COD 4 - Your thoughts?

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
I can only describe the single player demo with one word....FANTASTIC. The effects, detail, dialogue, and expansion bring the first person shooter genre to a whole new level. If only a multiplayer beta was released...

Anyways, I finished the demo in a little under 20 minutes on easy (yeah, I suck) but every second was pure 100% entertainment. The updated method of saving is quite relieving, opposed to the spend-2 hours-replaying-an-entire-mission-over-because-of-one-f88king-death crap in previous COD titles.

So what are your thoughts?

A+

Regs

Lifer
Aug 9, 2002
I'm so glad they made a modern warfare game. I killed enough Nazi's that I think the Devil is trying to hire me for a job.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
The level was so short. I can't give a real evaluation but from what I did play from the single player demo...

I give it a 3 out 5 stars

The game has nothing out of the ordinary. Control scheme is same old. Graphics are sub-par compared to modern games based on Unreal Engine. You complete objectives and that's it. You don't even have to kill your enemies. Finished the demo in 4 minutes that took me 6 hours to download.

One thing good about this game is that it runs good even on a mediocre card.

Noobtastic

Banned
Jul 9, 2005
Perhaps my enthusiasm is the result of having barely any exposure to first person shooters. I've only played battlefield, halo, a few COD demos, beginning of Far Cry, and the abomination that is Black.

*sigh*

Xellos2099

Platinum Member
Mar 8, 2005
The game play ok but I personally think Bioshock look a heck lot better than Call fo Duty 4 and Bioshock play pretty damn well as well.

ions

Aug 5, 2007
I think the game is pretty good myself. It's cool that my ATI 9800 Pro plays it pretty well (for being an almost 8yr old card) can't wait till I upgrade to a better video card so I can turn up all the eye candy. But it seems to be a pretty solid demo and I can't wait till the full thing comes out.

It's nice to find a pretty modern FPS also I've grown tired of the whole WWI/WWII type FPS (altho I still play them) and most of the newer modern games didn't tickle my fancy (but I did like Full Spectrum Warrior)

leetruski

Oct 9, 2007
The graphics are really good but I'm hoping that they will be better in the final version then the xbox 360 at least from the gameplay videos I've seen. I think the demo only lets one go high but not really high settings kinda like Crysis. My average frame rate (8800GTX) at 14400x900 at full available graphics was between 80-100.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Did you try the demo? This game actually looks worse than COD 2 that was 3 years old.

I have the textures all the way maxxed. It's not high settings but extra high. The graphics are somewhere in the line of quake 3. This proprietary engine is crap or in the beginning stages of a brand new engine.

Where is Carmack's new engine?

Apr 17, 2005
Originally posted by: Azn
Did you try the demo? This game actually looks worse than COD 2 that was 3 years old.

I have the textures all the way maxxed. It's not high settings but extra high. The graphics are somewhere in the line of quake 3. This proprietary engine is crap or in the beginning stages of a brand new engine.

its prolly cause you have a 8500gts, which for some strange reason you think is a better gaming card than the 1950 pro.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
so far so good.

i do agree the graphics are sub-par.

but enjoy it so far. better then MOH:airborn. the maps sucked and the black suited nazi's were annoying.

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
man, wassup with all these people saying the graphics arent good. maybe i need to start playing some more modern games but i was blown away by the graphics. I had everything on max and i had no problems. I will probably end up getting this game

gtsing

Jul 28, 2007
Meh, it was alright. I played maximum graphics and they were pretty good. Not amazing, but pretty good. I'm way more interested in multiplayer however. I just want it to be competitive like vcod and cod2.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: Inspector Jihad

its prolly cause you have a 8500gts, which for some strange reason you think is a better gaming card than the 1950 pro.

I have 8600gts not 8500gts. There is no such thing as 8500gts.

I think they're comparable speed wise. Image quality wise Geforce 8 owns all radeon right now.

Have you seen geforce 8 series in action or the graphics quality of it? Maybe you need to go try it out before you judge.

I had no speed issues what so ever with this game. Everything cranked up at my LCD native resolution which is only 1440x900. Getting around 60fps.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Image quality wise Geforce 8 owns all radeon right now.

Edited

Have you seen geforce 8 series in action or the graphics quality of it? Maybe you need to go try it out before you judge.

I have a GTX, I run everything in 1920 (24" LCD native res.)
It's nothing different from my former X1900 when it comes to picture quality.

JAG87

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2006
The game looks sounds and plays amazing. The only thing I don't like is the guys voice over the radio... why did they make him sound like that? If they were trying to make him sound like tough commander over the radio, they failed. he sounds like a 60 year old person who smokes 4 packs a day.

ZappDogg

Jul 18, 2005
It ran like silk...too bad the gameplay was in no way beyond CoD2. The audio was awesome as always.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
is it me or was the demo really short?

but it was good. graphics were ok. gameplay was really good.

seems better then MOH:airborn. and bioshock (gameplay not story heh)

daveybrat

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jan 31, 2000

WTF are you talking about?? Worse than COD2? Quake3 engine graphics??

Either you need to visit the eye doctor or stop drinking so much before you play.

I've been playing cod2 for years and COD 4's graphics are far better than that game.

:confused:

VashHT

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2007
I dled it last night from FP, runs really well on my system and looks and plays great. I wasn't too interested in this g ame b4 but now I'm gonna buy it.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: daveybrat

WTF are you talking about?? Worse than COD2? Quake3 engine graphics??

Either you need to visit the eye doctor or stop drinking so much before you play.

I've been playing cod2 for years and COD 4's graphics are far better than that game.

:confused:

I don't know it just doesn't look that great to me. Textures look good from far away as you get close it doesn't look as great.

I don't drink and game. It's a bad combination at least I don't like drinking and gaming.

Raduque

Lifer
Aug 22, 2004
Originally posted by: ions
(but I did like Full Spectrum Warrior)

Full Spectrum Warrior almost looks better then this game. :(

I cranked all the textures to max, the AA to max, the anistropy to max, even with the resolution at max (1680x1050, doesn't quite run at a slideshow, but it damn sure ain't fast), it still doesn't look that great. The water wasn't very impressive, either. Has some nice bloom and motion blur, though.

And why can nobody make grass that moves when a helicopter is hovering 8 feet above it?