COD 4 - Your thoughts?

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
The first time I played it, it was so-so. Now I think it's really good. I'm really psyched for this game, I know what to expect, and I'm thinking it sounds pretty cool. I just wish there was more of the demo to play. Play it on Veteran, if games like BF2 come naturally. I found the AI to be...well not really there, but the scripting (yes it is a CoD game) made me feel like it wasn't so scripted, and the action didn't feel so linear. So in that sense, I didn't feel like I was being herded through a maze, which is good I guess.
I really want this game, so I guess that means its good. I thought this game was going to be dumbed down trash, but if this is any indicator, I'm sold.

Dunno I played on the 3rd hardest - out of 4 - and I think AI was pretty good though nothing exceptional (you can easily fool them if you are ready scacrifice few lives and pay close attention.).

rodrigu3

May 14, 2007
this is not targeted to anyone in specific, but why do people complain about gameplay in an fps... ffs it's POINT AND SHOOT, how innovative can you get with that?

btw, no offense but stop shitting on the thread with the personal attacks - I'm surprised a moderator hasn't taken care of this yet

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: T2k
Dunno I played on the 3rd hardest - out of 4 - and I think AI was pretty good though nothing exceptional (you can easily fool them if you are ready scacrifice few lives and pay close attention.).

I feel the AI can be challenging, but it seems to me, alot of it is scripted--this isn't all that noticable, because like never before, the player is swept up in a huge wave of rushing and fighting--the firefights here have been magnificently demonstrated, although hardly realistic, (troops are not usually able to see their enemy) it is good, amazing fun, and I'm always on the edge of my seat.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
I just had to edit about 20 posts in this thread. It's not something I enjoy doing (babysitting that is).
Curb your posts and keep OT. ZERO PERSONAL ATTACKS. Next attack, even a small "walk the line" type of attack, from anyone, gets a vacation.

ANANDTECH MODERATOR - KEYSPLAYR2003

KeithTalent

Elite Member | Administrator | No Lifer
Administrator
Nov 30, 2005
I enjoyed the demo. COD4 feels a lot like COD2, which for me is a very good thing. The gameplay is pretty much identical, though this particular level was a little darker than anything I remember in COD2.

Overall I think the graphics look great. I don't think much has changed with the character models or anything like that, but the smoke and lighting appears to be vastly improved over COD2, from what I can recall anyway. I do think they could have improved things graphically a little more, but we shall see what the full game holds.

I am running with everything maxed at 1920x1200 and it runs very smoothly.

I have a feeling I will be picking this up. :)

KT

rodrigu3

May 14, 2007
thanks keysplayr2003, that was very much needed

COD4 looks good to me. I haven't been able to try the demo, but the visuals look stunning and I like the general mix of combat situations that you get put in. I'll definitely get it... eventually (limited funds). I haven't been able to play CoD2 or 3, but I remember the first was a great game; hopefully this fourth installment can follow suit.

igromov

Oct 8, 2007
Demo was pretty fun, definately has some good things to it. I really did not like the sounds, sounded just like COD2 did, gameplay was pretty fun, nothing to drool over. Graphics, were alright, with flares going, actually looked pretty good. Gun sounds were just ok in my opinion.
Overall, I would give this beta a 3/5. It felt good, but felt just like another addition to COD2, which is not a great thing, this is coming from a COD1 CODuo fan.

astrosfan315

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2002
demo is awesome. I just upgraded my socket 939 a64 4000+ to AM2 4800+ and 2gb ddr800. I got about 20fps increase in performance..at least I think LOL. The only thing that bugs me a bit is the HDR/Bloom, whatever it is on your fellow squadmate's uniforms. The uniforms give off this weird glow. Plus I have no idea what some of the settings are, but it was fun as heck. I tried it in widescreen 1440x900 and fullscreen 1024x768 and saw about a 10fps improvement going to fullscreen, and the game looked the same to me. My gpu is 7900GT KO SC.

I have been anticipating this for a while and can not wait for MP. MP looks freaking wicked and friends who played the 360 MP Beta said it was freaking awesome.

clamum

Lifer
Feb 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Azn
Originally posted by: T2k
The game has nothing out of the ordinary. Control scheme is same old. Graphics are sub-par compared to modern games based on Unreal Engine.

It was short and certainly dark in most part but I can tell graphics are certainly not sub-pair. Did you see Quake Wars? It's easily nicer - and in fact it's easily a match for most of the UE3 MP games I've seen so far too (no bloom, thx God, that's annoying as hell in UT3.)
As much as I hated IW for making a brand out of CoD on PC and then abandoning it for fuckin stupid consoles now I have to say I'm glad there's another at least capable engine out there, even if I would have preferred some good-ol' Nazi action again... :)

I disagree. I prefer COD2 over this.

Edited

I prefer COD2 graphics over this sorry to say.
Man... can't get much more insightful commentary than that. :laugh:

Might have to check this out after work today.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Way too console for me.

Surprisingly, I'm pretty console phobic, and I didn't much of that. The game felt well optimized for the PC.

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
Originally posted by: tvdang7
Originally posted by: ConstipatedVigilante
Meh, WW2 has been done enough. Time for Cold War stuff.

this game is modern warfare.

I meant the whole Soviet thing, actually. But yes, modern warfare. I LOVE the infrared sights on nightvision. Seeing them all waving around lets you know just how many high-tech buddies you have. :)

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: TheSlamma
Way too console for me.

Surprisingly, I'm pretty console phobic, and I didn't much of that. The game felt well optimized for the PC.

Same here. I generally hate console-rooted crap and felt a real hate when IW abandoned the very folks who made CoD a big hit, us, PC folks, only to go after the fat M$/360 money - but after all they DID come back and CoD4 looks very promising. :)

Coldkilla

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2004
CoD4 was okay, I'll play SP..once, as I hate 100% scripted gameplay, but the first time through I wont know what happens so it will seem exciting, once.. Maybe MP depending on whether or not a headshot = kill. If its one of those stupid chaos shooters that require you to hit the enemy in the head 5+ times to kill him, this game is totally not for me..

I wont be touching a Console until GTA4. go pc!