Cities Skylines

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
Cities Skylines

Been starting to hear good things about this game. Saying it goes back to basics (large map) and does it well. Downside is there isn't much new and the graphics aren't great. Another issue could be DLC. Something I put on my watchlist though, I'll see where it goes after release.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
Bump. Unbelievable no responses to this post.

In any case, Paradox is allowing some streamers to play the game and is allowing Youtube videos starting today. Game launches in a week.

Reddit posters are loving what they see so far.

BTW, GMG has the Deluxe version for $29.19 with VIP discount. I'm grabbing it tonight.

Rhezuss

Diamond Member
Jan 31, 2006
Bump. Unbelievable no responses to this post.

In any case, Paradox is allowing some streamers to play the game and is allowing Youtube videos starting today. Game launches in a week.

Reddit posters are loving what they see so far.

BTW, GMG has the Deluxe version for $29.19 with VIP discount. I'm grabbing it tonight.

Yeah I got the email for this low price...but not sure i'll grab it. I'm not in the mood for city building/management games these days but at that price it's tempting.

Canbacon

Dec 24, 2007
Tough, as with other city builders, I would probably wait a few weeks/months to see what it is like. Most of the issues don't pop up until the cities get really big or people go super in depth with the simulation system.

xantub

Feb 12, 2014
Yeah I got the email for this low price...but not sure i'll grab it. I'm not in the mood for city building/management games these days but at that price it's tempting.
I bought the non-deluxe game ($21.84 in Greenmangaming VIP), a brand new game that everybody who's played it says that it's many times better than Simcity, and you can get it for $22 or $24 on release day? no brainer!

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
With the possibility of DLC further down the line, I think I'm going to wait for an GOTY edition.

Last edited:

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Have had it on pre-purchase for a while now, follow the reddit like crack. Very excited for this, although there's already some areas CO needs to work on (I'm looking at you Mr. Ramps and you Mrs. Tunnels).

XavierMace

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2013
Cities in Motion didn't do it for me, so I'm going to hold off on this until it gets closer to production.

Homerboy

Lifer
Mar 1, 2000
While (early) reviews have been pretty much noting but positive, I'm still going to wait and see. I'll need to update my GPU (8800GT) to play it, so I'm not going to invest anything unless it's damn well worth it.

I am praying to God tough that it's good.

JTsyo

Lifer
Nov 18, 2007
gah, GMG/vip has it for $22. Think I'm going to bite. I can put the $8 towards DLC I guess.

Newbian

Lifer
Aug 24, 2008
I was interested but some companies like this one toss out too much dlc content that I avoid it and wait until a few months when the price is around half and if it's worth it.

On steam the game is $30 while the "deluxe" version is $40 and all I see it comes with is 5 extra buildings and the soundtrack.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
Just finished watching Matt (dev) play about 5 hours of this on twitch. I'm so, so psyched for this game as is, warts and all.

im-different

Feb 9, 2015
At $30 it sounds like a great deal, and with the emphasis they put on modding capability, I'm sure the community will be able to make it even better.

RockinZ28

Platinum Member
Mar 5, 2008
What is different about this compared to SimCity? It looks very similar to me.

WNvViLr.jpg

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
After watching some preview videos it looks very similar in style to SimCity5. Larger city sizes is awesome, but my big question is how the traffic and economic simulation fares. If they are significantly more advanced than SC5's than this will definitely be a buy for me. I never liked Cities In Motion or Cities XL very much which is why I'm not more excited but this could certainly be a sleeper hit.

CPA

Elite Member
Nov 19, 2001
After watching some preview videos it looks very similar in style to SimCity5. Larger city sizes is awesome, but my big question is how the traffic and economic simulation fares. If they are significantly more advanced than SC5's than this will definitely be a buy for me. I never liked Cities In Motion or Cities XL very much which is why I'm not more excited but this could certainly be a sleeper hit.
For me, traffic doesn't have to more advanced, it just has to work.

QuantumPion

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
The road design looks really neat - allowing you to free form highways with ramps and bypasses. Very much reminiscent of Transport Tycoon rail networks. As long as there is real traffic modeling and not just for show I'm even more interested. Especially for only $30 I'll probably buy it.

SLU Aequitas

Golden Member
Jul 13, 2007
The road design looks really neat - allowing you to free form highways with ramps and bypasses. Very much reminiscent of Transport Tycoon rail networks. As long as there is real traffic modeling and not just for show I'm even more interested. Especially for only $30 I'll probably buy it.

Traffic system is fully modeled and uses a persistent AI (i.e. unlike SC4, AI has a set residence and place of work). AI routes its path at the beginning (performance) based on the then-current situation (i.e. traffic, distance, public transport availability, etc.).

It's pretty cool and you can clearly see where the problems are in your infrastructure/network. Only meh thing so far is no dedicated merging/yielding (yet).

vshah

Lifer
Sep 20, 2003
I am so freaking excited for this game. Mostly because it seemingly snuck up out of nowhere. I watched livestreams all weekend. Can't wait till tomorrow!