Chiped PCB layer while Deliding on I7-4790K

Michal Malicki

Dec 17, 2017
Hi Guys
I have a big bug issue with my CPU.
A while ago I did delid it but while I was cutting out IHS unfortunately I did chip some PCB with circuts out. I did not think that it might be so important for it.
CPU is working great with 1.25V Core and speed set to 4.6GHz. No problems at all. Hmmm, seriousely? No.
One big problem I did see after.
My GPU dont want to work with x16@3.0 speed and working max x8@3.0 in PXIE16_1 slot. In PCIE16_2 dont work at all (constant x1 speed) PCIE1_2 shous IN_USE all the time while its empty.
My question is: Can it be fixed? I mean Solder or anything similar? If so, is it worth or just leave it as it is and wait till its die by itself? Im not using SLI at all.
What do you think?

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lZxbSAieBhb77nEx2

Some picture of it

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Nothing you can do to fix that physical CPU damage. Use it until it dies or starts giving you odd errors and crashes, or replace it.

You just learned what can go wrong when delidding a CPU.

Reactions: CatMerc

Michal Malicki

Dec 17, 2017
Everybody does mistakes.
I did brake my CPU and now I Know what can go wrong and I will know for the future. Luckily it was my own CPU not somebodys else.

Did you not do anything wrong in your whole life?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Everybody does mistakes.
I did brake my CPU and now I Know what can go wrong and I will know for the future. Luckily it was my own CPU not somebodys else.

Did you not do anything wrong in your whole life?

No need to get overly defensive. It was just another suggestion on how to not damage an expensive CPU.

Things can still go wrong with a delidding tool.

Reactions: CatMerc

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Its ok. I knew that you were only joking :) weren’t you?

Hence the ";)"

I know some people on here like doing adventurous stuff with their computer, so it's their money and their choices. I'm not here to tell people what to do, I just like giving the pros and cons of the choice. Me personally? I would never delid a CPU. But that's because I'm too much of a cheapskate to replace it if the project went bad. In fact, I probably would cry if it happened to me. :)

Michal Malicki

Dec 17, 2017
I bet you would.
My PC is my baby
I do care about it but sometimes things go wrong and I need to take all them consequences on my chest and carry on with it. I admit that I did that completely wrong way. I was not prepared properly.
But its just me.
I got an idea and I need to do it ASAP. And sometimes I’m doing such stupid things like I did this time. But we are only humans and we are mostely doing this way :)
My baby is bleeding at the moment but shortly it will have new “brain as well as New neck” cus new “brain” does not fit to old neck :)

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I can't give you too much of a hard time. Bad stuff happens whether we want to deal with it or not.

At least your PC didn't end up dead from a cat peeing on it because it was mad at you for leaving it alone for too long.

And yes, the cat pee killing the PC story is a true one from a user on here. :D

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I know some people on here like doing adventurous stuff with their computer, so it's their money and their choices. I'm not here to tell people what to do, I just like giving the pros and cons of the choice. Me personally? I would never delid a CPU. But that's because I'm too much of a cheapskate to replace it if the project went bad. In fact, I probably would cry if it happened to me. :)
I mostly feel the same way, except, I might delid a Skylake Celeron, just to see how high it would BCLK OC. What's that, like $40 if you screw it up. Not like a 6700K at $350 or so.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I mostly feel the same way, except, I might delid a Skylake Celeron, just to see how high it would BCLK OC.

See, I would try it out on a lower cost, or older CPU. But I just couldn't bring myself to try it on one over $100. I'm just too chicken, and I usually screw something up the first time I try to do it.

Heck, several people here do it on CPUs over $500, and I couldn't imagine how nervous I would be doing that.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
See, I would try it out on a lower cost, or older CPU. But I just couldn't bring myself to try it on one over $100. I'm just too chicken, and I usually screw something up the first time I try to do it.

Heck, several people here do it on CPUs over $500, and I couldn't imagine how nervous I would be doing that.

Honestly I wouldn't try it just because there isn't value in it. This isn't taking a 300a to 450. This isn't taking a socket A Athlon 700 to 1GHz. There are just sooooo little return on the extra couple 100MHz today that any relative danger just plain isn't worth the risk.

Reactions: UsandThem

DrMrLordX

Lifer
Apr 27, 2000
I would do it to keep operating temperatures lower and maintain a desired OC for longer. Chips that run hot lose their OC quicker, I find.

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Honestly I wouldn't try it just because there isn't value in it. This isn't taking a 300a to 450. This isn't taking a socket A Athlon 700 to 1GHz. There are just sooooo little return on the extra couple 100MHz today that any relative danger just plain isn't worth the risk.

I'm with you. I used to chase the "PC dragon" back in my younger days where the difference was a game being playable vs stuttering.

Now it's not so much about that, but for bragging rights, or maybe just a sense of accomplishment on getting that extra bit of performance. I guess if I was younger and single again, I would probably still try to do that sort of thing. I used to upgrade my system at least once a year (usually more than that), and I rarely kept a GPU for more than 1 year. At this point of my life, I just enjoy a fast and stable system, and I generally take what I get out of the box.

Topweasel

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2000
I'm with you. I used to chase the "PC dragon" back in my younger days where the difference was a game being playable vs stuttering.

Now it's not so much about that, but for bragging rights, or maybe just a sense of accomplishment on getting that extra bit of performance. I guess if I was younger and single again, I would probably still try to do that sort of thing. I used to upgrade my system at least once a year (usually more than that), and I rarely kept a GPU for more than 1 year. At this point of my life, I just enjoy a fast and stable system, and I generally take what I get out of the box.

Yeah personally trying bug fix a blue screen issue month after month was annoying as all hell. But honestly the race to have the best numbers really has taken the fun out of overclocking as well because the goal has shifted so much.

Overclocking my Geforce DDR and my Athlon 700 overclocked to 950 was important. There were a lot of games that I had run at 1024x768 just to play the game even though I had a 1600x1200 monitor. I never ran an antivirus program growing up because I knew it ate too much clock cycles. Every ounce of performance meant something was more useable and more playable. Some time around my Phenom X4 and 4870 that changed.

Within a couple of years it wasn't about making something playable. It wasn't about getting bearable performance. Windows became more stable. More cores meant more responsiveness. CPU's stopped having a tangible effect on gameplay. Video cards weren't about getting the latest and greatest playable. Now it's split. The $150-$250 video cards are capable of playing all games at 4k. Now the choice in card or CPU is based on two different and competing values of stupidity. Back in the day if turning a setting down a notch or two meant something was playable you did it. Now the card is useless at a resolution unless it can play 4k ultra a sliding frame rate that is up for debate. Even if Ultra has so little difference from Very High that people can't actually tell the difference even though there is like a 50% drop in performance. Or its about disabling everything just to get frame rate up. Even if they long passed a responsiveness that makes a difference. So it's about having the fastest CPU for games even though it doesn't matter or the best video card no matter the cost even though you are spending so much to get soooo little back.

Nah now I am happy to get a CPU and Video card that allow me to play my games comfortably with nary a worry about whether I can boot into Windows today. I have a 8 core CPU and a capable video card that can handle 4k at pretty high settings without issue for less than most people spent on a video card alone. Hell my CPU is still running at stock even though it might have some pretty strong legs in it because I like it being cooler, using less power, and chances are last longer.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

Michal Malicki

Dec 17, 2017
Last Sunday night I did take it out from MB to have a look how much damage I did to the PCB. But when I did that I had to put new Liquid Metal onto die cus last time when I was doind that I did not give silicone based glue between pcb and IHS. When I was cleaning die from all deposits left unfortunately 2 CAPS fell out from Haswell’s FIVR :(
I thought. Damn it. Cou is gone. I was tryin to solder them back and to be honest with you. On certain moments I had enough. You need to be a magiciac to solder 1.8mm x 0.8mm x 0.5mm size cap onto pcb with soldering iron which got 2mm soldering tip. It was a nightmare. But Finally I did it.
When it came to the end with thit i thought.
Moment of truth. Will the MB start or not?
AND IT STARTED!!!!
OS boot normally and everythink seems to be fine. Well. There is one issue but I can live with that.
My CPU dont have all 16PCI Lanes at the moment but its ok for me cus Im mot using SLI so between x16@3.0 and x8@3.0 there is no much differ in fps while gaming :)

My CPU is OCd to 4.6GHz and in idle got less than 26deg. At OCCT Stress test with large data packets max 73deg on one core. Package got 70deg MAX

https://photos.app.goo.gl/hhw6cnC2fxLbQ04A2