Christian school fires pregnant woman over premarital sex

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Double Trouble

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
You mentioned my anger, and I've listed some things to be angry about.

How is it not relevant?

Those things are not relevant to this particular story. Your anger seems severely misplaced. You fail to see how your hatred and disdain for those who have some religious faith is exactly the same as religious zealotry.

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
You mean the shitbag policy of letting employers determine their requirements? Yeah, what a crazy notion.

So if it turned out that your mother worked for an employer who wanted her unborn child as a personal slave, are you telling me that you would just shrug and get on with your life of servitude?

Or, you know, do you think that giving employers carte blanche on these things is stupid?

Veliko

Diamond Member
Feb 16, 2011
Those things are not relevant to this particular story.

Are you for real?

The story is about religious employers.
You state I'm angry.
I point out reasons for anger towards religion.

Again, how is not relevant.

Your anger seems severely misplaced. You fail to see how your hatred and disdain for those who have some religious faith is exactly the same as religious zealotry.

I think you've jumped the shark on this one.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
I'm pretty sure I have a right to talk about whatever I want regardless of my flying spaghetti monster affiliation (or lack of it). ;)

You seem to be a very angry person, there must be some deep seated issues that go far beyond this particular topic.

You're wasting time, he's obviously a nutcase fanatic.

nehalem256

Lifer
Apr 13, 2012
So if it turned out that your mother worked for an employer who wanted her unborn child as a personal slave, are you telling me that you would just shrug and get on with your life of servitude?

Slavery is illegal.

Or, you know, do you think that giving employers carte blanche on these things is stupid?

No one has argued for that. We are speaking to a particular case where expecting teachers to uphold a code of morality makes sense.

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
She knew what was going to be required of her when she took the job and signed the contract. Many jobs come with all kinds of clauses that people have to agree with to maintain employment. She brokes those rules, no job. End of story...................

classy

Lifer
Oct 12, 1999
Your argument would make sense if Christians actually followed Christianity. A whole lot of them don't. The bible belt of the US has higher teen pregnancy and abortion rates than the rest of the US. The people claiming to be religious are obviously lying, so calling this woman out is total BS. She perfectly represents what religion is really about - having tons of accidental kids with a person they married after 3 months then divorced after 5 years.

All that is irrelevant, completely. She signed a contract that stipulated rules for employment. She broke those rules, it doesn't matter what the rules were.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
Any right thinking person who doesn't believe in flying spaghetti monsters.

Good lord.

Comparing a pregnancy with a crack addict.

What on earth are you smoking?

I am comparing two things in which if they are publicly displayed can have a negative impact on an employer.

Allow me to ask you a yes or no question, if a persons activities during his personal time are proven beyond a doubt to be causing that persons employer to lose significant amounts of money should that employer be forced to continue employing them? Should the employer have no recourse at all to mitigate the damages? What if the employer specifically told the employee that said activity is against policy at the time of hiring and even put it in their contract?

For the sake of the above question lets assume that the activity is perfectly legal.

I friggen despise the Catholic church too but anyone who has been in the real world for more than 5 minutes knows there are certain rules and conditions with employers. Furthermore, no employer should be forced by rule of law to employ people that tarnish the employers brand assuming the employee was well aware of the conditions when they were hired.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Shortsighted nonsense.

A shitbag policy is a shitbag policy, no matter how many employers will actually try to implement it.

With every additional policy like this that gets added, over time it gives employers more confidence that they can set whatever absurd conditions they like. Especially when economic times are hard, and people can be less choosy about who they get employed by.

You haven't casually linked anything. Hey there's a lot of crap like Obama following up with more of Bush admin policies, but they are related. Context is important.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
She should have taken them to court and claimed "immaculate conception"

She can say I haven't had sex since I was hired and the school may have to prove immaculate conception doesn't exist.

LunarRay

Diamond Member
Mar 2, 2003
She should have taken them to court and claimed "immaculate conception"

She can say I haven't had sex since I was hired and the school may have to prove immaculate conception doesn't exist.

She'd be the plaintiff it would seem and, therefore, she'd have to prove it does... The reasonable and prudent person might not be able to buy into that immaculate bit...

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
Anti-abortion advocates would say "yes".

Some would, but most would not (though they would applaud her for doing it and getting fired for it). Same with this firing - most non-religious people understand she broke her employment contract and the firing was justified...it is just the anti-religious who are opposed to it.

BoberFett

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
My mother is a professor at a private Christian college where she had to sign some kind of "morality agreement" about no drinking and other such nonsense, I made fun of her for it on a number of occasions when me and my dad would be having a beer.

Still, I fully support a private organizations right to be stupid and hire and fire whoever they want for whatever reason they want. I simply won't support it myself.

ShawnD1

Lifer
May 24, 2003
My mother is a professor at a private Christian college where she had to sign some kind of "morality agreement" about no drinking
Lovely. Jesus himself turns water into wine, so these "christians" decide to do the exact opposite and restrict access to alcohol? I wonder what their stance on the 10 commandments is. Did they reverse those too? Thou shall kill everybody. Thou shall steal from and bear false witness against thy neighbor, and then fuck his wife, then have an abortion just for the lulz.

cybrsage

Lifer
Nov 17, 2011
You mean the NINE commandments, right? Remember the Sabbath and keep it Holy does not count...