CNN Video of Iraq sniper killing US Troops

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

crystal

Platinum Member
Nov 5, 1999
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: Tab
:roll: Those that work for CNN are journalists, they're not soliders. They don't take sides in a situtation like this.

Really? They seem to have taken sides here by airing jihadi propaganda.

Let's not forget that CNN admittedly buried stories about Iraq under Saddam just to curry favor with Saddam so that they could keep a bureau in Baghdad.

Let's clear something up.

THIS is Jihadi Propaganda

were you under the illusion that american soldiers were not dying over there in Iraq?

and some are even dying by *gasp* sniper fire!

seems to me you should be watching a little more CNN instead of less. And try reading the newspaper too.

Maybe you should be doing some more reading too. Then maybe you'd find out that the footage of the soldier being shot was provided to CNN by Jihadis in Iraq.

So? It's not doctored, is it?

It's a bit tasteless, but it's absurd to call it propaganda, to say american lives were traded, and that it's treasonous.

Why is it absurd to call it propaganda when they Jihadis filmed this for the explicit purpose of influencing the American public? How is that NOT propaganda?

QFT.

You guys are very naive if you think this is not a progaganda.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
:roll: Those that work for CNN are journalists, they're not soliders. They don't take sides in a situtation like this.

If you really believe that CNN has no political agenda, you are blind.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Atheus
Oh yea that makes sense!

Of course it does. Giving them an avenue to spread their propoganda is aiding their cause.

I'm frankly not surprised that CNN isn't brought up on some kind of treason charge.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Pabster

Right. Snipers have been accosting coalition troops for almost 4 years now ... yet 2 weeks before an election, CNN decides to take a video straight from terrorists and spread their propaganda to the American sheeple in a direct attempt to influence said election.

CNN is a disgusting organization. Their conduct is reprehensible.

EDIT: For christs' sake, CNN bows to legal threats from Cindy Sheehan!

And Fox News blowing a story out of proportion 2 weeks before an election is somehow better?

I dunno where you've been, but I've seen nearly daily stories about Americans being killed in action on every major news network. Not to mention kidnappers chopping heads off, American soldiers killing prisoners, Abu Ghraib etc.

None of this sh*t is anything new.

Chrono

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2001
That's all? Dang. Time to go visit some other sites guys that show some crazy things that go on out there in the world.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
You're kidding, right? You're telling me that the soldiers were sniped for the sole reason so that CNN could have a story?

I always thought they were sniping and setting up IEDs because they want Americans out so they can get on with their civil war. I dunno where I got that impression from, I guess I was wrong all along.
The majority of bombings and attacks occur around/in Baghdad not just because it's the capital, but because that's where the foreign press is located - and the insurgency knows it. They also explode the vast majority of their bombs a hour or so before the deadline to file stories overseas occurs, in order to get their attack publicized front and centre.

In essence, there is perhaps a significant amount of destructive activity occurring solely to garner attention from the press, which so far happily reports all of it.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: spidey07
Oh yea that makes sense!

Of course it does. Giving them an avenue to spread their propoganda is aiding their cause.

I'm frankly not surprised that CNN isn't brought up on some kind of treason charge.

Fox has aired just as many terrorist tapes of them holding kidnapped workers hostage. They don't show the actual beheading, but they don't need to.

The only difference is the hostages were innocent. This is all in a day's work for soldiers, unfortunately.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Oh yea that makes sense!

Ok, lets work through it. I assume you're familiar with logic?

Terrorist use their actions or propoganda at very opportune time in an effort to affect foreign policy or policital motiviations.

This is not a definition of a terrorist, it could just as well be a definition of a political party.

Hence, CNN are terrorists and have aided jihad.

Even if the above was the definition of a terrorist, it's backward. To proove your point you need "All those who use their actions or propoganda at very opportune time in an effort to affect foreign policy or policital motiviations are terrorists."

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999
It looks to me like only the Conservative people don't like this video being shown. You seem to be more concerned with Elections than the soldiers putting their lives on the line. Is that why you do not want this shown? Do you feel this is nothing more than a liberal move that will affect your favorite politician?

The U.S will still occupy Iraq after elections. Don't worry about it. I just find it disgusting that you seem more concerned with political agendas, than the men over there fighting for you.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: yllus
You're kidding, right? You're telling me that the soldiers were sniped for the sole reason so that CNN could have a story?

I always thought they were sniping and setting up IEDs because they want Americans out so they can get on with their civil war. I dunno where I got that impression from, I guess I was wrong all along.
The majority of bombings and attacks occur around/in Baghdad not just because it's the capital, but because that's where the foreign press is located - and the insurgency knows it. They also explode the vast majority of their bombs a hour or so before the deadline to file stories overseas occurs, in order to get their attack publicized front and centre.

In essence, there is perhaps a significant amount of destructive activity occurring solely to garner attention from the press, which so far happily reports all of it.

That's well and understood, but the press is only reporting it, and CNN is NOT UNIQUE in this regard. To single them out is fvcking absurd. As absurd as singling out the NY times for breaking that "top secret" story, when there were several other newspaper with the EXACT SAME story. CNN was just as bad as singling out the Times over the rest, in fact.

Would you rather the ENTIRE PRESS just left baghdad, and the only idea we had of what was going on over there was what the army or al-qaeda tells us?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Citrix
And yet you all seem to be OK with watching Iraqis die - I guess white people's lives are just more important eh?

They traded American lives for this fricken story and its discusting and border line treason.

No they didn't, that's just dumb, the soldiers were already dead. When reporting on starving Africans, do they trade those lives for the story?

its amazing how far people reach to try to make a point. keep trying some day you will make it.

What are you talking about? Are you or are you not OK with watching Iraqis die? Can you point me to the thread where you complain about videos of bombings and shootings of Iraqis?

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it. cant you see the difference?

Also yes CNN DID trade american lives for that story cant you see that as well?

I can't see that. Can you explain your reasoning on that one? Did CNN snipe them?

because American soldiers were killed for the one and only one purpose and that was to make this story.

There is no way that the insurgents/jihadis can defeat the US militarily. They've lost every single engagement. They're only weapon is bad press for the American effort and propaganda video like this in order to sway public sentiment in the United States against the USA's continued efforts in Iraq. CNN is now a dupe or a willing accomplice in this.

This is not unlike Vietnam and the Tet Offensive. The USA was winning at the time but then the Tet Offensive was launched....it was a spectacular failure for the Communists that almost wiped them out but video and news reports made it seem like victory for them. We even had a major news anchor declare on the air that we could not win in Vietnam. This swayed public opinion and resulted in the defunding and withdrawal of American forces in Vietnam. South Vietnam was overrun by the North and millions of South Vietnamese died.

These are the exact same tactics used by the jihadis/insurgents today.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Dean
It looks to me like only the Conservative people don't like this video being shown. You seem to be more concerned with Elections than the soldiers putting their lives on the line. Is that why you do not want to see this shown? Do you feel this is nothing more than a liberal move that will affect your favorite polititian?

The U.S will still occupy Iraq after elections. Don't worry about it. I just find it disgusting that you seem more concerned with political agendas, than the men over there fighting for you.

In all honesty, you're not exactly taking the high ground.

SonnyDaze

Diamond Member
Jul 31, 2004
And yet you all seem to be OK with watching Iraqis die - I guess white people's lives are just more important eh?

Its 'Abu Ghraib'. And I fail to see how the comparison is invalid, unless of course, you believe white people's lives are worth more?

What's with the references to "white people"? You now trying to make this into a racial thing? Oh wait, you must be a camel c*ck sucking Iraqi yourself. ;)

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: yllus

That's well and understood, but the press is only reporting it, and CNN is NOT UNIQUE in this regard. To single them out is fvcking absurd. As absurd as singling out the NY times for breaking that "top secret" story, when there were several other newspaper with the EXACT SAME story. CNN was just as bad as singling out the Times over the rest, in fact.

Would you rather the ENTIRE PRESS just left baghdad, and the only idea we had of what was going on over there was what the army or al-qaeda tells us?
*shrug* I don't watch TV news at all, nor visit CNN.com very often. Don't really know what their bias is.

I'd like the press to report the news, but also remember that in the end many them are Americans, or British, or citizens of a friendly nation. You can report the news without bias and yet still dampen the emotional (and propagandic, if that's a word) impact of declared enemies of your nation.

No matter which way any of us voted personally, the U.S. is involved in a war in that country, and I'd think it behooves the press to not get overly idealistic and believe that forethought not be done on how what you're about to publicize to the world will affect your fellow citizens. A balance is easily possible.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: SonnyDaze

Its 'Abu Ghraib'. And I fail to see how the comparison is invalid, unless of course, you believe white people's lives are worth more?

What's with the references to "white people"? You now trying to make this into a racial thing? Oh wait, you must be a camel c*ck sucking Iraqi yourself. ;)

OK, perhaps I should have said 'American lives' and not 'white people's lives', especially since Americans appear to have almost as much disregard for the lives of the British in Iraq as both have for the Iraqis.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
There is no way that the insurgents/jihadis can defeat the US militarily. They've lost every single engagement. They're only weapon is bad press for the American effort and propaganda video like this in order to sway public sentiment in the United States against the USA's continued efforts in Iraq. CNN is now a dupe or a willing accomplice in this.

This is not unlike Vietnam and the Tet Offensive. The USA was winning at the time but then the Tet Offensive was launched....it was a spectacular failure for the Communists that almost wiped them out but video and news reports made it seem like victory for them. We even had a major news anchor declare on the air that we could not win in Vietnam. This swayed public opinion and resulted in the defunding and withdrawal of American forces in Vietnam. South Vietnam was overrun by the North and millions of South Vietnamese died.

These are the exact same tactics used by the jihadis/insurgents today.

So what should CNN be able to report? This is how many of the US soldiers are dying. That's just a simple fact.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: tangent1138

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it. cant you see the difference?

Americans don't make sniper movies of them killing Iraqis?

They didn't trade American lives. You need to set aside your patriotism for a moment and realize that CNN has a duty to report the news, good or bad. That's true patriotism.

gun cam video of a Apache Gunship in combat taking out iraqi soldiers hiding weapons now equals a sniper video killing americans specifically to be broadcasted by CNN. ok i get it now...

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: tangent1138

Americans don't make sniper movies of them killing Iraqis?

They didn't trade American lives. You need to set aside your patriotism for a moment and realize that CNN has a duty to report the news, good or bad. That's true patriotism.

gun cam video of a Apache Gunship in combat taking out iraqi soldiers hiding weapons now equals a sniper video killing americans specifically to be broadcasted by CNN. ok i get it now...

I'd love to hear how its different... apart from the nationality of the dead of course.

boredhokie

May 7, 2005
Tards like Pabster think that the proper time to reveal child molesting politicians and the true conditions of Iraq is when an election is not approaching (ie, never).

Most politicians, Republican or Democrat, voted for the Iraq war. Every American should see what the soldier has to go through on a daily basis to see the true meaning of being a hero, rather than the plastic-sticker on an SUV Wal-Mart brand of selfish patriotism.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Boo friggin' hoo guys. Don't like CNN, don't watch it.

Maybe mommy didn't let you guys watch R-rated movies, but there's nothing here I haven't seen thousands of times before.

CNN's job isn't to climb on the rooftops and wave the stars and stripes, it's 1) to report news and opinion and 2) to make money, not always in that order.

This is war. People die. When you guys run your own news network, you can make the decisions about what to air. But throwing around this 'unpatriotic' bullsh1t whenever you don't agree with something just makes you guys look tired, and desperate.

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

Really? They seem to have taken sides here by airing jihadi propaganda.

Let's not forget that CNN admittedly buried stories about Iraq under Saddam just to curry favor with Saddam so that they could keep a bureau in Baghdad.

Un-edited photos of combat are not propoganda.

Propaganda is a specific type of message presentation directly aimed at influencing the opinions or behavior of people, rather than impartially providing information.

Propaganda

I guess you missed the whole faux-tography scandal.

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
Originally posted by: boredhokie
Tards like Pabster think that the proper time to reveal child molesting politicians and the true conditions of Iraq is when an election is not approaching (ie, never).

Most politicians, Republican or Democrat, voted for the Iraq war. Every American should see what the soldier has to go through on a daily basis to see the true meaning of being a hero, rather than the plastic-sticker on an SUV Wal-Mart brand of selfish patriotism.

Where was CNN reporting the struggles the past 4 years?

This was a clear ploy to attempt to influence the upcoming election.

Can you imagine if a network had taken propaganda tapes from Hitler and aired them during the war?

senseamp

Lifer
Feb 5, 2006
Finally, a network that shows reality of war, instead of sweeping it under the rag. Don't want to see American soldiers killed, don't vote for people who send them to die for nothing.