Cindy McCain releases 2006 tax returns

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
So let's see, the McCain campaign has released two sets of documents (John's medical records and Cindy's tax returns for '06) on a Friday, right before a 3-day holiday weekend. What're they trying to bury, exactly?

Cindy McCain releases 2006 tax returns

WASHINGTON (CNN) ? Cindy McCain released part of her 2006 tax returns Friday. The filings show she earned a total income of $6 million, and paid more than $1.7 million in taxes. She also claimed deductions of close to $570,000.

Her husband John McCain's presidential campaign said she had received an extension on her 2007 tax returns, and planned to release those as well. Her husband, presumptive Republican nominee John McCain, made his own returns public last month.

Under a prenuptial agreement, the couple keeps their tax returns and assets completely separate. Cindy McCain is heiress to a liquor fortune.

A campaign spokesman said she still had concerns about the privacy of her children ? the reason she had given earlier for not releasing the records ? she did not want the lingering questions continue to be a distraction from other issues.

The campaign dismissed questions over its decision to release the documents late on the Friday of Memorial Day weekend. "The campaign makes determinations when the make things public," spokesman Tucker Bounds told CNN. "This is something that came together today. We feel very good about that fact that people are able to get the information that they had asked for."

A campaign aide says that Cindy McCain made the decision recently, but this was the first time the campaign had had a chance to release the documents.

He added that the moves will exceed those of Teresa Heinz Kerry, also an heiress, when her husband John Kerry was the Democratic presidential nominee in 2004. Heinz Kerry made one year of returns public, but withheld some portions of the filing, and did not release the information until the final months of the campaign.

She's like the boozier version of Teresa (don't call me "Heinz") Kerry. :p

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
OMG OMG. This is shocking. These tax returns reveal that Cindy McCain is..is..is rich! And McCain's medical records reveal that..that..he's healthy!

I am shocked and/or amazed.

When does Obama release his medical records?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
I must be missing something, what exactly is she trying to "bury" here?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I somewhat disagree with the bury it contention, slow news day or not, now her taxes will get examined. At least Cindy is starting to come clean and get with the program. Even as a partisan dem, she is finally doing the right thing and lets call a spade a spade. Maybe the life unexamined is not worth living, but privacy is not a luxury for the famdamilies of Presidential candidates. Sooner or later she will have to get her taxes current, but she is volunteering to come under the same microscope that comes with the territory.

One negative issue against McCain somewhat defused.

DealMonkey

Lifer
Nov 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Queasy
He doesn't need to! (A) He's in great shape, and (B) He doesn't suffer from PTSD (i.e. no "Nam" flashbacks of Charlie torturing him), (C) He's not suffering from malignant melanoma from rotting in the sunny and scenic jungle prison camps of Vietnam.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
what better way to bury a story than release it on the day when everyone is looking for buried stories? :confused:

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
DealMonkey is exactly right about the history of releasing things late Friday as a way to bury them. As to whether there's something controversial in her tax returns, we don't yet know, but it's nothing that was identified in the first read by the reporter quoted above. It may well be nothing more than that the McCain campaign doesn't want the media attention focused on her wealth.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: loki8481
what better way to bury a story than release it on the day when everyone is looking for buried stories? :confused:

Nice try, but the fact is the late Friday thing works and is still used. Sure, the 5% of the more politically aware are watching it, but the bottom line is the media still drops the stories.

As I said above, I suspect it's simply to keep the story from being covered more because it's not something that helps (or hurts) McCain much.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: DealMonkey
He doesn't need to! (A) He's in great shape, and (B) He doesn't suffer from PTSD (i.e. no "Nam" flashbacks of Charlie torturing him), (C) He's not suffering from malignant melanoma from rotting in the sunny and scenic jungle prison camps of Vietnam.

A) Obama is/was a smoker.
B) Obama is a black man. They are typically at greater risk of things like high blood pressure and prostate cancer.
C) Obama is a human being (not a divine being) and is subject to all sorts of other crap.

I think it is only fair.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006

That's not fair. What's good for one is good for another and there are plenty of conditions not visible.

Now, as for how we react, that's another issue. Perhaps the two greatest presidents of the 20th century hid Polio (FDR) and Addison's (JFK).

pstylesss

Platinum Member
Mar 21, 2007
A. J. MacInerney said to President Andrew Shepherd "This country does not elect a man in a wheelchair".

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Originally posted by: Craig234
DealMonkey is exactly right about the history of releasing things late Friday as a way to bury them. As to whether there's something controversial in her tax returns, we don't yet know, but it's nothing that was identified in the first read by the reporter quoted above. It may well be nothing more than that the McCain campaign doesn't want the media attention focused on her wealth.

Bullshit Craig234, you can bet that democratic swiftboaters will now go to over time work on what they have now. It may sail over the head of voters today, but as Arnie says, the issues if any will be a "I will be back" by November.

It may be the American dream that any boy or girl can grow up to be President, but what parents forget to warn about is don't marry a Presidential contender and expect to have a right to privacy.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Lemon law

Bullshit Craig234, you can bet that democratic swiftboaters will now go to over time work on what they have now. It may sail over the head of voters today, but as Arnie says, the issues if any will be a "I will be back" by November.

It may be the American dream that any boy or girl can grow up to be President, but what parents forget to warn about is don't marry a Presidential contender and expect to have a right to privacy.

I can't begin to tell what you are disagreeing with me on, much less the cause for your tone.

glutenberg

Golden Member
Sep 2, 2004

Jeez, way to be fair.

UberNeuman

Lifer
Nov 4, 1999

I can't begin to tell what you are disagreeing with me on, much less the cause for your tone.

I doubt LL posted that. It's not his normal tone....

mshan

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2004
1) Gotta wonder what Cindy McCain's real tax rate was in years when John McCain and she didn't know they were going to run for the presidency in 2008?

2) McCain had cancer removed this year, but that is now being spun into "he is cancer-free"

When I read that McCain is cancer free, I thought it was pretty much a non-story. But if the narrative had been John McCain had cancer removed this year, I think the story would have a lot more traction.

He had malignant melanoma in the past (nasty cancer), but cancer removed this year was much more benign squamous cell cancer.

jpeyton

Moderator in SFF, Notebooks, Pre-Built/Barebones
Aug 23, 2003
Did she not file tax returns in 2007?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: jpeyton
Did she not file tax returns in 2007?

Did you read the OP?

I'll give you a hint, both questions have the same answer.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
Now we go into the silly season on a thread that was supposed to be about a single issue, namely the release or non release of Cindy MCains's tax records. And now we are talking about health side issues and everything else the cat can drag in.

What the hell is wrong with acknowledging that Cindy McCain has started to do the right things?

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Now we go into the silly season on a thread that was supposed to be about a single issue, namely the release or non release of Cindy MCains's tax records. And now we are talking about health side issues and everything else the cat can drag in.

What the hell is wrong with acknowledging that Cindy McCain has started to do the right things?

Going to respond to my post?

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

You can choke on a cock for insinuating that McCain's service represents a liability instead of incredible bravery and heroism. :|