Discussion Comet Lake Intel's new Core i9-10900K runs at over 90C, even with liquid cooling TweakTown

Page 24 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Why is Intel still contributing to a ton of e-waste including a pathetically useless heatsink? I can't see any situation where this thing remotely has a function, outside of possibly just maybe damaging the processor over time?
Uhmm, I'm sure the stock cooler was borrowed from i3 or something. The 10900k doesn't ship with a cooler; all K series, in fact.

• Wow
Reactions: mopardude87

mopardude87

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2018
Uhmm, I'm sure the stock cooler was borrowed from i3 or something. The 10900k doesn't ship with a cooler; all K series, in fact.

Wow ok, yeah i was skimming and checking the charts and stuff. Not in the mood often to hear him ramble on, not a big fan of him usually but i made a exception cause the charts were useful. Now i see why AGAIN why i don't like him. I saw the numbers but why in the heck even do such a test. Yeah i get it, its scientific and just maybe it will have idk some usefulness but geez.

Honestly, someone else can make the same mistake and assume since there is stock cooler in the test that is what comes with the the chip. I know i did, i haven't exactly looked at a product page for this cpu. Its just now crossing my mind as a serious gaming option, it depends on the road map for next gen of course. I am more of a get right to the charts and gaming videos kind of benchmark guy. I don't wanna hear someone ramble on for 5+ minutes.

I will fix the other post, thanks for pointing that out.

Last edited:
Reactions: Zucker2k

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
How warm does the equivalent amd processor run when air cooled with stock cooler ?

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
So only high end air will keep the AMD equiv under 90c ? I.e, this chip is running no warmer than AMD equiv ?

There is no stock cooler. And only high end air will keep it even close to under 90c.

Markfw

Moderator Emeritus, Elite Member
May 16, 2002
So only high end air will keep the AMD equiv under 90c ? I.e, this chip is running no warmer than AMD equiv ?
I never said anything about AMD. The fact is that the high end AMD chip (3950x) requires LESS cooling than this 10900k chip. And the HSF that comes with the AMD 3900x does fine, and thats actually the competitor of the 10900k.

Edit: Sorry, I reread your first post. I edited the reply.

Last edited:

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
The fact is that the high end AMD chip (3950x) requires LESS cooling than this 10900k chip.
You live in a different world than most enthusiasts then. Even AMD are less optimistic about the stock cooling solutions of their 105w processors. In fact they go out of their way to recommend a 280mm AIO, or greater. Meaning, a 280mm AIO is the minimum recommendation!

The Ryzen™ 9 3950X, Ryzen™ 9 3900XT, and Ryzen™ 7 3800XT processors do not come bundled with a cooler. AMD recommends an all-in-one liquid cooler* with a 280mm radiator (or greater).

A 280mm AIO is more than adequate for a stock 10900k. An overclocked 10900k should even behave better with a 280mm AIO than these Ryzen chips, even though it'll be consuming significantly more watts. Just stop spreading FUD.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
You live in a different world than most enthusiasts then. Even AMD are less optimistic about the stock cooling solutions of their 105w processors. In fact they go out of their way to recommend a 280mm AIO, or greater. Meaning, a 280mm AIO is the minimum recommendation!

A 280mm AIO is more than adequate for a stock 10900k. An overclocked 10900k should even behave better with a 280mm AIO than these Ryzen chips, even though it'll be consuming significantly more watts. Just stop spreading FUD.

He was asking about the cometition. The 3900x is that, and comes with a stock air cooler.

Edit, also from that link saying "
"Pair the Ryzen™ 9 3950X, Ryzen™ 9 3900XT, Ryzen™ 7 3800XT, and Ryzen™ 5 3600XT
processors with a liquid cooling system for unparalleled performance.
"

Does not mean its even repommended or required. YOU need to stop spreading FUD.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
I never said anything about AMD. The fact is that the high end AMD chip (3950x) requires LESS cooling than this 10900k chip. And the HSF that comes with the AMD 3900x does fine, and thats actually the competitor of the 10900k.

Edit: Sorry, I reread your first post. I edited the reply.

All of this is correct.

The stock Wraith Prism can actually get very close to 90C with the 3900X, but let's be fair, it's FREE vs absolutely nothing with the Intel series. And I'm fairly sure a HSF like the Prism would get completely overwhelmed by a 10900K. That would make for a really interesting video come to think of it, creating a mount and testing that just to show how it would perform.

The thing is that the 3900X doesn't normally sit in the high 80s in general use, only with all core loads like blender, and it's operating normally and not too wild. Increasing cooling for it only nets about a 1% performance uplift (when I had mine I used a Noctua 140mm DH and it stayed under 60C in daily use @ 4.2Ghz!). Thus, the included HSF is a great value add for the 3900X, which outperforms the 10900K in almost all non gaming tasks stock/PBO v OC, at a fraction of the heat output and power consumption, and with the 10900K needing at least a $80-$100+ HSF to function respectably.

Relevant : https://www.techspot.com/review/1875-ryzen-3900x-wraith-prism-rgb-vs-liquid-cooler/

I could have used the stock HSF for the 3900X and not really lost anything, but I was caught up in the Zen2 launch hype and wanted to see how it fared with high end air. And, it did great, very quiet etc. I ended up downgrading it because the 3700X I initially had was basically identical in gaming and I personally don't have a use for 24 threads.

Where I think the Ryzens get it slightly cheap are the recent stock HSFs for the 3600, 3300X, etc. The Wraith "Stealth" is only marginally less trash than the Intel stock coolers, but I don't find them very good at all. The Wraith Spire for the 3600X is a lot better, and I'd call it marginal and not something you have to run out and worry about replacing unless you just really hate noise AND you run frequent all core loads. In general use they're fairly quiet, but load up anything demanding and they have to ramp up to keep up. The Prism for the 3700X and up, well, it's fine of course, and that's a lot better deal than nothing at all like Intel K.

Of course, Intel copied K series idea with the XT not including HSFs lol. Complete WITH a price hike. Goes to show that at the end of the day every company is in this to make money. 😅

Reactions: Tlh97 and you2

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
He was asking about the cometition. The 3900x is that, and comes with a stock air cooler.

Does not mean its even repommended or required. YOU need to stop spreading FUD.
Unbelievable. It says there: "AMD recommends....."

And, I quoted your post so I don't even know where you're going with this explanation.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006

And, I quoted your post so I don't even know where you're going with this explanation.

Hey calm down a little 😅

It says 3900XT, not the regular 3900X.

For one thing, the XTs include no HSFs at all, and for second, the XTs are enthusiast bins with tweaked, cranked to the limit overclocking parts.

Reactions: Tlh97

Markfw

May 16, 2002

Did you see that I said I misread his post ? and edited my reply ?

Stop accusing me of spreading FUD. Its a fact that the 10900k needs more cooling than a 3900x or a 3950x. PERIOD. Nobody except you is disputing this.
Again, YOU need to stop spreading FUD

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
The fact is that the high end AMD chip (3950x) requires LESS cooling than this 10900k chip.
I'm quoting you again. This is what I replied to. Obviously, it's not edited.
Its does about 75c or so.
75c? On the stock cooler? This is a joke. You don't measure temps while browsing. You measure worst case, by loading all cores. Too much goal post shifting going on.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'm quoting you again. This is what I replied to. Obviously, it's not edited.

75c? On the stock cooler? This is a joke. You don't measure temps while browsing. You measure worst case, by loading all cores. Too much goal post shifting going on.
That's folding at 100% load. Are you calling me out ?

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
I'm curious about the word "requires". Will the Intel CPU run on the same cooling that an
AMD chip will? The answer is yes. So, no, the Intel does not require more cooling. It may run hotter, but that doesn't mean it requires something larger than the 280 AIO that even AMD recommends. It will also run on air coolers as well. Functionally, the Intel doesn't require anything more than the AMD does to function at stock.

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
That's folding at 100% load. Are you calling me out ?
I don't know anything about your setup to call you out but every decent review out there got something way higher, and that's with a wraith prism that is nothing near what a 'traditional' cooler looks like. I mean, does a Noctua NH-D15 become a stock cooler when Intel bundles it with Rocket Lake?

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I'm curious about the word "requires". Will the Intel CPU run on the same cooling that an
AMD chip will? The answer is yes. So, no, the Intel does not require more cooling. It may run hotter, but that doesn't mean it requires something larger than the 280 AIO that even AMD recommends. It will also run on air coolers as well. Functionally, the Intel doesn't require anything more than the AMD does to function at stock.
The 280 AIO that AMD recommends is for the 3950x, not the 3900x, so Yes, its does require more cooling, and will run hotter even by your own admission.

And this latest echange wa a question by a poster about what temp and equivalent AMD CPU would run with the stock cooler. That means a 3900x, and I answered the 75c.

Markfw

May 16, 2002
I don't know anything about your setup to call you out but every decent review out there got something way higher, and that's with a wraith prism that is nothing near what a 'traditional' cooler looks like. I mean, does a Noctua NH-D15 become a stock cooler when Intel bundles it with Rocket Lake?
Why don't you link a couple of those....

LikeLinus

Lifer
Jul 25, 2001
The 280 AIO that AMD recommends is for the 3950x, not the 3900x, so Yes, its does require more cooling, and will run hotter even by your own admission.

And this latest echange wa a question by a poster about what temp and equivalent AMD CPU would run with the stock cooler. That means a 3900x, and I answered the 75c.

Intel doesn't require a 280 AIO. It is recommended if you're trying to push it hard. It will run on an air cooler. That is not a "requirement". Your use of the word is incorrect. Recommended is probably the word you are looking for.

Required means the Intel CPU will not function with an air cooler. This is simply not true.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
The issue isn't if it just runs hotter but how much it will throttle limiting performance.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
Did you read the 60+ comments in that thread - most people did air cool and had temps in the mid/upper 70's. They were using non-stock cooler but nothing overtly fancy.

There are literally scores of threads on reddit with 3900x owners looking for better cooling solutions because the humongous Wraith Prism (compared to the Intel stock cooler) doesn't cut it. Here's one laden with truths....

Zucker2k

Golden Member
Feb 15, 2006
Did you read the 60+ comments in that thread - most people did air cool and had temps in the mid/upper 70's. They were using non-stock cooler but nothing overtly fancy.
They opted to use something better than the overtly biggest boy of all stock coolers is the point.

1595057768406.png

Last edited:

Markfw

May 16, 2002
Here's one.

Edit: I believe I've posted some already in this very thread.
One test for one hour at 86c, NOT 90c. Thats not worht didly. Look at this thread ? Its overwhelming that the 90c is true for the 10900k