China's air is too polluted for olympics ?

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I heard reports of china having polluted air, about global warming, etc.
But I didn't know it was this bad !

http://ukpress.google.com/arti...A7GMVZDN_2R350dsICRDcQ
China is having to close one in 10 petrol stations in the capital Beijing to deal with air pollution fears ahead of this summer's Olympics.

More than 150 will be shut by the end of May because it would cost too much fit them with special nozzles to return petrol fumes to the underground storage tanks rather than allow them to disperse into the air.

Concerns over hot, polluted air in Beijing during the August games have seen national Olympic committees scrambling for ways to protect their athletes, especially those competing in outdoor endurance events.

Ground-level dust, soot and industrial emissions mixed with car exhaust creates a grey haze that regularly blankets the city of 17 million, while high humidity and a lack of wind in August pose an additional challenge.

Beijing has begun shutting down blast furnaces in the city's biggest steel company to improve air quality, and plans to suspend work on city building sites from May onward.

Temporary traffic restrictions are being planned to ease traffic and reduce vehicle exhaust, and thousands, possibly millions, of temporary residents will be given holidays to return home to further reduce congestion.

But with the effectiveness of such measures yet to be proven, International Olympic Committee president Jacques Rogge has warned that some events could be postponed if air pollution presents a danger.

Haile Gebrselassie, recognised as the world's greatest distance runner and holder of the world marathon record, said he might skip the Olympic marathon altogether in Beijing and opt for the shorter 10,000m.

The British Olympic Association said on Thursday it was considering supplying its athletes with masks at the Olympics to counter pollution.

Other associations are reportedly also considering such steps, and most have advised their athletes to arrive in Beijing as late as possible and leave as soon as they can.

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
My friend went to Beijing a few years back for a summer thing, he said he didnt see the sun the entire time he was there.

OdiN

Banned
Mar 1, 2000
Yeah China/Taiwan is bad bad air quality. They don't have anything like EPA or environmental regulations like we do - I suppose they have some but nowhere near as strict. Why do you think stuff is cheaper for us to have produced over there?

Aharami

Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: OulOat
Originally posted by: Flammable
you cant see the blue sky

ever unless you;re out in the country

The sky is brown everywhere except when viewing from a mountain top

wow. thats's bad. It's not even that bad in Calcutta - the dirtiest city in India.

But the Chinese govt. is bending over backward for the Olympics!

SSSnail

Lifer
Nov 29, 2006
I was there a few months ago in Beijing, and from the 20th floor of a hotel, you thought there's a haze covering the ground. It even look hazy from parts of the Great Wall, and that's faarrrr away from Beijing. The first thing I said to my colleagues is that they're crazy to host the Olympic here because half the athletes will die after competing.

BrownTown

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2005
This is one of those things where people equate all things of one technology together then they really shouldn't be. People in the USA think coal plants are the devil, but what they don't understand is that coal plants in the USA actually have HUGE amounts of pollution controls reducing most of the harmful pollutants by 95%, whereas in China even the most basic of pollution controls are not standard meaning that a coal plant in China is FAR FAR worse for the environment than in the USA. Not trying to say USA coal pants are great or anything just that there really has been alot of improvements since the Clean Air act which make them far better than they were 30 years ago, and far better than in developing countries like China.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002
chinas a took f*cked up country for the olympics period.

genocide olympics pretty much sums it up. never mind the pollution

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: 0roo0roo

Nice thinly veiled racism.

This is why I don't venture into P&N. I enjoy discussing those subjects but not when there are so many bigots in denial.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Get used to it. The wackos who cry "free trade" and "competition" won't be happy until we are just like China.

In P&N I posted how Olympic teams can't serve the meat found in China because it has so much steroids it would cause the athletes to test positive. The US team is importing it from Tyson foods in the US.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: OdiN
Yeah China/Taiwan is bad bad air quality. They don't have anything like EPA or environmental regulations like we do - I suppose they have some but nowhere near as strict. Why do you think stuff is cheaper for us to have produced over there?

They are *JUST* possibly maybe going to be promoted to the role of ministry. Basically all of the ministries that control well, everything, out rank their version of the EPA right now.

Originally posted by: Aharami
Originally posted by: OulOat
you cant see the blue sky

ever unless you;re out in the country

The sky is brown everywhere except when viewing from a mountain top

wow. thats's bad. It's not even that bad in Calcutta - the dirtiest city in India.

But the Chinese govt. is bending over backward for the Olympics!

they still have gas and are still farting on our penis...try as they might...

uhohs

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2005
Originally posted by: mwmorph

This is why I don't venture into P&N. I enjoy discussing those subjects but not when there are so many bigots in denial.

how does 0roo0roo's comment equate to racism?
and if i remember correctly, he's chinese or taiwanese i think.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: techs
Get used to it. The wackos who cry "free trade" and "competition" won't be happy until we are just like China.

It's the same with any group with zealous interests, everyone talks about wanting "equality", but only if that means they're more equal, or better off than others.

It's pretty much how the Nazis came into being.
There was an observed discrepancy, they got pissed off at a situation, wanted to be equal and got caught up in it until they ended up on top.

We have a term for this in Social Psychology, it's called the "Social Identity Theory" (Tajfel and Turner). In 1970, Tajfel did a study with British teenagers and showed that people will always favor their group over another no matter how arbitrary or meaningless a group is (n this case, it was based on whether they overestimated or underestimated when counting flashing dots).

In society, most of us have learned to go past this egocentric behavior. (once young childhood passes, most people in western civilization move away from egocentric thought in varying degrees) Apparently, all of those that failed to adhere to the usual psychological models congregated on the internet.

Example: See the decline of western civilization by reading youtube comments or P&N.

Originally posted by: uhohs

how does 0roo0roo's comment equate to racism?
and if i remember correctly, he's chinese or taiwanese i think.

Taiwanese and Chinese identifying people are vastly different in there views and usually, Taiwanese pro independents have a lot of animosity against the mainland Chinese for winning the Civil War in 1949 and booting the KMT to Formosa.

Generalized sweeping FUD(unsourced and unsupported btw) about genocide and implying the People's Republic of China is some fucked up s**thole is not only an attack against the government like a lot of people that say it would like you to believe, but when you call out a political entity composed of citizens, you insult the people too.

If I was to say Ethopia is just some shithole fucked up cannibalistic cotton growing country(untrue btw), I'd be committing an act of hate, with a message directed at the Ethiopian citizenry.

The same applies here.

Praxis1452

Platinum Member
Jan 31, 2006

In P&N I posted how Olympic teams can't serve the meat found in China because it has so much steroids it would cause the athletes to test positive. The US team is importing it from Tyson foods in the US.

To your first part, free trade and competition does not mean that companies can pollute wherever they like. If you live next to the plant, why should you have to have your property polluted by their waste? Property rights are important in forcing companies to maintain a clean and safe enviroment.

edit: In fact it's the idea of communism that allows for this pollution. The government does things "for the greater good" thereby ignoring the negative side effects. People living next to these plants and polluted areas would probably do something if they could.

Stop with your bullshit.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

There was an observed discrepancy, they got pissed off at a situation, wanted to be equal and got caught up in it until they ended up on top.

We have a term for this in Social Psychology, it's called the "Social Identity Theory" (Tajfel and Turner). In 1970, Tajfel did a study with British teenagers and showed that people will always favor their group over another no matter how arbitrary or meaningless a group is (n this case, it was based on whether they overestimated or underestimated when counting flashing dots).

In society, most of us have learned to go past this egocentric behavior. (once young childhood passes, most people in western civilization move away from egocentric thought in varying degrees) Apparently, all of those that failed to adhere to the usual psychological models congregated on the internet.

Example: See the decline of western civilization by reading youtube comments or P&N.

-10,000 points for being unable to make a point without using the worn-out Nazi reference. You must be young.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

-10,000 points for being unable to make a point without using the worn-out Nazi reference. You must be young.

Or that the example is effective and fits.

But hey, thanks for the personal attacks and lack of any real contribution to this discussion.

91TTZ

Lifer
Jan 31, 2005

But hey, thanks for the personal attacks and lack of any real contribution to this discussion.

Every internet kiddie seems to think that a Nazi reference is effective and fits. It's so played out that it's totally ineffective and cliched.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: 91TTZ

Every internet kiddie seems to think that a Nazi reference is effective and fits. It's so played out that it's totally ineffective and cliched.

Thank you for your opinion, now onto more productive discussion,

Originally posted by: Praxis1452

To your first part, free trade and competition does not mean that companies can pollute wherever they like. If you live next to the plant, why should you have to have your property polluted by their waste? Property rights are important in forcing companies to maintain a clean and safe enviroment.

edit: In fact it's the idea of communism that allows for this pollution. The government does things "for the greater good" thereby ignoring the negative side effects. People living next to these plants and polluted areas would probably do something if they could.

Stop with your bullshit.

Would you like to back that up?

I'm amazed at this whole "communist" buzzword thrown around all the time.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism
Communism is a socioeconomic structure that promotes the establishment of a classless, stateless society based on common ownership of the means of production.
:

China has a currency based on the gold possibly(probably imho) pegged to the US dollar depending on whom you ask, china has property ownership and taxes and private businesses. It's been that way since oh about... 10,000B.C., except for one period of a few years during Mao's Great Leap Forward.

As for environmental issues, China has advanced more in 30 years than he first 200 or so years of the European Industrial revolution.

Take a young government, no experience in what an advanced, modern economy is like, a large population and create on a unprecedented scale and speed an industrial base rivaling anything else the world has to offer and see how it turned out.

Western civilization had a gentler progress curve and the benefit of experience. Sure France or Britain or America looks good now, but go back to the beginning of their respective industrial revolutions and you will see many of the same things then as you see in china now. Time will work things out for the better eventually.

I don't believe you can blame china, It's early in it's cycle and things tend to get much better as time progresses, it's doing well considering how much more quickly it's developed when compared to say America of the early 1900s, when we were undergoing our very own economic revolution.

History tends to repeat itself.

It's easier to see when you no longer compare China to America circa 2008 but rather civilizations in it's category of development.

Politically, 50-60 years after our revolution we still had slavery, had quite a few massacres of native Americans and government dissenters. Hell in WWII we sent a bunch of Japanese and possibly Japanese to basically detainment camps by executive order.In 1970 we shot up students at Kent State for protesting the Vietnam War's expansion into Cambodia.

Give it time, countries and governments need time to grow and mature, learn from experience.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Praxis1452

Stop with your bullshit.

China is Commie in name only. The reason companies can pollute and harm the people is because China is a dictatorship and its people slaves. It is impossible to compete economically with slaves when the dictatorship can lower prices by trading peoples lives.
And when in a free society people scream how must compete with China they are almost as bad as the Chinese dictators.