CNN Video of Iraq sniper killing US Troops

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: tangent1138
Originally posted by: Citrix

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it. cant you see the difference?

Also yes CNN DID trade american lives for that story cant you see that as well?

Americans don't make sniper movies of them killing Iraqis?

They didn't trade American lives. You need to set aside your patriotism for a moment and realize that CNN has a duty to report the news, good or bad. That's true patriotism.

owned.

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
I also found the video very informative, because I was not aware that Iraqis were killing Americans in broad daylight with impunity, until now. I thought they would just set up IED's at night and then wait for Americans to show up the next day, because we had control of the ground and they wouldn't dare attack us during the day, but that seems not to be the case, and they seem to be just shooting our troops and getting away with it.

forfor

Jul 7, 2006
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Atheus
Oh yea that makes sense!

Of course it does. Giving them an avenue to spread their propoganda is aiding their cause.

I'm frankly not surprised that CNN isn't brought up on some kind of treason charge.

haha dream on... dream on...

wait a few minutes

hahahahahahhahahahahahhahahaha

Let me CAPS LOCK that:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAAHA!

brandonbull

Diamond Member
May 3, 2005
Did I miss something or is CNN only showing tapes? Maybe your anger should directed at the people that sent our troops over to be put in harms way. Naaaaaaaaaaahhhhh...that makes too much sense. I'm now mad at TV manufactures because I saw this stuff on a TV.

fuzzybabybunny

Moderator<br>Digital & Video Cameras
Jan 2, 2006

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it. cant you see the difference?

They didn't trade American lives. You need to set aside your patriotism for a moment and realize that CNN has a duty to report the news, good or bad. That's true patriotism.

gun cam video of a Apache Gunship in combat taking out iraqi soldiers hiding weapons now equals a sniper video killing americans specifically to be broadcasted by CNN. ok i get it now...

I'd love to hear how its different... apart from the nationality of the dead of course.

Here's one without a gunship.

"US Marines Taking Out Afghani Snipers" (must log in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm2RFOwOiI0

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pabster
Originally posted by: boredhokie
Tards like Pabster think that the proper time to reveal child molesting politicians and the true conditions of Iraq is when an election is not approaching (ie, never).

Most politicians, Republican or Democrat, voted for the Iraq war. Every American should see what the soldier has to go through on a daily basis to see the true meaning of being a hero, rather than the plastic-sticker on an SUV Wal-Mart brand of selfish patriotism.

Where was CNN reporting the struggles the past 4 years?

This was a clear ploy to attempt to influence the upcoming election.

Can you imagine if a network had taken propaganda tapes from Hitler and aired them during the war?

Umm...they were there the entire time?

Id be surprised if some of hitler's speechs werent aired at the time. They should have been, if not.

Propaganda tapes...of course not. But this isnt a propaganda tape, with lies etc. It's just a soldier getting shot. The footage would certainly make a good chapter in a planned propaganda film, but thats not what was aired.

raildogg

Lifer
Aug 24, 2004
Originally posted by: Tab
Originally posted by: Queasy
:roll: Those that work for CNN are journalists, they're not soliders. They don't take sides in a situtation like this.

Really? They seem to have taken sides here by airing jihadi propaganda.

Let's not forget that CNN admittedly buried stories about Iraq under Saddam just to curry favor with Saddam so that they could keep a bureau in Baghdad.

Un-edited photos of combat are not propoganda.

Propaganda is a specific type of message presentation directly aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people, rather than impartially providing information.

Propaganda

Yay. Debate!

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Maybe mommy didn't let you guys watch R-rated movies, but there's nothing here I haven't seen thousands of times before.

Equating movie violence with actual lives being lost? You really are messed up.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: raildogg
:roll: Those that work for CNN are journalists, they're not soliders. They don't take sides in a situtation like this.

Really? They seem to have taken sides here by airing jihadi propaganda.

Let's not forget that CNN admittedly buried stories about Iraq under Saddam just to curry favor with Saddam so that they could keep a bureau in Baghdad.

Un-edited photos of combat are not propoganda.

Propaganda is a specific type of message presentation directly aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people, rather than impartially providing information.

Propaganda

Yay. Debate!

LOL, wikipedia.....not exactly the most rigorous source. Especially an article that doesnt quote its sources.

But it still seems accurate. But lol, using that to prove your point...thats just inviting it.

Dec 27, 2001
Originally posted by: BD2003
Propaganda tapes...of course not. But this isnt a propaganda tape, with lies etc. It's just a soldier getting shot. The footage would certainly make a good chapter in a planned propaganda film, but thats not what was aired.

Seriously, why does your partisanship have you make you such a creaton? Can you not see that that televising this glorifies the murder of US soldiers and encourages others to copy the behavior by emboldening them?

Seriously, you crazies need to reassess where your heads are at, because, based on your posts here, I'm not sure you know what side you're even on.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: fuzzybabybunny

gun cam video of a Apache Gunship in combat taking out iraqi soldiers hiding weapons now equals a sniper video killing americans specifically to be broadcasted by CNN. ok i get it now...

I'd love to hear how its different... apart from the nationality of the dead of course.

Here's one without a gunship.

"US Marines Taking Out Afghani Snipers" (must log in)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm2RFOwOiI0

ummm those were animals being shot not the taliban.

Darthvoy

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2004
yes... let us censor the god damn media more than already is. I bet the op only likes to see videos of iraqis being killed.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: HeroOfPellinor

Seriously, why does your partisanship have you make you such a creaton? Can you not see that that televising this glorifies the murder of US soldiers and encourages others to copy the behavior by emboldening them?

I'm not partisan. I have as issue with stupidity and - I see where both the left and right come from on issues, and if it's stupid, I'll call it.

I can most definitely see how televising it glorifies it, and encourages it. But between this, and not reporting it, this is the lesser of two evils. I've already said it was *unnecessary* for CNN to air the footage, but it is nowhere near treasonous, and not unlike the coverage of any other major news network.

Seriously, you crazies need to reassess where your heads are at, because, based on your posts here, I'm not sure you know what side you're even on.

Choosing sides is for the ignorant. I assess issues indepdendently as I see them, and have no need to follow any sort of party talking points. My ability to do that very thing is what makes America great.

Do you REALLY want a society without freedom of press? Because thats the road you seem to be headed on.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Maybe mommy didn't let you guys watch R-rated movies, but there's nothing here I haven't seen thousands of times before.

You're right, movie violence has more gore.

Wait?!? Are you telling me actual people are dying over there?!?

I know you guys would much rather prefer our dead soldiers to be reduced to ink on a page or pixels on a screen, but sometimes we need a wakeup call.

We went to war for oil, is war for ratings just too much for you boys to handle?

Balt

Lifer
Mar 12, 2000
This is propaganda.

The CNN video is something that is actually happening. CNN has no obligation to report only "happy" news before elections. If you are afraid the reality of what is happening in Iraq may change your vote, stick with Nickelodeon .

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I know you guys would much rather prefer our dead soldiers to be reduced to ink on a page or pixels on a screen, but sometimes we need a wakeup call.

We went to war for oil, is war for ratings just too much for you boys to handle?

We went to more for a hell of a lot of reasons more than just oil.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003
Originally posted by: Balt
This is propaganda.

The CNN video is something that is actually happening. CNN has no obligation to report only "happy" news before elections. If you are afraid the reality of what is happening in Iraq may change your vote, stick with Nickelodeon .
Holy sh1t, that RNC video is just disgusting. Fearmongerers prevail! :roll:

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
This is propaganda.

Holy sh1t, that RNC video is just disgusting. Fearmongerers prevail! :roll:

Seriously, it is terrible. That is most definitely propaganda. In essence, so are all political ads, but this one is particularly insidious and disgusting.

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
This is propaganda.

Now that is propaganda in it's most obvious form.

jpeyton

Aug 23, 2003

We went to more for a hell of a lot of reasons more than just oil.

Political power, regional presence, hundreds of billions in military contracts, puppet governments.

WMDs?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
This is propaganda.

I'm really lost on how many people here can't recognize that a video shot by Jihadists of them killing an America soldier and then ferreted around to news agencies to be broadcast for people around the world to see is not propaganda. Honestly, it is baffling.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Things CNN won't show:
- Cartoons of Mohammed
- Planes hitting the WTC
- People jumping to their death from the WTC
- Anything positive in Iraq

Things CNN will show:
- Snuff films of American Soldiers
- Anti-Semitic Cartoons