Close your Wells Fargo accounts

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
We dropped Wachovia/Wells Fargo a long time ago. Not sure why any one uses them, or other banks, when there are a lot of great Credit Unions out there.
I always amazes me that people just don't walk past the bank door and go straight to a CU.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
If you had any clue how many hundreds of millions of dollars the large banks spend every year towards regulation compliance... takes boat loads of money coming in to cover the boat loads flying out the door.

please enlighten us, then. It would be great to have some numbers with which to form a better opinion of the matter.

Feb 4, 2009
If you had any clue how many hundreds of millions of dollars the large banks spend every year towards regulation compliance... takes boat loads of money coming in to cover the boat loads flying out the door.

Apparently they need to spend even more or simply audit themselves better.
What's going on with this is fraud of customers and investors if you or I did something similar at a smaller scale we'd be jailed or fined or both.

Jan 25, 2011
Apparently they need to spend even more or simply audit themselves better.
What's going on with this is fraud of customers and investors if you or I did something similar at a smaller scale we'd be jailed or fined or both.
Yup. Corporations are people until they break the law.

Then they get fined millions for illegally making billions.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
I always amazes me that people just don't walk past the bank door and go straight to a CU.

Number of branches you can go to nationwide for ATMs? Do you at your CU get charged a fee if you use other banks' ATMs?

Do they all have online check deposit via apps?

Convenience is big for me.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
Don't worry, the retiring executive at WF will still get her "bonus" of $125M

http://gizmodo.com/wells-fargo-executive-linked-to-scam-gets-124-6-millio-1786534513

Tolstedt, for her part, has been relatively quiet about the practice of sandbagging. She has not confirmed whether she knew about the widespread impropriety, and it’s unlikely that she’ll ever speak up about the matter. When she leaves later this year, she’s expected to earn a $1.7 million salary and $124.6 million in stock and Wells Fargo shares.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
Number of branches you can go to nationwide for ATMs? Do you at your CU get charged a fee if you use other banks' ATMs?

Do they all have online check deposit via apps?

Convenience is big for me.
With my CU, if I use my ATM card for a certain amount of purchases a month, I get better interest than my saving account, and the fees are waved at all ATMs. The deposit via apps, not so much. But, I'm kind of a luddite on purpose when it comes to online banking. I don't trust anything of value on the internet anymore. The banks just cover the losses cause they just turn around and make us All pay for it.

Dec 19, 2003
As a former Sales Manager, I can say I have seen similar activities in many different organizations. Bonus or Goal is set sales people do what it takes to meet or exceed them. Too many start hitting goal its raised again and again and again and again and again until ultimately many are dealing with shady behavior to keep their jobs. Selling stuff is brutal because there is usually a simple formula that can be applied to determine if an employee is productive or unproductive.
For the record I am not defending this behavior just saying it happens at many businesses.
This. Very common practice, which works only because the higher ups justify it. People sell their souls little by little.

Reactions: shortylickens

Humpy

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2011
"We regret and take responsibility for any instances where customers may have received a product that they did not request," Wells Fargo said in a statement.

Haha!

Sorry you mistakenly received that box of rape.

Feb 4, 2009
"We regret and take responsibility for any instances where customers may have received a product that they did not request," Wells Fargo said in a statement.

Haha!

Sorry you mistakenly received that box of rape.

More like "Sorry you noticed that box of rape"

dmcowen674

No Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
www.alienbabeltech.com
Fortunately, I've never had an account with Wells Fargo, but it sure seems that a lot of people I know that had a Wells Fargo account no longer have one and swear they will never do business with that bank again. This is before all this shit came down.

I had an account there in 2006 when lived in Denver. When we left Denver in Jan 2007 I left the account with $1,000 which was the minimum to open the account and not get charged for checks. I left the money there with the intentions of getting my wife a new laptop for Christmas at the end of the year. When I went to log in the account in the beginning of December the account showed -$248. I called them and asked where is my money? They said they charge a inactivity charge for every month there is no activity. They waived $200 but wanted $48 to close the account. I said BS on that. There is probably a charge of a billion dollars in the account now.

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
Close them all. The ones you know about and the ones you don't.......

5,300 Wells Fargo employees fired over 2 million phony accounts

Old uncle Warren has fostered a culture of outright thievery and it has infected the whole company. I suspect this is just the tip of the iceburg. Just creating phony accounts isn't really all that lucrative. Now using fake accounts.....well that can really generate profits.

You don't know Warren Buffet very well do you?

disappoint

Lifer
Dec 7, 2009
As a former Sales Manager, I can say I have seen similar activities in many different organizations. Bonus or Goal is set sales people do what it takes to meet or exceed them. Too many start hitting goal its raised again and again and again and again and again until ultimately many are dealing with shady behavior to keep their jobs. Selling stuff is brutal because there is usually a simple formula that can be applied to determine if an employee is productive or unproductive.
For the record I am not defending this behavior just saying it happens at many businesses.

Very much this. Remember Enron? Their guys would call up power plants in California and ask them to shutdown, causing massive blackouts which they leveraged to make huge windfalls of profit. There is a film about it, it's on Amazon free if you have Prime: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AMTTVS/ref=pd_cbs_318_3

ImpulsE69

Lifer
Jan 8, 2010
Yea, WF may be the latest to get caught, but they certainly aren't the first or the last.

Feb 4, 2009
So when are the fraud prosecutions going to start?

hahahahahaha.....haha.....hahahahahahahahaha.....haha.....hahaha
hahahahahaha.....haha.....hahahahahahahahaha.....haha.....hahahahahahahahaha.....haha.....hahaha
hahahahahaha.....haha.....hahaha

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
hahahahahaha.....haha.....hahahahahahahahaha.....haha.....hahahahahahahahaha.....haha.....hahaha

Sad but true right?

monkeydelmagico

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2011
So when are the fraud prosecutions going to start?

Well lets see what Wells Fargo CEO has to say about Carrie Tolstedt, the supervisor of the department that defrauded thousands of people: [she] had been one of the bank’s most important leaders and “a standard-bearer of our culture” and “a champion for our customers.”

If this is the standard-bearer of Wells Fargo corporate culture then anyone doing business with Wells Fargo should buy some lube.

Don't worry, the retiring executive at WF will still get her "bonus" of $125M

http://gizmodo.com/wells-fargo-executive-linked-to-scam-gets-124-6-millio-1786534513

The thieves guild rewarding their own for doing exemplary stealing.

Feb 4, 2009
As I said love her or hate her Ms. Warren is after them. I will concede this will probably go nowhere like most things she supports. From her email:

Why are the giant banks still fighting to kill off the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau?

Why have Republicans advanced a bill to take the legs out from under the CFPB?

Why did one Republican presidential candidate after another – including Donald Trump – promise that if they were in charge, they would repeal the Dodd-Frank financial regulations, including the CFPB?

We got a hint a few days ago: Wells Fargo proved that giant banks still think the rules don’t apply to them. Nope. They think they can cheat their customers, stuff their pockets with money, and still walk away.

Over the past five years, Wells Fargo created more than 2 million checking and credit card accounts that weren’t authorized by its customers. Employees who had strict sales quotas to hit would secretly open and transfer money in and out of those fraudulent accounts, costing thousands of customers millions of dollars in fees.

The new Consumer Financial Protection Bureau went after this fraud with everything they’ve got. Late last week, the CFPB announced that Wells Fargo customers are getting all of their money back and Wells Fargo will pay a record-breaking $100 million fine to the agency.

Make no mistake – this business with Wells Fargo isn’t over. How could the bank create more than 2 million fake accounts without senior executives knowing? How could the bank fire more than 5000 low-level employees for misconduct without stopping to wonder whether there was a problem with the firm’s incentives or culture? I think there are more questions for Wells Fargo to answer.

But the CFPB has done its job: spearheading an investigation, watching out for consumers, imposing a fine, and making the whole stinky mess public. And that’s why the big banks and their Republican friends want to leash up the CFPB – because this is a government agency that is working for the people.

The consumer agency investigates giant frauds, but it also helps people one at a time. The CFPB complaint hotline has a website and a phone number you can use when you have a problem with your bank, credit card, mortgage company, or student loan servicer. So far, the hotline has processed nearly a million complaints, big and small. Not only does the CFPB work to get you a response on your complaint, but they also use the information to find those large, widespread cases of fraud and abuse.

Incidents like Wells Fargo come to light the more people contact the CFPB about banks’ bad behavior, so if you have a complaint, submit it here (or bookmark this website).

The Wells Fargo case is one more reason we need to fight for a strong Consumer Financial Protection Bureau. The big banks and financial institutions hate the CFPB, and they have bills pending in the House and Senate to get rid of it. The Republican Party’s 2016 platform calls for the CFPB to be “abolished.” The only way to stop the right-wing attacks on the consumer agency is for all of us to fight back.

The CFPB is on our side – but we need to use it and to fight for it.

Feb 4, 2009
This could get interesting, hearing set for September 20th

Get ready for fireworks next week when Elizabeth Warren grills Wells Fargo's CEO over the bank's mind-boggling creation of millions of fake accounts.
The powerful Senate banking committee plans to hold a Wells Fargo (WFC)hearing on September 20 at 10 a.m. ET, according to the office of Senator Richard Shelby, the committee's Republican chairman.

Wells Fargo CEO John Stumpf has accepted an invitation to testify, a spokesperson for the bank told CNNMoney.