Cigarette smokers - why did you start, and what was the appeal?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< Never smoked a cancer stick in all my life. Been smoking herb since I was 10 and now I'm 19. >>

Bwuahahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!!!

Russ, NCNE

Viper GTS

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
What I don't get is the people who quit while they're pregnant... And then start up again afterwards. Why the hell would you do that? You broke the habit for nine months, and now that the baby's born you go right back to it?

:confused: <-- My favorite icon these days.

Viper GTS

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Actually Viper GTS, I quit for 2 years with each kid. And as for why I went back, if I knew that then I would be able to avoid the reason, and not go back to it. ;)

DaBoneHead

Sep 1, 2000

I never smoked (never even tried it), but IMHO...

If you make it to 20, and you have never smoked or are not smoking, then you will never start and don't have to worry about it.

Tobacco companies know this, and so they try, in one way or another, to target the 9-16 year olds (don't believe me? research 'rootbeer flavored cigarettes').

Congress has tried to punish the cig companies for this, but if the cig companies don't actively target 'Yutes', then they will eventually have *no* market... since their market-base generally dies off earlier.

Just a note from me to the parents out there, keep an eye on your kids in those early years when they are impressionable and vulnerable. Try to prevent them from making a mistake they will regret later. With few exceptions, I think all smokers regret smoking, and what it does to people around them.

Oh, and how many people think that criminal charges should be filed against the tobacco companies? I mean, we are hunting Firestone for about 100 deaths, but how many hundreds of thousands of people have died due to tobacco? Is this a double-standard?

Let me know, I'm curious about peoples opinions.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
To me it's disgraceful to start smoking again after the child is born. The baby will suck in second-hand toxins no matter how hard you try to prevent it. Knowing the harmful effects smoking has on the drug user and on innocent third-parties how could you possibly not quit?

To me it's pathetically irresponsible to smoke if you choose to start and maintain a family. You do yourself and those close to you a great disservice in the least, and potentially shorten their lives and cause other family-related emotional problems at worst. Damn if I was addicted like that I would do everything possible to prevent harm coming to my family. I realize not everyone is able to do so but it sounds like some of you have simply rationalized continued use of nicotene and disregarded the dangers. Regret is not enough. :|

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
What DaBoneHead says is very true. BTW, Bone, that is one of the things I always admired about you. Where where you when I was 14?? ;)

No one in my family smoked. No one in my family did anything. For fun my sisters and I would read the play, &quot;The Bluebird&quot; out loud. We made up plays and variety shows for the 8mm camera. A Spanish family of total geeks. The shame, the shame! :D

The smoking kids I knew seemed cooler than me. I was too young to really understand the true meaning of cool, which is being comfortable in your own skin! And yeah, the ads that showed glamorous people smoking did have an effect on me.

Yes, I am keeping an eye on my kids. It's my job. :)

And yes, it is a double standard. I think the tobacco companies should pay, especially for targeting kids! Grrrrrrrr. I've said it before and I'll say it again.... the tobacco companies are evil. Evil, evil, evil, evil! I feel that the politicians who are in bed with them are equally responsible.

GF

Don't give up. I quit when I was pregnant with my first child and that was really it for the most part. For a few years after that, I would occasionally smoke during moments of great stress or just to piss my husband off when he was being overly controlling. If you have quit before, you can quit again for good. I'll send positive quit-smoking-vibes your way. :)

Gloaras

Sep 14, 2000
Started to smoke when I was 13 and am now 26.. not very good... I have stopped off and on but have not been able to stopped fully yet. I am at about 3-4 cigarettes a day until that is I go have a beer at a friends house :( This weekend my husband(who doesn't and never smoked) is locking me in our bedroom so I don't smoke.. wish me luck.. ;)

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Damn if I was addicted like that I would do everything possible to prevent harm coming to my family. I realize not everyone is able to do so but it sounds like some of you have simply rationalized continued use of nicotene and disregarded the dangers. Regret is not enough.

I already told you once, maybe you missed it though, so I will say it again. I do not smoke around my kids. So what I do with my own personal time and my body is really of concern to nobody but me.

cause other family-related emotional problems at worst.

Don't worry about it, all my kids are in intensive counseling to help them deal with the fact their mother is a smoker. ;)

Isla: Thank you, I need all the help I can get. :)

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
Gloaras

Don't worry, you will make it! Start walking every day to relieve stress. You won't miss smoking at all! Eventually, you will be able to drink a beer or two without wanting a cigarette. You may have to stay away from people who smoke for a while, though.

GF

I'm sure your children are happy and fortunate to have you. The biggest problem will be if they lose you to smoking-related illness! I know how difficult it is to quit but you can do it.... you made Elite, you can do anything! :) I'll be cheering for you when you run your first marathon in a few years. Trust me, you will get there. :)

(PS... sorry for crapping the thread, if I did... :eek: )

randomlinh

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
linh.wordpress.com
I don't smoke (17) nor do I plan to. If I'm stressed out, I'll go play tennis or walk a very long time.

Both my parents did since as far as I can remember, but my mom quit quite some time ago (tho she does smoke out of fustration sometimes, a bit more often these days). So I've been exposed to enough 2nd hand smoke to last me 20 lifetimes.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
<< Don't worry about it, all my kids are in intensive counseling to help them deal with the fact their mother is a smoker >>

You make light of it again. Unbelievable but this is common in the smokers I've known. I can only assume you're either one of the rare people who can control their addiction to such a degree that you truly don't ever smoke in your car when the kids are with you and always go outside away from them in your moments of weakness. Either that or the drug has total control over you.

Out of curiosity: do you advise them of the evils of smoking? And do they ask why, if smoking is so bad, does their mother do it? I don't for a moment believe kids blindingly follow their parent's footsteps. Quite the contrary. If a mother smokes may lead their kids far away from it! Yet 18 years of their life is spent inhaling second-hand toxins. Except in GirlFriday's house, of course.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
ausm<---- Stands up in the crowd and says YES !! I am a smoker The reason I smoke is so the goverment can tax the living $hit out of me and also so people can bitch at me about my habit.

Jellybaby Lighten up on Girl Friday...nicotene is an addiction it is about time a$$holes like yourself realize that and cut us some slack.

Ausm

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
nicotene is an addiction it is about time a$$holes like yourself realize that and cut us some slack.

Darn straight. Glad you said that, ausm.

The more people put me down for it, the more pissed I got... the more pissed I got, the more likely I was to light one up.

You can quit if you want, but it takes the love and support of the people around you. My husbnad was such an amazing a$$hole about it that it was all I could do to keep from smoking just to spite him.

He called my aged mother at 2AM once to tell her I had smoked a cigarette with one of his female coworkers at a party we attended (one of hers... I hadn't bought any of my own in years by this time!). Need I say more???????????

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
ausm,

So what's your excuse? &quot;I tried, can't do it&quot;. &quot;I enjoy it too much.&quot; Have you sought help? I'd cut you and your fellow users some slack but unfortunately smokers don't deserve it. You smell up our world, filling it with toxins we have no choice but to breathe. And speaking of breathing we have to hold our breath entering and exiting buildings because there you are sir outside standing by an ashtray looking like a nervous fool. And how many times have I seen you simply toss out your cancer sticks on the road as I'm driving behind you (again breathing your stench)?

It would be different if 1) smoking didn't involve me, 2) it wasn't allowed in any public place, 3) there were no health concerns. But this is reality and I'm involved. Damn right I'm gonna speak my mind, especially when my buttons are pushed.

JellyBaby

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Isla, this is a public forum not a household. I can't know you personally and never see the details of any individual situation. It's all about generalization and extremes. But always remember the fight here is against the idea of doing nicotene. Im my mind at least. I'm never personally get worked up over people. People are good, drugs bad.

And you must admit, tolerance is often interpreted as acceptance. Direct argument often gets results, just maybe not in your case. ;)

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
jellybaby...

All your points are valid... having been on both sides of the situation, I respect your veiwpoint.

DaBoneHead brought something up about the marketing of cigarettes.

If someone begins smoking as a child, which most do, you have to try to have just a little bit of compassion.

When I see a smoker, I see a former child's pain and vulnerability. That's why I feel compassion rather than disgust or hatred.

Yeah, yeah, I'm a bleedin' heart... but it will come in handy if you ever need a little empathy. ;)

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000
jellybaby....

Then do you agree with me, that the tobacco companies should be taken to task for deliberately contributing to the smoking habits of minors?

Because ultimately, that is where this all begins!

edit: you are right, this isn't a household, it is a public forum.... But I am incapable of not seeing the individual in any given situation. Must be some kind of affliction or something. ;)

Yeeny

Lifer
Feb 2, 2000
Out of curiosity: do you advise them of the evils of smoking? And do they ask why, if smoking is so bad, does their mother do it? I don't for a moment believe kids blindingly follow their parent's footsteps. Quite the contrary. If a mother smokes may lead their kids far away from it! Yet 18 years of their life is spent inhaling second-hand toxins. Except in GirlFriday's house, of course.

No, I tell them it is good for you. What kind of a retarded question is that? And you want a serious answer from me? Ask me a question without any critical overtones and without prejudging me, and you might get one. I don't and never have smoked around you, so you have no idea what kind of smoker I am. So keep your broad generalizations to yourself.

StageLeft

No Lifer
Sep 29, 2000
Reading the various posts on this board, and especially in this thread I've realized that most issues have at least a couple of sides, and both are valid from their perspective.

I see where Jellybaby is coming from and I have felt the same way in the past. I don't particularly care for the smell of smoke either, and it can harm other people, but most smokers don't do it because they want to. It is an addiction. I bet that most/all of the people on this board who regularly smoke would give up an awful lot to be given the strength to stop smoking forever. The only thing I've ever been &quot;addicted to&quot; is air, sleep, and food. People who don't smoke can probabaly not fully appreciate just how massive a venture it is to quit something so addictive. Its been called more addictive than cocaine and heroin - not sure if thats true, but I would wager that anybody who has gone full-on into a diet after being overweight for years was probabaly on a luxury cruise compared to quiting.

What I think is a shame is that a few people on this board don't seem to mind that they smoke, and thus have little intention or desire to quit.

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
GirlFriday,

Do you feel that? That's me giving you a high five.

Russ, NCNE

Russ

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

<< What I think is a shame is that a few people on this board don't seem to mind that they smoke, and thus have little intention or desire to quit. >>

Skoorb,

Why is that a &quot;shame&quot;?

Russ, NCNE

ltk007

Banned
Feb 24, 2000

<< Why is that a &quot;shame&quot;? >>

Its a shame because some people don't realize they are likely to die of some smoking related illness long before they would die if they had not smoked. Obviously you are the exception to this, because I won't see any loss in your early death; however those people such as GF who have loving family and are wonderful human beings deserve to live long happy lives that aren't cut short by smoking.

RagingGuardian

Golden Member
Aug 22, 2000
Umm Russ it started as one of those herbal medicines for asthma (I grew up in the Caribbean), and just never stopped. Go figure...:p

Isla

Elite member
Sep 12, 2000

Russ, I have realized that I'm terribly undignified! :eek:

Of course, anyone who knows me could tell me that! :D :D :D

At least you'll get no lectures on smoking from me.

BTW... I wouldn't wish suffering/illness on anyone, not even you. ;)

Now can this thread please, please RIP????