Comcast to raise download to 3Mbps

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SoulAssassin

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2001
As some have briefly alluded to, you typically have to power off/on your modem to pick up the new config file. Some report it just happening but most require a reboot. If your well past your scheduled date check the BBR thread I linked to in the second post and see if there's anyone else in your area w a status update. I'm in DE and got it two or three days after it was scheduled for Philly/S Jersey.

hunt3r

Aug 22, 2001
croak Yeah that is exactly what I was thinking.... 768 up that is. O well it is coming, just not fast enough. They are going to have to get it to that to roll out other services they want to be in bad... ie Voice over IP, and video conference stuff.

MJGunn

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2001
I'm in central Jersey (Princeton area) and had my modem unplugged a couple of times today (un-related problems), and I'm still at the same old cap (list said I should have been bumped up a week ago)

Parn

Mar 20, 2001
Only if DSL would pick up a similar change... I'm on a contract with SBC for DSL so I can't switch :p

simsk

Banned
Sep 17, 2003
Very nice post - thanks for finding that.

- never underestimate the IQ of the AnandTech voyeur!

EuGeNiLe

Mar 18, 2002
how much are you guys paying monthly for your comcast cable broadband?

esp for u bay area/cali guys.. any special plans/deals u guys are on?

i signed up with SBC yahoo DSL promotion they had a while back.. and its almost up..

SenorBiggles

Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: jhansen
Originally posted by: RaGe420
does comcast have a limit to hoe much you can up/download a month?

Nope!

I wish that were true. The fact is that Comcast has a secret download limit that they don't tell anyone. They will just suspend service right out of the blue if you download too much.

CNet article

Ziptar

Platinum Member
Jul 7, 2001
hmmm.. Must be behind schedule... I am located right between

Naples, FL 10/17/03 10/20/03
W. Florida (Srsta), FL 10/17/03 10/20/03

Just checked DSL reports says 1457/230.... 3Mbps will be sweet though...

jhansen

Mar 9, 2001
Central NJ:
:(

Speed
1.6 megabits per second

Communications 1.6 megabits per second
Storage 201.3 kilobytes per second
1MB file download 5.1 seconds
Subjective rating Great

Explain results
Info
Date & time Tuesday, December 9, 7:20AM*
Test type IDT4 Free
Connection type Cable
Region New Jersey
Data size 605KB
Provider Comcast Cable Communications, Inc.

* CST (-0600)

DefRef

Diamond Member
Nov 9, 2000
Saw the stories here last night and tested via various DSL Reports sites and I'm over 3000 on the down and ~245 on the up. Good stuff in suburban Detroit.

jbloggs

Jul 3, 2001
How you guys measuring the download speed or do you just take their word for it.

RDMustang1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2001
Originally posted by: SenorBiggles

Nope!

I wish that were true. The fact is that Comcast has a secret download limit that they don't tell anyone. They will just suspend service right out of the blue if you download too much.

CNet article

My downlink is filled to capacity 24/7 and has been for the last 4 years and I've never received any complaints (although wasn't with comcast until about a year ago). I also love the unlimited usenet too (previous attbi customer - gradnfather clause)

EDIT: I am near the Dallas area and no speed increase yet.. Heard about this over 6 months ago and can't wait (if it ever comes here)...

wfay

Jul 24, 2001
Originally posted by: RDMustang1

My downlink is filled to capacity 24/7 and has been for the last 4 years and I've never received any complaints (although wasn't with comcast until about a year ago). I also love the unlimited usenet too (previous attbi customer - gradnfather clause)

If you don't mind me asking, WTF are doing with that much downloading? :) I download a lot but its far from "filled to capacity 24/7" more like "filled to cap 60-120mins per day".

manko

Golden Member
May 27, 2001
Originally posted by: SenorBiggles

Nope!

CNet article

There have been a few discussions on this topic at the BBR Forums. People have speculated that soft download limit is somewhere between 100-200 GB/mo over an extended period, like 2 or 3 months. I'm not sure, but enforcement of this limit may depend on what region you're in.

I just talked to a technician the other day and he said their network is only at 18% bandwidth capacity, but the network isn't designed to have every customer maxing out their bandwidth 24/7. If someone's excessive downloading causes trouble on a node, they'll pull the plug.

It's probably better that they don't publicize the limit, because if they did, they would probably have to set a lower limit than the current "secret" limits, because it might encourage light users to download more ("Hey, I'm barely using a fraction of the cap, so I should download more...").

Recent news articles have said that Comcasts strategy against DSL is to offer higher speeds at a higher price and not engage DSL ISPs in a price war and not offer lower-tier plans. This 3Mbps upgrade is part of that plan. You probably don't have much to worry about unless you're maxing out your upload and downloads 24/7 for months on end.

psteng19

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2000
Don't bother calling up Comcast.
I did a live support session and the only response was "you'll receive an email when it happens in your area."

Central NJ here as well. Don't know whether I fall into north or south NJ but either way, my area is behind schedule.

I too would like a bump in the upload, which is crippling my ability to support more concurrent clients in certain software.

ETan

Golden Member
Jan 23, 2001
I'm still on a $19.99 plan with Comcast... great download speed, must say (Pittsburgh).

What can I do to get a lower price than pay their regular $50 or so per month starting next month when my promotional period ends?

terthen

Apr 19, 2002
not sure if this promotion is still going, but mine was 3 months free, 6 months at $20/month, 2 months at $30/month, and then finally regular price after that

i'm in DC area, got only 2 mbps on a test last night :/

neurotrophik

May 1, 2002
Yep, I was upgraded in October here in Mobile, AL. Very nice speeds, consistent 400k downloads. Thank you very much Comcast. They've also forgotten to take off my 35$ campaign discount that was only supposed to last for the first three months, and in the letter stating they were upgrading to 3.0 they said my discount was over, but alas after two months its still there...15 bucks for 3.0 Mbps aint too shabby ;)