Colleyville, TX

Nov 17, 2019
Report: Hostages apparently taken at Texas synagogue

abcnews.go.com.ico
ABC|5 minutes ago
Authorities say a man apparently took hostages Saturday during services at a synagogue near Fort Worth, Texas. The Colleyville Police Department tweeted Saturday afternoon that it was conducting SWAT operations at the address of Congregation Beth Israel.

Early information.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I wonder how God is Great turned into I get to kill people especially a God noted to be compassionate and merciful.

SmCaudata

Oct 8, 2006
I wonder how God is Great turned into I get to kill people especially a God noted to be compassionate and merciful.
"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity?"
-Arthur C. Clarke

Nov 17, 2019
"A U.S. official briefed on the matter told ABC News the hostage-taker is claiming to be the brother of Pakistani neuroscientist Aafia Siddiqui, who is serving an 86-year U.S. prison sentence after her 2010 conviction of shooting at soldiers and FBI agents, and demanding she be freed.

But authorities have not yet confirmed his identity, the official told ABC News.

Siddiqui is being held at a federal prison in the Fort Worth area"

Well, OK then ....

Ajay

Lifer
Jan 8, 2001
"Religion is a byproduct of fear. For much of human history, it may have been a necessary evil, but why was it more evil than necessary? Isn't killing people in the name of God a pretty good definition of insanity?"
-Arthur C. Clarke
Ugh, because human beings, throughout history, have been more evil than necessary. Duh. Why is this so hard.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
-Arthur C. Clarke
Ugh, because human beings, throughout history, have been more evil than necessary. Duh. Why is this so hard.
Neither of your explanations satisfy me. What you describe are symptoms, in my opinion. People are fearful and people do terrible things, the the question is why and is there anything in a deeper answer that can change anything.

I offer the opinion that people were put down as children, told not that what they were doing was less than what they could be doing but that their actions were evil and that evil was in them. When this is the message that children are given including the withdrawal of threat of withdrawal of love and painful verbal putdowns and physical punishment, the result, depending on the level of abuse and or the lack of any source of self affirmation, is either becoming as predicted, embracing evil as ones inner truth, or denying that feeling internally via a substitute source of respect, an ego identification with a religion, a team, a nationality etc. and where those identities are themselves designed by people full of such denial themselves, we find believers on all manner and kind that are mentally ill.

So what makes people afraid and do bad things is not knowing what the really feel deep and deeply repressed and not knowing also that those feeling were put there long ago and are actually lies.

It is because this truth, this feeling that one is worthless, is transcended here and there in time and space by some people, some of whom created religions to help others escape. It is love that is at the heart of all the major religions and the mechanical nature of fear and denial that turns them evil. The message in the world of sleeping people is always, "You behave yourself and stay in your cage because you know what happens to bad children. You are too worthless for there to be any hope or reason to act decently. Do good and trust and you'll get fucked."

cytg111

Lifer
Mar 17, 2008
OR people are predatory mammals.
Maybe love is a chemical instruction set that promotes survival of the offspring.
Maybe its not super complicated rocket science.
It is science though. Treat it as such.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Just saw it in the news. Real life hostage nightmare.
I find these fascinating because the movies usually get it all wrong. Especially details.
In fact I think it happens more often in the movies than in real life. But the real life ones actually teach me a little about people and society.

Heres hoping they all get out alive.

Jul 9, 2009
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you that this is yet another terrorist kidnapping by yet another terrorist Muslim. Who could have possibly foreseen this ? Hopefully the hostages get out of it alive.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
I'm shocked! Shocked, I tell you that this is yet another terrorist kidnapping by yet another terrorist Muslim. Who could have possibly foreseen this ? Hopefully the hostages get out of it alive.
Well, we all know you will use this as justification for murdering brown people in the streets. But please dont do it.

By the way, the vast majority of terrorist activity in America is instigated by straight white male christians.
So suck on that for a day or two.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000

Let's wait on an ID of the perp at least. Siddiqui's lawyer is claiming the assailant is NOT her brother and NOT related to the family (and conveyed that the family condemns this act taken in Siddiqui's name and wishes for safe release of hostages.)

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
I'm surprised something like this would and could happen in Texas. I mean, hasn't it been stated several times that Texans need so many guns to protect themselves from things like this? Next thing you know we'll be hearing that people sometimes get raped in Texas, too!

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
"A U.S. official briefed on the matter told ABC News the hostage-taker is claiming to be the brother of Pakistani neuroscientist Aafia Siddiqui, who is serving an 86-year U.S. prison sentence after her 2010 conviction of shooting at soldiers and FBI agents, and demanding she be freed.

But authorities have not yet confirmed his identity, the official told ABC News.

Siddiqui is being held at a federal prison in the Fort Worth area"

Well, OK then ....

Why did you cut off the next sentence that followed the one you sorta quoted from the linked article....the one that began with "Siddiqui is being held at a federal prison...."

The next sentence read...."A lawyer representing Siddiqui, Marwa Elbially, told CNN in a statement the man was not Siddiqui's brother."

Why did you not bother including that in your "quote" above?

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

Conservative terrorists are why we can't have nice things

himkhan

Jul 13, 2013
When I heard Greg Abbott on Fox making a statement I knew the hostage taker was not a white man. Neither would have been a thing were this not a brown person. How do I know? The past couple of incidents in Texas, for example, Coleman Thomas Blevins the white supremacist who was getting ready to shoot up a Walmart this past summer never played once of Fox. Nor did Abbott get on TV and talk about how this mass casualty event had been thwarted by our FBI etc. Only when a brown person is the perp. Sickening.

Authorities searched his home and, according to the release, "firearms, ammunition, electronic evidence, concentrated THC, and radical ideology paraphernalia, including books, flags, and handwritten documents were seized."

Blevins is on felony probation and wasn't supposed to have guns, the release said.
He was booked into the Kerr County Jail in Kerrville, a city about 70 miles northwest of San Antonio.

Wasn't supposed to have guns? Well why didn't Texas Hiker/Imported BJ do something about it? Don't mess with Texas!

Reactions: Pohemi and ch33zw1z

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
There are a billion or so Muslims in the world Surely there are that many or more Christians. Out of all those billions there are terrorists on both sides. Why would you make an issue out of what religion any of those terrorists are. Clearly they do not really understand the true nature of their religion, do they? Or perhaps, having no idea yourself as to what the real meaning at the heart of religions, you have simply been taught this one is correct and that one wrong. If you only knew that you don't really know anything, fanatical opinions would not so easily take root in your mind as it also wouldn't with any terrorist that had that same realization. At the heart of all religions is the notion of acceptance with humility, that only God has the divine wisdom to judge. He didn't give you or me that job. To have faith is to admit to doubt, not kill everything in the universe that causes you to question. How can we love if we are afraid we'll be killed by a stereotype we have been told by other fearmongers we need to remove from the living. Maybe what you should do is mistrust those kinds of teachers. I find they generally want you to do the killing while they observe from afar through heavy lenses.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Our clueless FBI finally got off of their "We don't think this had anything to do with antisemitism" horseshit. I'd like to get the name of the person at the FBI who actually said, and thought that. Probably was on the lookout for Jan. 6.

Amol S.

Platinum Member
Mar 14, 2015
When I heard Greg Abbott on Fox making a statement I knew the hostage taker was not a white man. Neither would have been a thing were this not a brown person. How do I know? The past couple of incidents in Texas, for example, Coleman Thomas Blevins the white supremacist who was getting ready to shoot up a Walmart this past summer never played once of Fox. Nor did Abbott get on TV and talk about how this mass casualty event had been thwarted by our FBI etc. Only when a brown person is the perp. Sickening.

Authorities searched his home and, according to the release, "firearms, ammunition, electronic evidence, concentrated THC, and radical ideology paraphernalia, including books, flags, and handwritten documents were seized."

Blevins is on felony probation and wasn't supposed to have guns, the release said.
He was booked into the Kerr County Jail in Kerrville, a city about 70 miles northwest of San Antonio.

Wasn't supposed to have guns? Well why didn't Texas Hiker/Imported BJ do something about it? Don't mess with Texas!
Only when a white man blows up an RV in a red state in front of a large publicly traded corporation around Christmas does fox news make any reference on it. Otherwise it is just crickets.

Reactions: himkhan