CNN Video of Iraq sniper killing US Troops

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
And yet you all seem to be OK with watching Iraqis die - I guess white people's lives are just more important eh?

Originally posted by: Citrix
They traded American lives for this fricken story and its discusting and border line treason.

No they didn't, that's just dumb, the soldiers were already dead. When reporting on starving Africans, do they trade those lives for the story?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Originally posted by: Atheus
And yet you all seem to be OK with watching Iraqis die - I guess white people's lives are just more important eh?

They traded American lives for this fricken story and its discusting and border line treason.

No they didn't, that's just dumb, the soldiers were already dead. When reporting on starving Africans, do they trade those lives for the story?

its amazing how far people reach to try to make a point. keep trying some day you will make it.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

its amazing how far people reach to try to make a point. keep trying some day you will make it.

What are you talking about? Are you or are you not OK with watching Iraqis die? Can you point me to the thread where you complain about videos of bombings and shootings of Iraqis?

loic2003

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
I recon if it was a video of US troops sniping 'insurgents', many people would think it was less of an outrage. I remember one when they had a barrette sniper taking sh!t out, many people were saying things on the line of "OMG that's freaking awesome!". What about the video of the 'insurgent' Vs a tank? everyone thought it was neat.

US soldiers are repeatedly getting creamed, and it's going to continue happening. It's ugly, but it's life. Sorry I can't be more sympathetic.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

What are you talking about? Are you or are you not OK with watching Iraqis die? Can you point me to the thread where you complain about videos of bombings and shootings of Iraqis?

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it. cant you see the difference?

Also yes CNN DID trade american lives for that story cant you see that as well?

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Queasy
Originally posted by: OrByte
Originally posted by: Tab
:roll: Those that work for CNN are journalists, they're not soliders. They don't take sides in a situtation like this.

Really? They seem to have taken sides here by airing jihadi propaganda.

Let's not forget that CNN admittedly buried stories about Iraq under Saddam just to curry favor with Saddam so that they could keep a bureau in Baghdad.

Let's clear something up.

THIS is Jihadi Propaganda

were you under the illusion that american soldiers were not dying over there in Iraq?

and some are even dying by *gasp* sniper fire!

seems to me you should be watching a little more CNN instead of less. And try reading the newspaper too.

Maybe you should be doing some more reading too. Then maybe you'd find out that the footage of the soldier being shot was provided to CNN by Jihadis in Iraq.

So? It's not doctored, is it?

It's a bit tasteless, but it's absurd to call it propaganda, to say american lives were traded, and that it's treasonous.

Every single news network, CNN, was replaying the airplanes hitting the WTC, over and over and over. The amount of death that occured during that incident is far more than a few soldiers getting sniped.

And the soldiers are doing their job, and getting sniped at comes with the territory.

Did we need to see it? Nah. But are they wrong for showing it? Not really. It's news, like it or not.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it. cant you see the difference?

I can't see that. Can you explain your reasoning on that one? Did CNN snipe them?

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: BD2003
Originally posted by: OrByte
:roll: Those that work for CNN are journalists, they're not soliders. They don't take sides in a situtation like this.

Really? They seem to have taken sides here by airing jihadi propaganda.

Let's not forget that CNN admittedly buried stories about Iraq under Saddam just to curry favor with Saddam so that they could keep a bureau in Baghdad.

Let's clear something up.

THIS is Jihadi Propaganda

were you under the illusion that american soldiers were not dying over there in Iraq?

and some are even dying by *gasp* sniper fire!

seems to me you should be watching a little more CNN instead of less. And try reading the newspaper too.

Maybe you should be doing some more reading too. Then maybe you'd find out that the footage of the soldier being shot was provided to CNN by Jihadis in Iraq.

So? It's not doctored, is it?

It's a bit tasteless, but it's absurd to call it propaganda, to say american lives were traded, and that it's treasonous.

Why is it absurd to call it propaganda when they Jihadis filmed this for the explicit purpose of influencing the American public? How is that NOT propaganda?

JS80

Lifer
Oct 24, 2005

:laugh:

Dean

Platinum Member
Oct 10, 1999

If I was a soldier over there, I would damn well want my people back home to see what I see. To feel what I feel. I would not want to be merely a statistic, an added number under a gloss of localized feel good propaganda. You need to see truth in war to justify it. People need to see this. When I see this I don't think we should pull out. I see it as we need more soldiers over there, to kill more of the insurgents.

That video cannot be propaganda. Depending on who watches it, it can make them either want to fight them harder or pull out or Iraq. It does not influence an opinion to one particular side.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it.

Errr... yes they do. I have seen plenty of pics/footage of American soldiers shooting people - including British jornalists - just for fun.

Not to mention link link...

cant you see the difference?

No.

Please explain. Did CNN shoot these people?

Pabster

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001

Right. Snipers have been accosting coalition troops for almost 4 years now ... yet 2 weeks before an election, CNN decides to take a video straight from terrorists and spread their propaganda to the American sheeple in a direct attempt to influence said election.

CNN is a disgusting organization. Their conduct is reprehensible.

EDIT: For christs' sake, CNN bows to legal threats from Cindy Sheehan!

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

I can't see that. Can you explain your reasoning on that one? Did CNN snipe them?

because American soldiers were killed for the one and only one purpose and that was to make this story.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Pabster

Right. Snipers have been accosting coalition troops for almost 4 years now ... yet 2 weeks before an election, CNN decides to take a video straight from terrorists and spread their propaganda to the American sheeple in a direct attempt to influence said election.

Bingo. Terrorist use their actions or propoganda at very opportune time in an effort to affect foreign policy or policital motiviations.

Hence, CNN are terrorists and have aided jihad.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005

because American soldiers were killed for the one and only one purpose and that was to make this story.

But CNN didn't do it did they... the insurgents traded US lives for a story, although I'm willing to bet they would have traded them for a bag of rice instead.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

You're kidding, right? You're telling me that the soldiers were sniped for the sole reason so that CNN could have a story?

I always thought they were sniping and setting up IEDs because they want Americans out so they can get on with their civil war. I dunno where I got that impression from, I guess I was wrong all along.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Wow... I can't believe some of you are so upset over this. That's what is happening over there. At least CNN blackout out the actual shootings.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000

I am not OK with watching anybody die and American troops do not go out and make sniper movies of them sniping Iraqis just for the fun of it.

Errr... yes they do. I have seen plenty of pics/footage of American soldiers shooting people - including British jornalists - just for fun.

Not to mention link link...

cant you see the difference?

No.

Please explain. Did CNN shoot these people?

ok so you post pictures of abu-greib comparing that to sniping Americans?

whistleclient

Platinum Member
Apr 22, 2001

Americans don't make sniper movies of them killing Iraqis?

They didn't trade American lives. You need to set aside your patriotism for a moment and realize that CNN has a duty to report the news, good or bad. That's true patriotism.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
Originally posted by: spidey07
Originally posted by: Pabster

Bingo. Terrorist use their actions or propoganda at very opportune time in an effort to affect foreign policy or policital motiviations.

Hence, CNN are terrorists and have aided jihad.

Oh yea that makes sense!

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Honestly, I'm all about freedom of the press, but I really wish news agencies wouldn't air stuff like this.

The makers of the video filmed this to influence the American public, and when they see encouraging results they resolve to fight on for one more day - and on that one more day, kill one more American.

I'm not saying not to report things like this entirely, but why not just write it up and not show the video? It serves nobody to do that.

Atheus

Diamond Member
Jun 7, 2005
ok so you post pictures of abu-greib comparing that to sniping Americans?

Its 'Abu Ghraib'. And I fail to see how the comparison is invalid, unless of course, you believe white people's lives are worth more?