CNN Video of Iraq sniper killing US Troops

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: Balt
This is propaganda.

The CNN video is something that is actually happening. CNN has no obligation to report only "happy" news before elections. If you are afraid the reality of what is happening in Iraq may change your vote, stick with Nickelodeon .

I'm really lost on how many people here can't recognize that a video shot by Jihadists of them killing an America soldier and then ferreted around to news agencies to be broadcast for people around the world to see is not propaganda. Honestly, it is baffling.

Because raw footage is not propaganda. It is one of the building blocks for it, but is not enough. And furthermore, this is nothing new!

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
If you search for "iraqi resistance propaganda" on google video, there is a 30 min movie that is a lot worse than what CNN showed, with bad music on top of it.
As long as it's disclosed who the source is, I think it's safe to watch and make your own decision.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: jpeyton
This is propaganda.

The CNN video is something that is actually happening. CNN has no obligation to report only "happy" news before elections. If you are afraid the reality of what is happening in Iraq may change your vote, stick with Nickelodeon .
Holy sh1t, that RNC video is just disgusting. Fearmongerers prevail! :roll:

Seriously, it is terrible. That is most definitely propaganda. In essence, so are all political ads, but this one is particularly insidious and disgusting.

explain why its discusting? all they did was show what the lunitic leaders of Islam are saying. are they not?

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
I'm really lost on how many people here can't recognize that a video shot by Jihadists of them killing an America soldier and then ferreted around to news agencies to be broadcast for people around the world to see is not propaganda. Honestly, it is baffling.

But how is it different than them showing carefully selected videos handed out by the US government showing events like a guided bomb blowing up a suspected terrorist hideout? Is CNN somehow obligated to show only one side?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor
Maybe mommy didn't let you guys watch R-rated movies, but there's nothing here I haven't seen thousands of times before.

Equating movie violence with actual lives being lost? You really are messed up.
You're right, movie violence has more gore.

Wait?!? Are you telling me actual people are dying over there?!?

I know you guys would much rather prefer our dead soldiers to be reduced to ink on a page or pixels on a screen, but sometimes we need a wakeup call.

We went to war for oil, is war for ratings just too much for you boys to handle?

We went to more for a hell of a lot of reasons more than just oil.

Political power, regional presence, hundreds of billions in military contracts, puppet governments.

WMDs?

Sure, those too. I also do truely believe that amongst all that, there is a genuine shred of actual thought for the Iraqi people.

It seemed like such a good idea on paper: Invade iraq, secure cheap oil, keep a presence in the region (a very strategic one) to ensure the juice keeps flowing, jumpstart the economy, unite the american people behind a common enemy (even though Osama was more than enough), and nothing but a puppet government would do at this stage. And throughout all that, "free" the Iraqi people, and try to make it a better place, and maybe, just maybe, remove a safe haven from the terrorists.

The cost? A few American lives. Got to break some eggs to make an omelette, I suppose.

That's not quite how it turned out. It was fairly obvious it wouldn't go well from the start. It's just a total sh*tstorm now, to the point where there are NO good options, only less bad ones.

Often, it seems to me like Bush is the gentle retard. His heart is in the right place, for the most part, but his brain is just not functioning properly. And that is a very deadly combination. As is all brain, no heart, a la Kim Jong.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: senseamp
If you search for "iraqi resistance propaganda" on google video, there is a 30 min movie that is a lot worse than what CNN showed, with bad music on top of it.
As long as it's disclosed who the source is, I think it's safe to watch and make your own decision.
That's exactly the issue; some people here don't think American's are smart enough to make their own judgment. We can't defeat our enemy if we don't want to know more about them, their motives, their tactics. This sniper video will anger Americans to the point where they decide to take their gloves off. Whether they decide to focus their newfound anger on insurgents, or on politicians who forced this conflict on their country back at home, is up to them.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Thraxen

But how is it different than them showing carefully selected videos handed out by the US government showing events like a guided bomb blowing up a suspected terrorist hideout? Is CNN somehow obligated to show only one side?

It's all in the context of how it is presented. CNN portrayed the jihadi sniper video as "shocking" or "stunning". They barely mentioned it's use as a propaganda tool, why the US soldier was sniped, who shot the footage, etc if at all. It was only in a debate between Wolf Blitzer, Rep. Duncan Hunter, and a former General that is a CNN commentator that the propaganda angle was discussed at length. As Hunter mentioned in the debate, there was noting newsworthy in the video. American soldiers have been dying in Iraq by snipers, IEDs, etc. The only purpose the video serves is a propaganda tool for the Jihadis.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Citrix
This is propaganda.

Holy sh1t, that RNC video is just disgusting. Fearmongerers prevail! :roll:

Seriously, it is terrible. That is most definitely propaganda. In essence, so are all political ads, but this one is particularly insidious and disgusting.

explain why its discusting? all they did was show what the lunitic leaders of Islam are saying. are they not?

Nope, thats not what they're showing. Its a carefully crafted work of propaganda, designed to pull emotional strings to rally the people behind them. It is instilling an unnecessary fear into the american people. I am not comfortable with our leaders having to emotionally blackmail us into voting for them.

If they JUST showed the raw footage, in context, and let us make up our own mind, then it wouldn't be propaganda. It also wouldnt fit in a 30 second spot.

CKXP

Nov 20, 2005
i remember seeing that footage while i was at work during lunch break, being a former soldier that footage left me with the sense of anger and frustration...my heart and prayer's go out to those soldiers
rose.gif

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Thraxen

It's all in the context of how it is presented. CNN portrayed the jihadi sniper video as "shocking" or "stunning". They barely mentioned it's use as a propaganda tool, why the US soldier was sniped, who shot the footage, etc if at all. It was only in a debate between Wolf Blitzer, Rep. Duncan Hunter, and a former General that is a CNN commentator that the propaganda angle was discussed at length. As Hunter mentioned in the debate, there was noting newsworthy in the video. American soldiers have been dying in Iraq by snipers, IEDs, etc. The only purpose the video serves is a propaganda tool for the Jihadis.

Well then, that sounds like a pretty open discussion, doesn't it? Not like they snuffed out naysayers on their own network.

I agree, its not especially newsworthy. But its not propaganda, or treason. It's just yellow journalism, something we could do without. Something that is far from unique.

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
I'm just curious if some of the people who feel this is an outrage were equally belligerent when the media showed footage of our soldiers being dragged down the streets of Mogadishu back when Clinton was president.

I get the feeling that at least a couple of people in the thread hate the video because they think it might have political ramifications.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I'm just curious if some of the people who feel this is an outrage were equally belligerent when the media showed footage of our soldiers being dragged down the streets of Mogadishu back when Clinton was president.

I get the feeling that at least a couple of people in the thread hate the video because they think it might have political ramifications.

I'd think it'd be pretty ridiculous if the fact that soldiers are getting shot actually surprises people, and actually change their vote. I think the american people are smarter than that.