'Clicking' style KB and FPS gaming....

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Son and I are FPS gamers. Is it possible that our DAS 'clicking' mechanical style ( like the old classic IBM KB's) keyboard is actually a tad slower in registering input reactions in 'FPS' games?

Old guy gamer...

Thanks...

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Unless you are taking part in large tournaments and getting through to the final rounds I don't see how you would even notice the difference.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Might you be implying I'm not an FPS gaming-God?

Yeah, well, self-deception is a key to psychic survival in this world...

(Winner of the 'West Warwick, RI Over-80 Battlefield 3 Tournament' )

Last edited:

Josh123

Diamond Member
Aug 4, 2002
I doubt it makes a difference in playing but it would definitely drive me crazy listening to it lol.

biostud

Lifer
Feb 27, 2003
could be, but I would guess the only way for you to find out is a direct compare with a new one.

JamesV

Platinum Member
Jul 9, 2011
I have the BlackWidow Ultimate mechanical keyboard from Razer, and it actually improves my play, but it is a keyboard made for gaming. If you are actually using a 1995ish IBM mechanical keyboard, then yes, it probably is gimping you, but not because it is mechanical (issues that affect play like multiple keypresses, etc, with older keyboards).

With the Blackwidow, the keys register faster then a traditional keyboard, due to needing less travel to register. This is easily seen in typing, where my wpm went up by about 15 simply by using it over my G15.

wheresmybacon

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2004
I have the BlackWidow Ultimate mechanical keyboard from Razer, and it actually improves my play, but it is a keyboard made for gaming. If you are actually using a 1995ish IBM mechanical keyboard, then yes, it probably is gimping you, but not because it is mechanical (issues that affect play like multiple keypresses, etc, with older keyboards).

With the Blackwidow, the keys register faster then a traditional keyboard, due to needing less travel to register. This is easily seen in typing, where my wpm went up by about 15 simply by using it over my G15.

This^ I love my Blackwidow Ultimate

SkuLLyRT

Sep 28, 2002
Son and I are FPS gamers. Is it possible that our DAS 'clicking' mechanical style ( like the old classic IBM KB's) keyboard is actually a tad slower in registering input reactions in 'FPS' games?

Old guy gamer...

Thanks...

It shouldn't be slower at all. Plug it in via PS2 and smash those keys.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Yup, the wife hates the clanging/clicking/bell-ringing... :)

Wow, that Razr KB sounds sweet... is it black in color ( the DAS is black).... maybe she won't notice the new one on my desktop...

All I do is buy stuff since I've been retired, sitting on my butt on the computer...

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999

Wow, that Razr KB sounds sweet... is it black in color ( the DAS is black).... maybe she won't notice the new one on my desktop... All I do is buy stuff since I've been retired, sitting on my butt on the computer...

Quite concerned with several reviews of this KB...
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWid.../dp/B003ZJ5B4I

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
And you replaced it with what?

(BTW, a southern neighbor here in RI...)

Last edited:

SkuLLyRT

Sep 28, 2002

Wow, that Razr KB sounds sweet... is it black in color ( the DAS is black).... maybe she won't notice the new one on my desktop... All I do is buy stuff since I've been retired, sitting on my butt on the computer...

Quite concerned with several reviews of this KB...
http://www.amazon.com/Razer-BlackWid.../dp/B003ZJ5B4I

You wouldn't want to sidegrade (or downgrade because of Razer build quality) from your current DAS to that Razer. They both use Cherry MX Blue switches (clickclick), so the noise you get with the DAS will still be there with the Razer.

Do you appreciate the tactile feedback with the MX Blues? I type (code) a ton, so the tactile feedback is quite helpful to me. As such I have a DAS Silent (MX Browns) at work and a Filco (MX Browns) at home. If you're typing correctly (not pressing the key all the way down) they are fairly quiet (but still more noisy than your regular rubber dome keyboard).

ELITEKBs is selling a Leopold 10key with MX Reds (light/linear switch; ie- not much force to press and no tactile bump like your Blues) for $89 that I'm looking at. Maybe that would interest you?

gorcorps

aka Brandon
Jul 18, 2004
All depends on what keys your keyboard has. All mechanical keys are not made the same and are made for different purposes. Some register with very little travel, and some require getting past a "halfway" mark. You probably have a typing type of keyboard which has a small travel distance before activation, which could be a brown, blue, or clear MX style switch. Ones with very quick activation are black and red switches and are usually the best for gaming because it's quick. Typing is okay but you can double enter a key at times (happens to me with black keys).

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
When I moved from a Dell keyboard to a logitech G15 I immediately noticed that the keystrokes registered more quickly. G15 is a really good keyboard. It's really nice to type on.

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
Thanks for great replies, folks...

I only care about the fastest KB registering my input...the Razer has had many bad reviews.

When I tried to use my USB/PS2 adaptor for the DAS KB...it didn't feel like it connected into the PS2 port, and the KB then would not work.

I didn't think of that Logitech Gamer KB... sounds like better quality than the Razer...

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
That's the same KB as mine, except a bit quieter I assume. Funny, I forgot I have those 2 USB's on the right side of the KB...

I do like my Razer DeathAdder mouse...though my son wore out the first one.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
I played with the regular Razer BlackWidow Ultimate (Cherry MX Blue switches), and I felt I had a greater tendency to hit a key multiple times in a row too fast, where a few presses got missed.

It's not entirely all about the travel distance required, it's also about how the actuation occurs. Pressing past half way, but not releasing past the halfway mark, can make it very challenging if not impossible to have a repeat key strike register.

The BlackWidow Ultimate Stealth Edition, on the other hand (w/MX Browns), does not have this problem. Actually, it's highly improved in every way over the other versions. No mirror finish, brown keys, bottoming out isn't nearly as loud (better materials/construction I'd wager), and it appears the longer keys are more stable too. I think the other versions had stabilizers of some sort, but Razer did a much better job with them on the Stealth models.

I don't feel a need at all to import a keyboard now, as this one is definitely everything I wanted in a keyboard.

The Boston Dangler, I feel ya... I had the Logitech G110, and then, in the journey of finding exactly what style of keyboard I'd really prefer, I bought the Lycosa.
Ugh, not for me.
Razer has always been hit and miss for me. Some products are a perfect fit, some are terrible. Shoddy materials have plagued a few devices as well.
I wasn't set entirely on Razer for a mechanical keyboard, but I could make use of Best Buy's easy return/exchange policies and handle everything locally, at least at first.
I liked the idea of a mechanical board, but the glossy finish and noise of the BW Ultimate (non-stealth) drove me nuts. I could actually handle it, but I knew the browns would be better, and Razer notified me that the Stealths were back in stock on their website.

Like I said, the Ultimate Stealth Edition I'm finding to feel really good, and feels like it will last.
Only worried about the finish holding up over time. Instead of a mirror finish, I was hoping for just matte plastic. Well it IS just that, but it also seems like it's a coating (same as the keycaps), so it all could wear down eventually.

Regardless, it is slim pickings for a backlit Cherry Brown keyboard. Only a few manufacturers offer such a model, and half of them I'd put at or below Razer in the long-term. Ducky has a comparable model, but that requires importing, and the import sites were still waiting for more product from Ducky.

Concillian

Diamond Member
May 26, 2004
Gaming usually wants a brown, black or red switch, where actuation point is the same as the deactivation point.

The blue has an activation point that is further into the keypress than the deactivation point (key needs to rise about 1/4 of the way up before it deactivates and can register a new keypress). If you are quickly repeat pressing the same key, you can have unregistered key presses with this style of switch.

If you fully depress and fully let up on a key every press, there will be little to no difference in response. However, the brown, red and black switches allow you to "hover" a keypress near the actuation point and just shuttle back and forth across the actuation point without releasing the key for quick repeats.

That is the main difference in terms of gaming between the DAS (MX blue) and the DAS "silent" (MX brown). If you do not experience issues with repeat keypresses, then there is not really anything to gain by switching keyboards... unless you change your keypress style to take advantage of the features of a red/black/brown switch. I doubt you will see any change in response by switching to a different keyboard that also uses CherryMX switches. The main difference is in how they actuate, with blue having the tactile click and deactivation point higher, brown having a bump that can be felt but does not "click", and black and red being smooth and linear (with black having slightly higher spring force than red). AFAIK, none of this should affect keypress latencies.

Last edited:
Mar 10, 2005
yeah, i went to best buy. something that requires a personal approval usually gets purchased in person. returning online purchases = not my cup of tea

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
yeah, i went to best buy. something that requires a personal approval usually gets purchased in person. returning online purchases = not my cup of tea

Exactly.

Which is definitely why I was hesitant to even import a mechanical keyboard in the first place. If it's not right for me, or something goes wrong in a few months, I don't desire that headache. I'd handle it if it's the best damn board ever made, but first I had to see what styles I might or might not want, hopefully ones here. It happened to work out for me too. :)

I'll say this: even if it retained the faults of the basic BlackWidow (and Ultimate), I would still have ordered the Stealth direct from Razer, just so I could at least sample the Browns. And I probably would have settled, but I am glad Razer upped their game some with the features of the Ultimate Stealth Edition.
It's got true 6KRO (plus modifiers), and I confirmed it with a key utility.
No PS/2 option at the start, but a generic adapter might make it possible for true NKRO; not sure if there's anything special about a native PS/2 connector option...

But the keys feel better (subtle in some ways, superior by far on space and shift keys, at least compared to the Ultimate model I tried at first), the switches are better for gaming, it retains the better features of the original, and feels like they tried to really max their efforts on this release.

Like all Razer products, I'll get back to you in a year and see how it's doing then. If it survives that long, it should last the long-haul (except for wearing and keyshine, which is typical of almost any keycap in the long-term anyhow).

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001

Old guy gamer...

Thanks...

yes they are a tad slower, its a problem commonly known amongst keyboard enthusiast as hysteresis. Its when the actuation point is below the deactivation point and can commonly cause problems when double clicking as you'll need to let the key come up further than you normally would rather than ride the actuation point for some ultra fast multiple presses of a particular key

clicky boards are popular for games where assurance in single distinct and purposeful key presses are favored over a flowing dynamic range of key presses, typically your RTS/RPG vs action oriented situations

videogames101

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2005
Keyboard response is a non-issue compared to your mouse.

(I could see it having an impact in Quake, maybe, but that's about it.)