coffee vs. caffeine supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
Has anyone else here noticed a significant difference between the stimulant effects of coffee and caffeine pills? If I drink an average-sized mug of coffee (~70mg of caffeine according to google), I definitely feel the effects of the caffeine within about 20 minutes or so.

On the other hand, I have a bottle of 200mg caffeine pills that I bought from one of the giant online supplement stores. Every time I take one of these pills, I never feel anything. Is this normal? The only possible explanations I can think of are:

1. The pills are fake and contain either no caffeine or a far smaller amount than the label indicates.

2. Caffeine from supplements is somehow less potent than caffeine from coffee.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Last edited:

M0oG0oGaiPan

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2000
digitalgamedeals.com
I usually feel the pills faster but I usually sip coffee for the taste and it lasts me longer (since I'm sipping).

That said I've been getting like no sleep lately so I've been taking a 200mg pill and then drinking a cup of coffee like 20 mins later. That's not too bad though since it's still less than a 3 scoop serving of jack3d.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
Try a different brand of caffeine pills or up the dosage, you should definitely feel something from taking them.

Personally, I always recommend taking the real thing over taking pills any day. There's some health benefits with drinking coffee as well.

Apr 17, 2003
Try a different brand of caffeine pills or up the dosage, you should definitely feel something from taking them.

Personally, I always recommend taking the real thing over taking pills any day. There's some health benefits with drinking coffee as well.

Normally, I try to drink coffee for the caffeine for my EC stack but I usually have to take a pill for the last/afternoon dose since I'm usually on the move. So I'm with you: drink the coffee when possible, save the pill for when necessary.

DAGTA

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Pills are likely garbage. I don't like the taste of coffee and soda is unhealthy so I drink Zipfizz for caffeine and some vitamins. It has 100mg per tube and I feel the caffeine.

bhanson

Golden Member
Jan 16, 2004
(Not medical advice)

Try taking half a pill (100mg) sublingually. Let it dissolve under your tongue and it should accelerate the absorption process.

I can feel the effects of sublingual administration nearly immediately. Usually I'll let some of it dissolve and then swallow the rest for my GI system to take care of.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Holy moly here.

In reality to get your 200mg caffeine dose 3x a day you will be drinking a ton of most coffees. If you regularly take the time to make a double expresso YMMV. I don't drink coffee though.

Also not all supplements are equal, OP you should just tell us WTF you bought. Back in high school I used to drink over 6 liters of Coke a day. I took a No Doze once and got loopy.

Status
Not open for further replies.