COD 4 - Your thoughts?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

you2

Diamond Member
Apr 2, 2002
C+ mostly on length. cod 2 was ok but toooo short. I bet cod 4 is even shorter... The graphics were fine - not the best but more than adequate. The game play was pretty smooth but there were a few spots that annoyed me (played twice in 20 or so minutes - first on regular second on hard). Anyways it's ok but if it is as short as cod 2 i'll skip.

mode101wpb

Aug 16, 2005
I found it to be too arcade'ish, the previous version had some arcade'ish moments but this put the icing on the cake.

I don't like the new compass, hard to find objective points, like the javelin in the demo.

Too many bullets flying, thought for a moment I was playing Beach Head lol.

Couldn't even take out the machine gunners behind the wood planks in the end of the demo using the sniper rifle, though the bullet holes were showing. If you stay put in the game and want to snipe from a top floor window you have to move to progress otherwise the enemy just keeps coming and coming, something that always bothered me with the COD series.

I don't think I'll be buying it.

Looking forward to Crysis I guess?

pontifex

Lifer
Dec 5, 2000
i loved CoD1 and 2. Just played this and I dunno...like mode101pwb said, way too many bullets flying around. i don't like the compass either. way too many enemies at once too.

somehow i kept getting different m14s with different scopes. one scope i liked, but the other sucked ass.

the night vision is pretty cool but hard to see anything. too many lasers flyign around.

i died tons of times and i was playing on the easiest setting.

it didn't draw me in like the other CoD games did either.

maybe MP will be better?

MrUniq

Mar 26, 2006
Graphics look great to me..loved the lighting and visual effects, smoke....good arcade action (but if you've played COD before it's prob nothing new). Sounds were subpar..but maybe b/c it was the demo. You're right about the enemies...they are really just fodder...it seems like you're better of just running to each objective and gun whoever is in your way without trying to stop anyone else.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: Raduque
Originally posted by: ions
(but I did like Full Spectrum Warrior)

Full Spectrum Warrior almost looks better then this game. :(

I cranked all the textures to max, the AA to max, the anistropy to max, even with the resolution at max (1680x1050, doesn't quite run at a slideshow, but it damn sure ain't fast), it still doesn't look that great. The water wasn't very impressive, either. Has some nice bloom and motion blur, though.

And why can nobody make grass that moves when a helicopter is hovering 8 feet above it?

You kidding? This game looks waaaay better than Full Spectrum Warrior. Maybe your GPU is not handling well. What GPU?

My game kept glicthing out video wise, and I have an x1900xt. Then I restarted, and didn't have that much trouble.

All in all, awesome game, had minimal thought of the game. Now I am addicted to it. I love getting a shotgun and M4A1 + grenadier is awesome. The forward grip on M4A1 is pretty sweet. I love lobbing RPGs into peeps and using the G3. The AK-47 is sucky sucky, imho.

TehMac

Diamond Member
Aug 18, 2006
Originally posted by: pontifex
i loved CoD1 and 2. Just played this and I dunno...like mode101pwb said, way too many bullets flying around. i don't like the compass either. way too many enemies at once too.

somehow i kept getting different m14s with different scopes. one scope i liked, but the other sucked ass.

the night vision is pretty cool but hard to see anything. too many lasers flyign around.

Sounds like these are problems with you, and not with the game. There are no M14s. Those are M4s. M4A1s; one version has a grenade launcher, and the other version has a forward grip.

The forward grip M4 has the laser, while the grenadier M4 has the reflex sight which is what the player starts out with.

NoStateofMind

Diamond Member
Oct 14, 2005
Anyone else having trouble loading up? I go to options to change the res and when i try to apply it crashes. Says something about direct x error :(

I got it to play at 800x600 but it won't let me play at 1920x1200 :(

Plumcuda1

Jan 1, 2005
Talk about a short demo! IMO a waste of time. Game play? blah ... MOHA is better. weapons ... again MOHA. AI ....... yeah MOHA again. Where MOHA loses is EA's lack of support.

Glad I did dl the cod4 demo though ... saved me $50.

Aenygma

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2001
Have to say, I really didn't love it. I still find COD2 more fun.
Most points have already been stated.
Only other thing I would add, would be more personal, since I know I don't use a normal config setup for my button layout.
I found it to be too many different buttons for the setup I usually use. I also thought some of them really did not have much use; sprint comes to mind. Not a big fan of sprint, as it doesn't add anything usually.

So, overall not sure if I will buy it.

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Azn
The game has nothing out of the ordinary. Control scheme is same old. Graphics are sub-par compared to modern games based on Unreal Engine.

It was short and certainly dark in most part but I can tell graphics are certainly not sub-pair. Did you see Quake Wars? It's easily nicer - and in fact it's easily a match for most of the UE3 MP games I've seen so far too (no bloom, thx God, that's annoying as hell in UT3.)
As much as I hated IW for making a brand out of CoD on PC and then abandoning it for fuckin stupid consoles now I have to say I'm glad there's another at least capable engine out there, even if I would have preferred some good-ol' Nazi action again... :)

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Xellos2099
The game play ok but I personally think Bioshock look a heck lot better than Call fo Duty 4 and Bioshock play pretty damn well as well.

True. However BS is a far slower game without any MP whatsoever - and you can't have another details/engine for MP...

T2k

Golden Member
Feb 24, 2004
Originally posted by: TehMac
Originally posted by: pontifex

Sounds like these are problems with you, and not with the game. There are no M14s. Those are M4s. M4A1s; one version has a grenade launcher, and the other version has a forward grip.

The forward grip M4 has the laser, while the grenadier M4 has the reflex sight which is what the player starts out with.

OFF
My favorite in this demo was the Soviet Dragunov which I had a chance to know in RL once (90's Yugo war) but I recalled a bit differently e.g. certainly much bigger... however I really miss the Hungarian-made Gepard which is one of the latest developments and better than M82A1 - Gepards is my personal fav sniper rifle: http://www.geocities.com/lando.../weapons/gepardENG.htm

AzN

Banned
Nov 26, 2001
Originally posted by: T2k
Originally posted by: Azn
The game has nothing out of the ordinary. Control scheme is same old. Graphics are sub-par compared to modern games based on Unreal Engine.

It was short and certainly dark in most part but I can tell graphics are certainly not sub-pair. Did you see Quake Wars? It's easily nicer - and in fact it's easily a match for most of the UE3 MP games I've seen so far too (no bloom, thx God, that's annoying as hell in UT3.)
As much as I hated IW for making a brand out of CoD on PC and then abandoning it for fuckin stupid consoles now I have to say I'm glad there's another at least capable engine out there, even if I would have preferred some good-ol' Nazi action again... :)

I disagree. I prefer COD2 over this.

leetruski

Oct 9, 2007
Change the brightness level to less than default. It made an awesome difference to me with the settings all ready at max.

PepperBreath

Sep 5, 2001
Graphics were amazing. Gameplay was nearly identical to previous CoD though. That can be a good thing or bad, depending on what you want. Personally, I got sick of CoD2 pretty quickly but I had a lot of fun with this demo. I think the change of environment made a huge difference. Guess I got sick of shooting the same Nazis over and over again.

Polish3d

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2005
Am I missing something? I had everything on its highest and the graphics were subpar.

Anyone remember that sniper video preview of COD4? It looked outrageously amazing and was potrayed as in-game action.

This demo doesnt' come close to that. Was this another example of flat out bald face lying on the part of game companies who have so little confidence in their games' merit that rather than improving the game, they just falsify video to dupe gamers?

I'm fucking sick of this shit.

Stas

Dec 31, 2004
What's with 65 degree FOV? So annoying. I like 90 better. 110 is good for Quake3, 100 for UT. And CoD is perfect with 90 (just like CSS).

jonmcc33

Banned
Feb 24, 2002
I liked it quite a bit. FPS that supports 16:9 and modern weapons? I'll take it. Plays a lot better than a lot of newer games too.