Chris Matthews retires from MSNBC over Sanders remarks

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
In a way, I'm not surprised. He really was showing his establishment bias and he apologized for his comments about Bernie a few days earlier.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'm shocked it took this long. He's been making gaffs on air for years. He's like an inappropriate uncle, except it took this long for the family to stop inviting him to dinner.
Don't get me going on some of his mannerism and tics. Some of that may be related to him having had a very bad case of Malaria when he worked for the Peace Corps.
He is still a good old FDR democrat at heart.

Reactions: Ken g6

NostaSeronx

Diamond Member
Sep 18, 2011
How will we stop THE EVIL HEATHEN COMMUNIST SANDERS and coronaravirus?! By retiring abruptly on live TV! 100% Winning POWER, strategy on-par with COSMIC BRAINS HERE!

Bitek

Lifer
Aug 2, 2001
It wasn't due to Sanders, it was all the inappropriate comments to women piling up and getting new momentum

Anyone watch him talk about Palin back in 08? Lol. Always had to throw in comments on her looks. Was practically drooling

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
Well, he also said 4 more years of Trump ain't so bad if the Democratic party stopped Sanders and it imploded the general. You can't say that kind of stuff out loud.

Reactions: blankslate

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
It wasn't due to Sanders, it was all the inappropriate comments to women piling up and getting new momentum

Anyone watch him talk about Palin back in 08? Lol. Always had to throw in comments on her looks. Was practically drooling
I remember years ago he in a creepy way hit on Erin Burnett live on the air. Although a fan of his politics I will not make excuses for him.

Note the difference between the left and the right and who maintains their principles.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheVrolok

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
No excuses. I think it's a generational thing to a certain extent. Also, I've noticed his mental lapses were becoming much more frequent in the last couple of years. I was thinking he really should retire. At least he did the right thing. You'd never see just about anybody resign in this day, and in this business until you are just about forced out.

Reactions: ivwshane

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
He should’ve spared himself the embarrassment and retired a few years ago. He seems to have that old man thing where he constantly has drool/spittle on his lower lip. I never understood why male broadcasters can stay on the air until their dead, while women are forced off the air by 50.

Feb 4, 2009
No excuses. I think it's a generational thing to a certain extent. Also, I've noticed his mental lapses were becoming much more frequent in the last couple of years. I was thinking he really should retire. At least he did the right thing. You'd never see just about anybody resign in this day, and in this business until you are just about forced out.

Agreed about the generational thing. I’m in the middle X
I can see these things both ways easily.
Matthews is thinking a little flirting is a compliment to a woman, women under 30 do not view it as a compliment.
I think the Sanders comment was the final straw.

Too bad he has been around my entire life and I find him sort of interesting.

Feb 4, 2009
He should’ve spared himself the embarrassment and retired a few years ago. He seems to have that old man thing where he constantly has drool/spittle on his lower lip. I never understood why male broadcasters can stay on the air until their dead, while women are forced off the air by 50.

Do you really need an answer to this?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
No loss. He's a rambling old buffoon at this point. He should have hung up the mic years ago. Now instead of going out in grace it's disgrace.

HomerJS

Lifer
Feb 6, 2002
Chris Jansing's kinda hot and she's 62. Still on the air
81535580a0070a77591f4ddfafbaa4d4.jpg

Last edited: