Cigarette smokers - why did you start, and what was the appeal?

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
a lot of people dont admit it, but they think their cool becuase the smoke (youunger people)
like a day ago, i was with my friends, they weere skating, and there was some 14 year old kids, and they were smoking, they blankly say , "you dont have to smoke to be cool" then the "act" like they smoke, they didnt even take the smoke into their lungs, just in and out of the mouth, and they though they were so cool.......just prooves it that smoking seems to make stupid people think their soo cool.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Isla,

You can be forgiven. It's a genetic thing.:)

BTW, thank God you changed your icon back! I kept getting the creepies thinking you were Paulson.:D

Russ, NCNE

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< just prooves it that smoking seems to make stupid people think their soo cool. >>

chiwawa626,

I'll do you a favor and not point out all the ways you just made yourself look like a brainless, clueless little idiot with that statement.

Russ, NCNE

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
I think he was refering to young people when he said that...which makes it sound a little less stupid.

I'd say most people who start smoking before about 16 or 17 do it to fit in and make them selves more poular, which is the # 1 priority of a lot of teenagers.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
FrogDog,

The fact that he was referring to young people is not relevant. They are &quot;young&quot;, not automatically stupid simply because they pick up a cigarette. The &quot;act&quot; is stupid. But, there is no correlation between intelligence level and whether or not one smokes.

Russ, NCNE

FrogDog

Diamond Member
Jan 12, 2000
However, sacrificing your health (because I'm sure those 14 year olds he described new smoking was bad for them) just to look 'cool' and fit in might tell you something atleast about their priorties, if not intelligence.

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Russ

Absolutely true. Intelligence and smoking have no correlation whatsoever.

In fact......

Many exceedingly talented and intelligent people are at risk for the addiction because there are certain characteristics that go hand in hand.... A double edged sword.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< Then do you agree with me, that the tobacco companies should be taken to task for deliberately contributing to the smoking habits of minors? >>

Isla,

Absolutely. There?s no justification for what they?ve done given what has been revealed in these lawsuits. As sickening as I find the idea of lawyers and politicians making a mockery of decency of big tobacco, I can?t say I feel sorry for these companies in any way. The day they all tank will be one of the happiest in my life.

<< No, I tell them it is good for you. What kind of a retarded question is that? >>

A simple question or so I thought. I was simply curious to know if you realize the hypocrisy of your stance with your children.

<< Do you feel that? That's me giving you a high five. >>

Ever see what the hands of a two-pack a day smoker can do to a computer keyboard in only 6 months? The build-up of filth is astonishing.

<< Absolutely true. Intelligence and smoking have no correlation whatsoever. >>

Yep, tis true. But the addiction is strong and the concern for others and themselves is weak. I can understand how a middle aged man with no family could rationalize self-destruction. But in a family situation, it?s ghastly to think just how irresponsible it is to continue that behavior when those involved are fully aware of all of the facts. :(

chiwawa626

Lifer
Aug 15, 2000
im not trying to be an idiot, but i am right
i know people who refer to smoking as kool.
and somoking weed is even kooler...........im talking about kids 15 and under.

have u ever seen a little kid acting like he was smoking? well they think its cool or amusing, thats why they do it

i think its bad to smoke infront of kids especialy under 15

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
A simple question or so I thought. I was simply curious to know if you realize the hypocrisy of your stance with

I wonder if you know the hypocrisy of your judgement of somebody you have never met. Be careful, those soapboxes can be kind of high, and the fall can be pretty hard.

Mill

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Oh please. I know smoking is bad for me. What I don't need is you holier than thou types to tell me about the Bazillion diseases and problems I am burdening society with. Fck you and your high horse you rode in on. That is why we are free in the U.S. If I want to smoke outside and I am not in your face, then I will.

How many of you drink? Do other drugs? Smoke weed? Answer that first. Then start attacking smokers. You say smoking=Ignorance. Intolerance and Arrogance=Ignorance

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< I wonder if you know the hypocrisy of your judgement of somebody you have never met. >>

Fair enough. But in my mind I wasn't judging the &quot;mother known as GirlFriday&quot; I was criticizing any mother who would subject their children to the torture of cigarette smoke. I know you are a fine human being. How do I know? I've read some of your posts in other threads. It's just this one damn topic that gets my undies all bunched up.

Gonna stop judging now, yes I am. Sorry for my temper. All this participation in political threads didn't help matters any. I'm calm now, relaxed now....at peace, passive...(and I'm not relying on nicotine to achieve this...hehe sorry just one last prod..).

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Well I do see your point about smoking around children. It should be avoided at all costs. And since you were so nice about it, I will let the one last prod go by without a comment. Actually, that one was pretty funny. ;)

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I have two children of my Own and I do not smoke by them. I do not tell them to smoke either. I started smoking when smoking was considered not a problem. The thing that makes me upset is the goverment taxing the $hit out of my vice and turning around and giving that money to the tobacco growers..

Ausm

XL

Jul 23, 2000
What grown man would say something like this to a 15 year old?

<< I'll do you a favor and not point out all the ways you just made yourself look like a brainless, clueless little idiot with that statement >>

eia430

Sep 7, 2000
I really don't mind smokers as long as it does not affect me. It would be nice to have a policy for smokers in health care that goes like this. If you've smoked for greater than say 15 years and you come down with lung cancer or other obviously smoking triggered disease that no insurance or government funds pay for your stupidity. At that point you should pay out of your own pocket and if that is not enough well then just die. I'm sick of being affected by the simple stupidity of other people who CHOOSE to increase their risk in certain areas affecting MY insurance rates or wasting tax dollars. Is this not reasonable? you smoke, you accept the risks and bear 100% of the burden of the stupid decisions of your life. I should not have to forced to pay through higher insurance rates or higher taxes for the CONSCIOUS, WILLFUL decision of another person to smoke. This cold heartless mentality of mine is borne from the frustration of chosing the right path for myself yet being forced to pay for other people's stupidity. I chose not to use drugs, I chose not to drink, I chose not to smoke, I chose to work hard and earn money. I do nothing but contribute to the well being of my community. If I've made the right decisions by not drinking,smoking,use drugs,etc why do I have to bear the burden of the stupidity of others that have? THIS IS NOT RIGHT.