Circuit City Owes Me $389 - UPDATE: 24 days later I'm getting my money back

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: TuxDave
phone calls go un-replied to.

What, they're not picking up the phone when you call?

Yes! I get bumped right to this woman's voicemail;

"Hi - I'm in the office but I'm not at my desk. Please leave a message."

And I get nothing in return.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Patience might be your best answer for now since the refund is supposed to be taking place. Be ready to come out with your guns blazing though. I suggestion you Google some higher up's phone number and e-mail addresses. Be ready to use them if your refund doesn't come in about 2 weeks.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Business day 12 and still absolutely nothing. No return phonecall, no return email. Bupkis :-\

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Ha - after two weeks of constant emailing, this is the reply I get:

Jschmuck2,

I do apologize for any inconvience [sic] please contact 1-800-251-2665 for further assistance. I am no longer in the dept that can assist you. My notes in your case are clear and any agent will be able to assist.

Sincerely,

--------
Customer Support Coordinator
Retail Escalations
Circuit City Corporate
Tel. 1-800-251-2665

But naturally, when I call and speak to whomever will listen, they have absolutely zero idea what I'm talking about. Currently a tier two tech is doing some "research" on my case and supposedly will call me back. So far, no dice.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Right. So after several long conversations with different level two tech support, it's obvious the person I dealt with originally has left absolutely NO indication of our conversation and therefore no record of Circuit City owing me this money.

I've been poking around and I'm thinking I'll have to send three letters: one to Circuit City Corporate HQ, one to the BBB and one to the Virginia (where CC Corporate is) Attorney General to file a consumer complaint.

Can anyone who has been through something like this before offer any advice? I'm so disgusted by the whole thing.

49erinnc

Platinum Member
Feb 10, 2004
FYI: Most retailers laugh at BBB complaints. I'm not saying that the BBB doesn't have a purpose but in my experience, they aren't really perceived as a serious threat these days. They tend to be mediators who lack any true ability/authority to resolve an issue like this.

Hire a lawyer or contact your Attorney General if you are serious about filing a formal complaint but I wouldn't even waste my time with the BBB.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
Originally posted by: 49erinnc
FYI: Most retailers laugh at BBB complaints. I'm not saying that the BBB doesn't have a purpose but in my experience, they aren't really perceived as a serious threat these days. They tend to be mediators who lack any true ability/authority to resolve an issue like this.

Hire a lawyer or contact your Attorney General if you are serious about filing a formal complaint but I wouldn't even waste my time with the BBB.

Yeah...nobody really pays attention to the BBB. AOL, a good example, had millions of complaints, and yet still kept gaining millions of customers.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
The BBB is worthless in most cases.

Your best bet is to try hard to get the president's or CEO's e-mail address. This will require internet research and requests for it by posting in relevant forums. Granted, all he will do is forward it to someone else, but rest assure that "someone else" will be good at their job and will respond since the e-mail is being forwarded from the Pres/CEO. They will most likely work with you to resolve the issue fast since they know that you are capable of reporting their performance directly to the Pres/CEO.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
AFter reading your OP, I don't see where CC actually OWES you anything. YOU admit that you mis-ordered the TV by failing to click on the "web-only special" link that would have gotten you the deal you actually wanted. Sure, it would be great customer service if they went ahead and provided it to you once you noticed the error, but come on, CC isn't known for their great customer service...especially if it might cost them $$$.
You can bitch and complain, file BBB complaints, etc., but what it all comes down to, is user error, NOT anything that CC did wrong.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD
AFter reading your OP, I don't see where CC actually OWES you anything. YOU admit that you mis-ordered the TV by failing to click on the "web-only special" link that would have gotten you the deal you actually wanted. Sure, it would be great customer service if they went ahead and provided it to you once you noticed the error, but come on, CC isn't known for their great customer service...especially if it might cost them $$$.
You can bitch and complain, file BBB complaints, etc., but what it all comes down to, is user error, NOT anything that CC did wrong.

Incorrect. I spoke to customer service on the phone and the issue was resolved. The CSR I spoke to assured me the difference would be credited to my bank account. It's just that simple.

But thanks for your really informative, helpful and kind post. I really appreciate it.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
So you are on the web site, and there's an ad for a web-only special. You find the TV and add it. Forget about them agreeing to refund it for a minute, how is it that anyone could think he is not owed the HTIB regardless of whether he clicked a particular link? He shouldn't have to click a particular button if it's advertised on the site. It should be done automatically regardless of which method he uses. It's like advertising it on tv, then when you go in and buy it, they tell you that you can't have the deal because you didn't bring in a VHS copy of the ad or something.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: torpid
So you are on the web site, and there's an ad for a web-only special. You find the TV and add it. Forget about them agreeing to refund it for a minute, how is it that anyone could think he is not owed the HTIB regardless of whether he clicked a particular link? He shouldn't have to click a particular button if it's advertised on the site. It should be done automatically regardless of which method he uses. It's like advertising it on tv, then when you go in and buy it, they tell you that you can't have the deal because you didn't bring in a VHS copy of the ad or something.

Which is exactly what I did. I just kind of assumed (save the lame jokes) that adding the TV to my cart was all that I had to do.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
do you really think CC gives a crap about the BBB?

news flash for you. the BBB is a private company they have no power, the only people who care about the BBB are small business who PAY TO BE MEMBERS of the BBB.

Jschmuck2

Diamond Member
Jul 13, 2005
Originally posted by: Citrix
do you really think CC gives a crap about the BBB?

news flash for you. the BBB is a private company they have no power, the only people who care about the BBB are small business who PAY TO BE MEMBERS of the BBB.

I guess not? Again, that's why I made this post in the first place - I don't really know the answers. Apparently the BBB is a useless shill organization put in place to lull me into a false sense of consumer security.

But now I know and knowing is half the battle.

GI Joe.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: torpid

I'm not sure that the OP is describing that particular part of the story well. I've seen similar deals on CC.com where you buy one item and get an other item for free or at a discount, and they instruct you to add both items to your cart. The OP admits he screwed up there.

That's not really the issue though - they were willing to correct that mistake. Unfortunately they screwed up in fixing that mistake and the OP got hosed.

I think it's unlikely that the OP will get his $400 back, so I hope he is planning on returning the TV before his time runs out on that.

Xavier434

Lifer
Oct 14, 2002
Originally posted by: Jschmuck2
Does this look about right?

Looks good. I would contact all of those people. Write a very good complaint letter, but make sure that you don't type with your middle fingers and don't write them a book. Give them all of the facts, but keep it to the point and above all else, stay professional. Remember that despite how crappy they are treating you, they deal with this stuff every day. You would be shocked at how much of a better response you will get if you keep everything professional. Also, try your best to be nice if you contact them by phone while expressing your concern. People produce quality work for nice people. Not jerks.

torpid

Lifer
Sep 14, 2003
BTW, my debit card dispute took less than 2 days for the credit to show up, the one time I filed one.