COD 4 - Your thoughts?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
Originally posted by: EvilComputer92
I think they are still using the COD2 engine, just slightly modified to fit modern warfare.

I might agree with that. The graphics were ok, but nothing all that special imo.
i still wasn't impressed with the gameplay though. as i said earlier, there just seemed to be way too much going on, way too many enemies and just like constant fire.

for instance, at the end where you have to place that beacon for the air strike, i was hiding behind a dumpster or something and all i could see was sparks from the enemy bullets hitting it. it was unrelentless

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006

Edited
The engine is a propriety engine, but it has support for DX10. Not the demo, but the game I imagine. Leastways, that's what I read.

MmmSkyscraper

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2004
Originally posted by: Frackal
Am I missing something? I had everything on its highest and the graphics were subpar.

QFT.

Not sure what I think overall but I wasn't massively impressed. I prefer COD2 to be honest.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Originally posted by: MmmSkyscraper
Am I missing something? I had everything on its highest and the graphics were subpar.

QFT.

Not sure what I think overall but I wasn't massively impressed. I prefer COD2 to be honest.

COD2 is boring WWII warfare.

Last I checked, the max detail settings were "normal". I didn't see anything that said "high" in there. I doubt that you're seeing the game in it's best with just the demo.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Did anyone else see that COD4 "in game" sniper video that was posted on here awhile back? Thing looked Crysis quality graphics and that sure as hell isn't what was in the demo

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
The first time I played it, it was so-so. Now I think it's really good. I'm really psyched for this game, I know what to expect, and I'm thinking it sounds pretty cool. I just wish there was more of the demo to play. Play it on Veteran, if games like BF2 come naturally. I found the AI to be...well not really there, but the scripting (yes it is a CoD game) made me feel like it wasn't so scripted, and the action didn't feel so linear. So in that sense, I didn't feel like I was being herded through a maze, which is good I guess.
I really want this game, so I guess that means its good. I thought this game was going to be dumbed down trash, but if this is any indicator, I'm sold.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
IMHO, the CoD genre of games is more about playability and enjoyability than eye candy. Even though it looks good, that interests me much less than actual gameplay. I still play CoD2 Multi all the time. Still my favorite game. Gets the blood pumping. That's what I'm after in a game. I played a little bit of the demo, but had to clean up a huge mess my daughter thoughtfully left for me so I cut it short. But from what I experienced in 5 minutes of gameplay, this is another winner from Infinity Ward/Activision. A gold mine.

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
Did anyone else see that COD4 "in game" sniper video that was posted on here awhile back? Thing looked Crysis quality graphics and that sure as hell isn't what was in the demo

Did you notice that there was nothing above "Normal" detail settings? That should have been a hint.

coloumb

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Just finished the demo - wow... non-stop action with smooth as silk eye candy. Definitely looking forward to grabbing this one to add to my collection...

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Originally posted by: jonmcc33

Did you notice that there was nothing above "Normal" detail settings? That should have been a hint.

Mmmm. Wrong. The texture settings have "Extra" available as their highest quality, and I don't see anything remotely resembling the supposed gameplay vids. Hopefully its scaled down in the demo, not scaled down in the full version.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
CoD4 runs DX10 I think, so its possible they were showing CoD4 on DX10. Eitherway, the graphics looked super good to me.

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: jonmcc33

Mmmm. Wrong. The texture settings have "Extra" available as their highest quality, and I don't see anything remotely resembling the supposed gameplay vids. Hopefully its scaled down in the demo, not scaled down in the full version.

Yup. It had high and extra available on my demo too.

SOSTrooper

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2001
I think the graphics is inconsistent. In some areas, like the shacks and certain buildings, look very basic and bland, while in some areas (like in the open field w/ the bus in center near the end) look a bit better. The control and character movement don't feel smooth enough, and the gameplay is nothing new. I hope there will be a MP demo soon, like the 360 version, as I'm really only looking to play it for its MP.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
I updated my graphics drivers from 7.8 to I think 7.10. I don't have Vista nor do I have two cards, but the nice thing was that the graphics glitching ceased for the time being. I also pumped up the AF to max, and I didn't see much of a visual improvement, but I think the graphics as they are, look superb. The amount of detail and rugged landscapes they have as well as music is just...it's great. I thought I'd just be suckered into getting this, and now I think I really want to get it.

DieHardware

Golden Member
Jan 1, 2001
Demo was fun. I'll pick it up when it is $25-30. Plays fine @ 2xAA and mid AF on an AMD3200/8600GTS/2GB RAM @ 1280x1024.

SniperDaws

Aug 14, 2007
im impressed so far, and i loved this demo clip on youtube.

ill be saving this game for my 8800GT :)

ConstipatedVigilante

Diamond Member
Feb 22, 2006
That was AMAZING. I just played it through and it's even better than CoD 1/2. Well, maybe not 1. But it was fucking awesome. Shooting enemies doesn't feel as much like shooting rabid dogs - they run, shoot, take cover, and die. The lighting is incredible too. Using night vision with the infrared laser sight is so cool. And, best of all - THE JAVELIN! Coolest weapon ever.

Oh, and most importantly: The game is quite playable on medium-high settings on my old 6800 GS. I can't imagine what it will be like on a shiny new 8800GT!

humanure

Dec 28, 2005
I enjoyed it and will buy it when it comes out, hope the multiplayer is as good as cod2. I would have preferred staying with WW2 instead, especially since MOH-airborne sucked in so many new ways. A new Brothers in arms is coming though, hopefully that will be good too.