Chris Christie

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
He was the big "winner" of Sandy, if anyone can be called a "winner"

The Romney campaign is gearing up to blame him if they lose the election. However, Fox News has been only mildly critical. Murdoch sees Christie as a good Presidential candidate and apparently doesn't want to give him too much grief over his praise for Obama.

So, why did Christie make Obama out to be the second coming? Maybe he did it out of his true convictions but lets be cynical and look at the big picture.

First off, there have been reports that Christie was thisclose to being picked as Romneys running mate. And that when Romney chose Ryan instead they strung Christie along instead of informing him. And that pissed Christie off.

Secondly Christie was looking at a very difficult re-election campaign next year. Most people don't follow New Jersey politics so what has been going on might be news to them. Christie was in trouble over his proposed tax cut which he promised would only happen if the NJ economy produced enough revenue. When NJ didn't Christie violated one of his biggest promises not to borrow money from future funds to give the tax cut. New Jersey elected Christie after a bunch of scandals in NJ and NJ is still overwhelmingly Democratic.

Thirdly, Christies refusal to take Federal money for another train tunnel from NJ to NY which made him a national figure would have been a HUGE issue when Sandy hit. People would have been asking what if the current tunnel had been damaged and unsusable for some time? It would have devastated NJ's economy.

So, if Romney pulls off a surprise you can expect NJ to get screwed over the next four years. But if Obama wins NJ does ok. But most importantly Christies "bipartisanship" and perceived effective response to the hurricane means he not only stands a chance next year, but will probably win re-election. As long as fat boy doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

her209

No Lifer
Oct 11, 2000
So, if Romney pulls off a surprise you can expect NJ to get screwed over the next four years. But if Obama wins NJ does ok. But most importantly Christies "bipartisanship" and perceived effective response to the hurricane means he not only stands a chance next year, but will probably win re-election. As long as fat boy doesn't put his foot in his mouth.

And what better way to ensure your chances of a 2016 Presidential nomination than causing the current nominee to lose a week before the election?

Jadow

Diamond Member
Feb 12, 2003
He was spurned by Romney as VP, and getting revenge. simple as that.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
Christie showed himself to be an able politician by being willing to suck a little Obama dick to get the big Obama disaster dollars. Yes, there will be a few Republicans that grouse about him and label him a traitor, but by and large most people will see it as an act he performed to get his constituents the timely help and assistance they need.

Feb 4, 2009
I'd bet Christie can't stand Romney. Look how each of them talk. Romney is slow and planned speech, Christie is loud and passionate

EagleKeeper

Discussion Club Moderator<br>Elite Member
Staff member
Oct 30, 2000
So does Techs think that ideology dictating actions for a governor is better than taking care of the people that elected him?

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
Christie showed himself to be an able politician by being willing to suck a little Obama dick to get the big Obama disaster dollars. Yes, there will be a few Republicans that grouse about him and label him a traitor, but by and large most people will see it as an act he performed to get his constituents the timely help and assistance they need.

Republicans, saving the world one down low BJ at a time. :thumbsup:

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004

He would have gotten the money without so heavily publicizing it. Most people are going to see it as him making an early play for independents to set himself for 2016 as he's obviously been setting himself up for it with everything else he's done this year. He'll be able to make an actual case of being bipartisan vs Romney's laughably phony attempt.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
He would have gotten the money without so heavily publicizing it. Most people are going to see it as him making an early play for independents to set himself for 2016 as he's obviously been setting himself up for it with everything else he's done this year. He'll be able to make an actual case of being bipartisan vs Romney's laughably phony attempt.

I agree.
I think the Republicans are pissed because if Christie had come out slamming FEMA and Obama they believe it would have won them the election.

Moonbeam

Elite Member
Nov 24, 1999
I know nothing. I am not a mind reader and I have discovered that what people see in others are what they see in themselves, but that others laugh at folk who say what they see. This is why I would never announce out loud to other people that Christy did what he did out of pure selflessness and honesty, that he spoke straight from his heart in a moment of great emotional clarity and need, that his concern for his fellow citizens obliterated his personal ambitions, that the One True God that is Within, shown through all that adipose tissue revealing a truly large man. Nope, you'll never catch me saying anything like this because we all know what happens when you cast pearls before swine.

So I go back to my original conclusion that why Christy did as he did is not knows by you or by me. ;)

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
I know nothing. I am not a mind reader and I have discovered that what people see in others are what they see in themselves, but that others laugh at folk who say what they see. This is why I would never announce out loud to other people that Christy did what he did out of pure selflessness and honesty, that he spoke straight from his heart in a moment of great emotional clarity and need, that his concern for his fellow citizens obliterated his personal ambitions, that the One True God that is Within, shown through all that adipose tissue revealing a truly large man. Nope, you'll never catch me saying anything like this because we all know what happens when you cast pearls before swine.

So I go back to my original conclusion that why Christy did as he did is not knows by you or by me. ;)

Best post I have read in this forum.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008

I don't think he would have, it's not as if this administration is famous for following the rules or their ethics. It's a Chicago based administration and quid pro quo rules in Chicago.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
So, if Romney pulls off a surprise you can expect NJ to get screwed over the next four years. But if Obama wins NJ does ok.

I just want to highlight what a statement you've made. That the fortune of a State depends on the good will of the President.

A MAJOR point of liberty is that you do not feast or famine based on who you know in government. On who you serve in government. Because people should not fear their government. Government should fear and serve the people and our system today has moved very far from that. It keeps moving further away.

We have broken the promise of America, of our founding fathers, to be secure in our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. If what you said is at all, in any way, true. Guess what? Both Republicans and Democrats are working to not only keep us there, but to make it worse for us. More government, more centralization, more taxes funneled into a collection of corrupt people who then abuse that power.

Partisans just want to make sure it's their guy in charge to bludgeon opponents with. They are not questioning why there's a club in the first place, and don't tell me your party doesn't use it. They do.

When Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on dinner, that's essentially no better than ancient tribalism.

Apr 27, 2012
I just want to highlight what a statement you've made. That the fortune of a State depends on the good will of the President.

A MAJOR point of liberty is that you do not feast or famine based on who you know in government. On who you serve in government. Because people should not fear their government. Government should fear and serve the people and our system today has moved very far from that. It keeps moving further away.

We have broken the promise of America, of our founding fathers, to be secure in our life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness. If what you said is at all, in any way, true. Guess what? Both Republicans and Democrats are working to not only keep us there, but to make it worse for us. More government, more centralization, more taxes funneled into a collection of corrupt people who then abuse that power.

Partisans just want to make sure it's their guy in charge to bludgeon opponents with. They are not questioning why there's a club in the first place, and don't tell me your party doesn't use it. They do.

When Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on dinner, that's essentially no better than ancient tribalism.

I agree with you, Both parties are corrupt but too many partisan hacks deny this

obama and romney both backed up by goldman sachs
obama and romney both answer to aipac
obama and romney both serve the MIC

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Christie might make an ok President if he weren't Republican and didn't look like he was about to die of a heart attack any minute now.

AyashiKaibutsu

Diamond Member
Jan 24, 2004
I don't think he would have, it's not as if this administration is famous for following the rules or their ethics. It's a Chicago based administration and quid pro quo rules in Chicago.

How this administration handled a terrible hurricane (from a building damage perspective at least) was a major way for him to delineate himself from Bush. I really doubt he would risk his current campaign to be a dick to NJ.

monovillage

Diamond Member
Jul 3, 2008
How this administration handled a terrible hurricane (from a building damage perspective at least) was a major way for him to delineate himself from Bush. I really doubt he would risk his current campaign to be a dick to NJ.

Have you been reading the stories coming out of N.Y. ? Obama didn't handle shit, he did a little PR trip/ photo op with Christie and he's back on the party/campaign trail. They're still pulling bodies out from this disaster, but wasn't Michelle's dress pretty?

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics/2012/11/obama-closes-out-campaign-with-star-studded-blitz/

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005

Maybe he genuinely appreciated the response to their problems and just didn't feel the need to lie...maybe.

Just because he doesn't agree with Obama's politics doesn't mean he can't like anything he ever does.

Chris A

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
Maybe he genuinely appreciated the response to their problems and just didn't feel the need to lie...maybe.

Just because he doesn't agree with Obama's politics doesn't mean he can't like anything he ever does.

Nailed it.