Cities Skylines

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
I was wondering about that myself -- once you get to incinerators and crematoriums, are landfills and cemeteries even needed anymore?

I vote "no". I've been emptying mine so far and then bulldozing with no seen effects on the happiness or health of the areas they serve(d).

Though, I admit, I sort of like having a cemetery around in my residential areas just to give it that old "small town" feel :)

Yes, if you look at the stats, incinerators don't burn fast enough for trucks to get there, landfills will empty into incinerators. As far as i can tell you can't get a big city without landfills and incinerators because of the delays for trucks getting between them.

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Yep. Also, putting them on the outskirts can cause problems too as traffic can cause too many delays in getting to their destination.

Nov 20, 2009
I'm curious (as always) about things like cable television (and satellite), cellular services, etc., being aspects that would cause a city to flourish, or perish. Are elements like this available to encourage growth and competition (between neighbourhoods, or other cities), or is this going a bit too detail.

I would image modern service aspects equatable to shopping malls, athletic stadiums and amusement parks are/were.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I'm curious (as always) about things like cable television (and satellite), cellular services, etc., being aspects that would cause a city to flourish, or perish. Are elements like this available to encourage growth and competition (between neighbourhoods, or other cities), or is this going a bit too detail.

I was thinking about that while reading some articles on network connectivity, but I don't think there's anything for that. Some people might enjoy the challenge, but it would probably be kind of excessive I think?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I was thinking about that while reading some articles on network connectivity, but I don't think there's anything for that. Some people might enjoy the challenge, but it would probably be kind of excessive I think?

They could include things in the policies like "Free Public WiFi" that would cost per building but increase the happiness in that zone/area. There's lots of policies I think they could start to add.

There's just something not right with the services coverage right now. I have elementary school ALL OVER THE PLACE and I still don't have the capacity to handle my population. When I look at the slider, it's deep in the read, but most/all of my houses are well covered and in "blue" standing for coverage happiness or whatever.

I think what they need to do, which SC did quite well, was allow you to upgrade service buildings. Start with a basic elementary school. But as your city grows, allow you to add more classrooms and expand that school without having to actually drop MORE schools.

The same with police/fire/medical/garbage/etc. That is one thing I really liked about SC.

Nov 20, 2009
Um, no. Are we all living in the dark ages? I bet less than one in ten on this forum could survive without Internet, cellular and television entertainment.

Who on Anandtech would move to a new city knowing full well they couldn't watch anything but live events in person?

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Um, no. Are we all living in the dark ages? I bet less than one in ten on this forum could survive without Internet, cellular and television entertainment.

Who on Anandtech would move to a new city knowing full well they couldn't watch anything but live events in person?

I think he was talking about excessive in the gameplay sense, not about networking not being needed in a real city.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I think he was talking about excessive in the gameplay sense, not about networking not being needed in a real city.

Yep, that's exactly what I mean.

There are tons of things that you could add to the game to make it more complicated yet also more realistic. It would be really interesting to see if people actually add these things into the game as mods for those that want a more realistic scenario. Although, I'm not sure what mods are allowed to affect in the game, but I would imagine that things like cell towers wouldn't be too hard as all they would do is raise happiness in their effective range and reduce it slightly in their immediate range (people tend to feel irrationally wary about radio waves :p).

I think doing things like laying down fiber optics would be a bit harder. At this point, you'd almost need a separate button at the bottom for networking, and yet again, I don't know if mods can do that.

Subyman

Moderator <br> VC&G Forum
Mar 18, 2005
Anyone having issues with crashes? It just started to happen today. I've never made a city over 30k, but I just hit that and started having problems. The game goes to the desktop but is still running. I can hear the music and even still quick save using F1. It seems really random. Sometimes as soon as I load a game while others take hours. I have several mods running, but don't really want to play for hours without mods to see if it is those or not.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Anyone having issues with crashes? It just started to happen today. I've never made a city over 30k, but I just hit that and started having problems. The game goes to the desktop but is still running. I can hear the music and even still quick save using F1. It seems really random. Sometimes as soon as I load a game while others take hours. I have several mods running, but don't really want to play for hours without mods to see if it is those or not.

Are you running the game with the new patch?

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
I hate dead bodies.
Why are there so many dead bodies in my offices and/or commercial properties?!!?!?

imaheadcase

Diamond Member
May 9, 2005
Ok so i was wrong, you don't need any landfills after you get incinerators. You just have to empty the landfills first before you get rid of them.

This will save lots of garbage trucks on road.

InfiniteLurker

Mar 3, 2004
I hate dead bodies.
Why are there so many dead bodies in my offices and/or commercial properties?!!?!?

This can happen sometimes if you expand too fast. I read somewhere that every simulated person in the game dies at the same age, so if you add a huge chunk of zoning that gets built up at the same time, you'll get a 'death-boom' every x # of years. So, even if traffic is flowing fine and you have plenty of death-handling-services, it still might take a bit for them to pick up everybody (every body? :) ). The only fix I've read about is to slow down expansion.

Arcadio

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2007
Ok so i was wrong, you don't need any landfills after you get incinerators. You just have to empty the landfills first before you get rid of them.

This will save lots of garbage trucks on road.

That's great news. My landfills are causing so much pollution. I build them outside the city, but as my city expands they get surrounded by buildings.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
This can happen sometimes if you expand too fast. I read somewhere that every simulated person in the game dies at the same age, so if you add a huge chunk of zoning that gets built up at the same time, you'll get a 'death-boom' every x # of years. So, even if traffic is flowing fine and you have plenty of death-handling-services, it still might take a bit for them to pick up everybody (every body? :) ). The only fix I've read about is to slow down expansion.

That's an excellent theory and makes sense. The piles of dead bodies were in a section I expanded quite rapidly. I ended up placing a bunch of cemeteries and a crematory on a 4 lane branch close to the problem area. Either that, or the natural ebb/flow as you pointed out has taken care of it.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
My city (110K) is sort of at a standstill right now.
Population is still going up slowly (+50 or so) but nothing is "needed". I expand, but nothing gets filled in. I'm planning on buying up new plots of land and building a "second city" and intertwining the two.

Arkade

Mar 29, 2015
To me. This game was really similar to sim city. And as such, i was already tired of the game before it came out.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
To me. This game was really similar to sim city. And as such, i was already tired of the game before it came out.

Whoaaa, dude! So insightful!

Conspiracy-Keanu.jpg