'Clicking' style KB and FPS gaming....

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bunnyfubbles

Lifer
Sep 3, 2001
Keyboard response is a non-issue compared to your mouse.

(I could see it having an impact in Quake, maybe, but that's about it.)
except it is an issue if your keystroke fails to register even though you think you successfully completed the stroke because the feedback made it feel like a successful stroke, only it didn't actuate because you failed to let the switch fully reset to be re-actuated

excellent board, using awesome switches, particularly for FPS type games

however its also a relatively large board, which I wouldn't recommend unless you need a full sized board with all those bells and whistles.

Personally I'm partial to compact boards which allow for more desk space and better ergonomic position

http://www.elitekeyboards.com/products.php?sub=leopold,tenkeyless&pid=fc200rrab

that board for instance, uses the same switches but is tenkeyless and thus a lot more compact

but if you do play a lot of games that can make use of a full keyboard and make use of macros (it is a board advertised as a product for MMOs), then by all means, the K90 is an awesome keyboard

BurnItDwn

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
I've got a Das 2 (USB) and a bunch of PS/2 or AT Ibm model M keyboards ....

The Das 2 is nice, but I prefer my model M's.... I generally mostly use the Das 2 when working with my work laptop which has no ps2 ports ...

Anyhow, I haven't noticed any latency, and I play a decent amount of twitch style gaming, not Battlefield or COD stuff as that is boring to me, but I have fun with arcade shooters .... (Quake 2 and quake deathmatch were my favorites in general, but these days I just mess with Nexuiz ...)

Anyhow ... only issue I have is the multiple key-presses at the same time ... keyboard usually only registers 3 o 4 keys at the same time, and ocassionally I run into a bit of key command ghosting .... but there's really no latency ...

I type about 20 wpm on a membrane keyboard, give me a good buckling spring keyboard and that number is much much higher, especially with a dvorak layout :)

That said, I plan on buying up enough buckling spring keyboards that I never have to use a membrane keyboard the rest of my life ....

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
I have 2 of the old IBM KB's.

I worked for Big Blue way before that...1971-1973, in the 'Office Products' Division (typewriters, copiers, dictation equip), not 'DP' (Data Processing) as it was called then...

looper

Golden Member
Oct 22, 1999
James...

Re-read OP... I use a DAS KB...

Thx, I may get the Razor Black Widow Stealth, the Corsair K-90, or one of the Logitech gaming KB's...

Last edited:

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
I picked up a Filco Majestouch with Cherry Blues back in September, was lovely for typing on but I could not get used to it for FPS games. It went back and I replaced it with the Majestouch Tenkeyless with Cherry Blacks.

For gaming it felt 'just right' straight away.

I am not sold on the gaming keyboards, speaking by my own preferences most of them are big and have features I will never use. With a smaller form factor keyboard it means I can have my left hand closer to my right which is much more comfortable for me.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
You guys got me too excited with that Corsair board. I'd love a mechanical kb that has macro keys. That's what held me up from ditching this G11 which I'm not that big a fan of as the keys always seem awkwardly stiff to me.

So Cherry Reds are the keys you run the risk of getting a lot of double registers with typing, and Brown would be the best balance for FPS + general use?

What do the experts here think of the SteelSeries boards (6gv2, 7)?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
FWIW, I've been really happy with my Deck Legend. http://www.deckkeyboards.com/product_info.php?products_id=96

I've had it for at least 3 years now, and it's as solid as they claim it is. I also have an old IBM Model M, but I prefer the Deck for gaming.

Hmmm... comes in PS2. I suppose the Cherry Black is probably better in most cases for gaming though? Is the clear softer/faster than the Brown? The price is also most disagreeable, but $40 extra might be worth it to not get burned by Razer (again). They appear to offer a 30 day money back guarantee though....

Last edited:

Childs

Lifer
Jul 9, 2000
lol I have had the Razer Black Widow since BF3 released, and 130 hours later no issues at all. In fact I picked up an Ultimate edition that was on sale and haven't even opened it yet. The two together cost less ($140) than most of the ones in this thread. I'm really digging it, although if you use it while on the phone the other person knows you're not paying attention. :biggrin:

MustangSVT

Lifer
Oct 7, 2000
hmm interesting. motherboards still do come with ps2 connections. although now its mouse/keyboard hybrid.

I use Apple aluminum keyboard hehe

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Hmmm... comes in PS2. I suppose the Cherry Black is probably better in most cases for gaming though? Is the clear softer/faster than the Brown? The price is also most disagreeable, but $40 extra might be worth it to not get burned by Razer (again). They appear to offer a 30 day money back guarantee though....

I actually think mine is the Linear (Cherry Black) and not the Tactile (Cherry Clear) I linked to. Mine was gift, but had I paid what they are asking for it I wouldn't have regretted a single penny of it.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
Damn this thread to oblivion for making want to spend big bucks on a keyboard. I kind of scared to make the transition because of all the crappy keyboards I am surrounded by at work. It make drive me to insanity after coming from a decent mechanical keyboard.

nitromullet

Diamond Member
Jan 7, 2004
Damn this thread to oblivion for making want to spend big bucks on a keyboard. I kind of scared to make the transition because of all the crappy keyboards I am surrounded by at work. It make drive me to insanity after coming from a decent mechanical keyboard.

I use an IBM model M at work. Posting on it now :)

Schadenfroh

Elite Member
Mar 8, 2003
I have the Customizer (http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/customizer.html). At first I thought it might hamper me in games, but I don't think there has been any degradation in my performance. It is extremely loud, though. Love it!

I love this keyboard as well, I have used an IBM and later a Unicomp customizer for 10+ years. But, I admit it does have problems with games, there is a limit as to how many buttons one can press at the same time.

Clinkster

Aug 5, 2009
Thermaltake Meka G1.

Doesn't get enough recognition. This thing's built like a tank.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I think I'm gonna try me one of them Razer BWU Stealths. MX Brown sounds like what I would like best, fancy LED back-lighting that you can custom control and the availability of even just 5 macro buttons all at a comparatively decent price seems pretty good. I just really hope I don't end up buying one per year like I did with those shitty Death Adders.

VulgarDisplay

Diamond Member
Apr 3, 2009
I was really not impressed with the build quality of the razer keyboards I purchased. I really like the looks of the new corsair keyboards, but reviews have stated that quite a few of the buttons of them are not mechanical.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Thermaltake Meka G1.

Doesn't get enough recognition. This thing's built like a tank.

I've heard great things about that keyboard too. Sadly, it wasn't what I wanted in terms of the full package of features and specs.

With some preferences toward specs/features, the market is saturated like crazy with quality mech boards. With other preferences, there is almost zero market.

For example, you cannot even find anyone offering full sets of Cherry MX keycaps that offer solid color except for translucent letters. You can find all sorts of keycap sets, and some translucent ones, but none where the light only shines through the letter.

I was really not impressed with the build quality of the razer keyboards I purchased. I really like the looks of the new corsair keyboards, but reviews have stated that quite a few of the buttons of them are not mechanical.

While I'd agree that most Razer products have questionable build quality, the Razer BWU Stealth is a tremendous product thus far. It actually feels like a huge upgrade over the regular BWU.

I still need to really discover the truth come a year or so from now, but based on owning a multitude of previous Razer products, I really believe this board will stand the test of time.
Not saying some boards of the same model won't have manufacturing faults, but the baseline product seems to have a growing fanbase as more people get their hands on them... especially if they had the stock BW/BWU to make the comparison. There has even been some praise on geekhack, which is full of mech board lovers. Razer is fighting an uphill battle though with the mech enthusiasts, because they've got something of a black eye (and that is understandable). But the few who are daring enough to try the board, ignoring past experiences or simply taking that gamble... seem to be coming away happy.

I'm no Razer fanboy or anything, hell, I've got more Logitech products than anything. The KB is the only remaining Razer product in use, as I recently got the Logitech G700 mouse and I'm not turning back to the Razer mice.

But I'm prone to really throw support toward products I think deserve them, even when the company has ultimately disappointed me more often than not.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
It's got true 6KRO (plus modifiers), and I confirmed it with a key utility.

Can you verify that z+x+c doesn't cause lockups? This was a problem with the standard BlackWidow Ultimate. Wish the damn stealth would get in stock. Jonesin' for it now...

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
Can you verify that z+x+c doesn't cause lockups? This was a problem with the standard BlackWidow Ultimate. Wish the damn stealth would get in stock. Jonesin' for it now...

I verified full 6KRO across the entire keyboard. :)

Every single key combination can and will work.... unless it doesn't, but then that's a defective board and not flawed design (though it could be that too, but you get the point ;)).

But yeah, I wanted to see if they actually improved the Stealth boards in that regard (I had read it but Razer doesn't outright say any of those details, they give them ridiculous feature names)... I used a utility that I downloaded off of a geekhack thread, which is specifically for NKRO/6KRO testing purposes.

No matter which combination of 6 keys I tried, all of them lit up onscreen. I could get as many as 9 or 10 keys when you counted the likes of the modifier keys like Shift and Ctrl.