Chinese in the workplace

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

alphatarget1

Diamond Member
Dec 9, 2001
nee ga.. hmm is that mandarin or cantonese? cantonese would sound like "lee gor" for "this" instead.

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: SexxxyTech
... but i want to know, what does Nee-Ga mean. I dont think they are trying to disrespect blacks, but I hear it everyday. What does it mean. Shay-Shay, did i spell that right?
Pinyin is the official romanization system of the People?s Republic of China. You'll find some info here.

I started getting interested in Mandarin years ago, when I had friends who ran a Chinese restaurant in the same complex where I worked, and, like you, I figured out my own phonetic spelling long before I knew Pinyin existed.

Ni hao = Hello
Xia xia = Thank you (sounds like your shay shay)
Xia xia ni = Thank you very much
hao = good
Heng hao = very good
Bu hao = bad (actually not good. Bu = not)
Zaijian = See you later (pronounced sort of like Tsai chen).

I don't know all the Pinyin for the most important thing I know how to say in Mandarin:

Bu yao wei xing (pronounced Bu yow way jing) = Don't use MSG. :Q

There's lots more, and if you get any good at it, you're almost guaranteed great food and service in a Chinese restaurant. :D

Ernieb

Jan 13, 2002
Originally posted by: Harvey
Originally posted by: SexxxyTech
... but i want to know, what does Nee-Ga mean. I dont think they are trying to disrespect blacks, but I hear it everyday. What does it mean. Shay-Shay, did i spell that right?
Pinyin is the official romanization system of the People?s Republic of China. You'll find some info here.

I started getting interested in Mandarin years ago, when I had friends who ran a Chinese restaurant in the same complex where I worked, and, like you, I figured out my own phonetic spelling long before I knew Pinyin existed.

Ni hao = Hello
hao = good
Heng hao = very good
Bu hao = bad (actually not good. Bu = not)
Zaijian = See you later (pronounced sort of like Tsai chen).

I don't know all the Pinyin for the most important thing I know how to say in Mandarin:

Bu yao wei xing (pronounced Bu yow way jing) = Don't use MSG. :Q

There's lots more, and if you get any good at it, you're almost guaranteed great food and service in a Chinese restaurant. :D

got to be in a restaurant that the stuff who can speak mandarin though

Harvey

Administrator<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Ernieb
got to be in a restaurant that the stuff who can speak mandarin though
Yeah, but OTOH, Cantonese food tends to be pretty bland for my tastes unless they have cooks who can prepare a menu with a broader scope. :cool:

dfi

Golden Member
Apr 20, 2001
Just to confirm what others have said. From what you've spelled, it sounds like either "it's yours" or "that".

dfi

wiredspider

Diamond Member
Jun 3, 2001
What about those indian people? Our company hires them as contractors to test stuff, whenever I'm there on a tech job they are speaking indian.

cchen

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: blackdogdeek
i don't think so. nee-how or nee-how-ma are the hello/how are you greetings. but those only happen at the beginning of conversations.

i really think what they're saying is derogatory. think about what the word sounds like in english.

you are an idiot.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
i always hear my roommate say it when he's talking to his parents...in mandarin..he tells me it means "this"

yhelothar

Lifer
Dec 11, 2002
this?
i'm mandarin..
this = zuhh
nee or more pronounced like nuhh = that
nuhh guhh, i'm guessing that is what you're hearing.. means "that one"
nee means "you"
ga.. can't think of a word that's ga..

actually it's like this..
xia xia = thanks
xia xia ni = thank you

OulOat

Diamond Member
Aug 8, 2002
Originally posted by: DanTMWTMP
i always hear my roommate say it when he's talking to his parents...in mandarin..he tells me it means "this"

He lied :)

nativesunshine

Diamond Member
Jan 6, 2003
Originally posted by: Radiohead
Ne ga paygu hung da! :p

Hah! I remember when my ex-bf taught me how to say "i have a big butt" in cantonese. So funny..took me hours to learn a simple phrase.