Why would I pay any attention to anything else said in this tweet when this first claim is a lie? Comey's book is being reviewed rather well. It has 4.5/5 stars on Amazon with over 8000 reviews. It has a better than average review by professional reviews with the influential NY Times Review calling the book 'absorbing' and gives it a positive review.

This is the trouble with Trump in a nutshell. When you lie to me about easily verifiable things I will not give any credence to claims you make that requires some amount of judgment.

Reactions: jackstar7
Nov 30, 2006
Comey's upcoming book paints Comey himself as an idiot as well as a petty, highly partisan, drama queen. Trump's an idiot as well, but he may be right about one thing...that Comey may go down in history as one of the worst FBI directors ever.

Reactions: IJTSSG

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Comey's upcoming book paints himself as an idiot as well as a petty, highly partisan, drama queen. Trump's an idiot as well, but he may be right about one thing...that Comey may go down in history as one of the worst FBI directors ever.

Highly partisan? For which party, the Republicans?

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Why would I pay any attention to anything else said in this tweet when this first claim is a lie? Comey's book is being reviewed rather well. It has 4.5/5 stars on Amazon with over 8000 reviews. It has a better than average review by professional reviews with the influential NY Times Review calling the book 'absorbing' and gives it a positive review.

Reviews of that sort of book are about as unbiased as a Trump tweet. Nobody is reading this book with an open mind, they're reading it to confirm what they already believe. If the entire text of the book was: "Trump molests puppies! Trump was behind 9/11!! Trump sold arms to the Indians at Little Big Horn! Trump is why you can't get laid!!" repeated 31,0000 times over 500 pages it would still get 4.5/5 stars on Amazon and glowing reviews from the NYT. The book could be 100% true, it could be 100% false and it could, as most reasonable people would expect, a mix of a lot that's true with some embellishments and a few outright falsehoods from a guy with an axe to grind and it won't change anything. The haters will believe it with glee and the Trump apologists will dismiss it as fake news.

Reactions: Greenman

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Comey's upcoming book paints Comey himself as an idiot as well as a petty, highly partisan, drama queen. Trump's an idiot as well, but he may be right about one thing...that Comey may go down in history as one of the worst FBI directors ever.
Petty compared to who? Trump? Not a chance. Drama queen, yes. Delusions of grandeur, yes. But not highly partisan--the only party he has consistently served has been himself.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
Reviews of that sort of book are about as unbiased as a Trump tweet. Nobody is reading this book with an open mind, they're reading it to confirm what they already believe. If the entire text of the book was: "Trump molests puppies! Trump was behind 9/11!! Trump sold arms to the Indians at Little Big Horn! Trump is why you can't get laid!!" repeated 31,0000 times over 500 pages it would still get 4.5/5 stars on Amazon and glowing reviews from the NYT. The book could be 100% true, it could be 100% false and it could, as most reasonable people would expect, a mix of a lot that's true with some embellishments and a few outright falsehoods from a guy with an axe to grind and it won't change anything. The haters will believe it with glee and the Trump apologists will dismiss it as fake news.

Oh, I am not defending the book. I am an avid reader who averages reading 3 books a week, and I currently have no intention of reading his book. But to say that it is 'badly reviewed' which I believe in Trumpian grammar translates to 'poor reviews' since I don't believe that Trump actually meant that the reviews were done badly (but I'll admit that it is hard to know just what Trump means when he has such a poor grasp on grammar) it plainly false.

Jan 25, 2011
Oh, I am not defending the book. I am an avid reader who averages reading 3 books a week, and I currently have no intention of reading his book. But to say that it is 'badly reviewed' which I believe in Trumpian grammar translates to 'poor reviews' since I don't believe that Trump actually meant that the reviews were done badly (but I'll admit that it is hard to know just what Trump means when he has such a poor grasp on grammar) it plainly false.
The book also hadn't even come out yet. I doubt those reviews, at the time of the post, were valid. I could be wrong but I don't think it was released on Amazon until today either.

Both statements are equally invalid, from a general readership standpoint, when they were written.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
Ever delusional, huh? Was that Hannity's review of a book you never read?

Nov 30, 2006
I can't believe so many here are defending this clown...especially since he's at the very top of the list of likely reasons Clinton lost the election and Trump is now running this country. Go figure.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999

"Badly reviewed" means the reviews didn't say what Trump wanted them to say.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
I can't believe so many here are defending this clown...especially since he's at the very top of the list of likely reasons Clinton lost the election and Trump is now running this country. Go figure.

Give credit where it's due- Trump captured the imaginations of the rubes & drowned Clinton at the bottom of an ocean of slime.

And, uhh, Trump's been your hero all along, hasn't he?

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Oh, no one is excusing some of the things he did. That doesn't negate his entire career or that he had a very good reputation prior to his fu*king up. No, not at all. But he absolutely is one of the many, many, many people who can take Trump down. Sometimes ya gotta deal with the devil you know to get shit did (ABOVE Board) and I think Mueller will use him accordingly. Comey's book hardly matters. What Mueller gets from him, matters a lot.

What's a matter? Comey gotchu down little fella? You know what will help with that? Don't read his book. I know I won't but I will trust Mueller to determine how much of what Comey has to contribute is useful.

SMOGZINN

Lifer
Jun 17, 2005
"Badly reviewed" means the reviews didn't say what Trump wanted them to say.

Yes, that is pretty much what everything Trump says means. To understand Trump you must first parse his words though his ego.

The book also hadn't even come out yet. I doubt those reviews, at the time of the post, were valid. I could be wrong but I don't think it was released on Amazon until today either.

Both statements are equally invalid, from a general readership standpoint, when they were written.

They did send out advance copies to media outlets and well known reviewers, so at least the professional and well known amateur reviewers are probably legitimate. As for the Amazon reviews, I agree that few, if any, of them has actually read the entire book and are able to give a informed review yet. Still, you can't say the reviews are 'badly', at best you can say they are suspect.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
Nope. But if he's ultimately successful in denuclearizing NK, he will be.
You'll actually trust a deal made between two insane people? Interesting... Who ever asked about your delusional state... You should reply to them in the affirmative that you are indeed delusional. Do It! It's the polite thing to do.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
Here's a fairly decent article from Vox.

Why James Comey isn’t the hero you think he is
The media is treating Comey like a hero. He’s not one.
https://www.vox.com/2018/4/13/17194396/james-comey-book-interview-higher-loyalty-hero

The guy who has previously categorically dismissed articles from Vox is now citing it as a source. Why? Because it tells him what he wants to hear.

Seriously though DSF, you claimed Comey was a huge partisan. What party were you referring to? I'm genuinely very interested.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006

It's amazing that you don't seem to understand the difference between Comey making a mistake in how he handled an investigation and Comey being a liar as those two things have nothing to do with one another. I think most people agree that Comey's handling of the Clinton email situation was a mistake but very few people outside of Trump supporters have ever claimed he lacked integrity or honesty.

So you basically have a guy with a lifelong reputation for honesty against a cast of characters that is literally world-renowned for pathological lying. There's no point in even bothering to compare the two. As I've said before a good rule of thumb is that when confronted with a choice to believe Donald Trump or literally anyone else on the entire planet, sight unseen, the best bet is to choose 'literally anyone else'.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
First, I wish Comey had waited a few more months to put this book out. I think Comey has had an successful unblemished career at the FBI. I think he has integrity. I will say that he displayed poor judgment with regards to exposing the status of Hillary Clintons case, which just should never have been discussed. This especially in the light of the Russian revelations that were coming out. Supposedly, there were no ties to Trump or his campaign at the time this was coming out, but not a word. And then doubling down, at the last minute that there may be more emails to investigate on Hillary. Although I agree with his description of Trump, I think the book is somewhat self serving, and may even complicate Mueller's investigation. I see nothing partisan about it. He is a Republican you know. Just not the flavor Trump likes.
EDIT: disclaimer, I have not read the book and going on preliminary reviews.

Last edited:

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
Give credit where it's due- Trump captured the imaginations of the rubes & drowned Clinton at the bottom of an ocean of slime.

Not hard. Clinton had been wallowing at the bottom of an ocean of her own slime for more than 20 years before Trump decided to run.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
So you basically have a guy with a lifelong reputation for honesty against a cast of characters that is literally world-renowned for pathological lying. There's no point in even bothering to compare the two.

They managed with Hillary. They'll go with what works for them.