China demolishes mosque for not supporting Olympics

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Group says China demolishes mosque for not supporting Olympics

BEIJING (Reuters) - Chinese authorities in the restive far western region of Xinjiang have demolished a mosque for refusing to put up signs in support of this August's Beijing Olympics, an exiled group said on Monday.

The mosque was in Kalpin county near Aksu city in Xinjiang's rugged southwest, the World Uyghur Congress said.

The spokesman's office of the Xinjiang government said it had no immediate comment, while telephone calls to the county government went answered.

"China is forcing mosques in East Turkistan to publicise the Beijing Olympics to get the Uighur people to support the Games (but) this has been resisted by the Uighurs," World Uyghur Congress spokesman Dilxat Raxit said in an emailed statement.

Beijing says al Qaeda is working with militants in Xinjiang to use terror to establish an independent state called East Turkistan.

Oil-rich Xinjiang is home to 8 million Turkic-speaking Uighurs, many of whom resent the growing economic and cultural influence of the Han Chinese.

Dilxat Raxit added that the mosque, which had been renovated in 1998, was accused of illegally renovating the structure, carrying out illegal religious activities and illegally storing copies of the Muslim holy book the Koran.

"All the Korans in the mosque have been seized by the government and dozens of people detained," he said. "The detained Uighurs have been tortured."

The Olympic torch relay passed through Xinjiang last week under tight security, with all but carefully vetted residents banned from watching on the streets and tight controls over foreign media covering the event.

I like the instinctive defence Beijing leaps to: They're working with Al-Qaeda! Haven't heard that one before. :p

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
This ought to be interesting. Will the islamic fundies hit China? Then how hard will China hit back?

Aimster

Lifer
Jan 5, 2003
"All the Korans in the mosque have been seized by the government and dozens of people detained," he said.

China is funny

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005
No, they won't hit China.

There's only room for one "great satan" in the world and we locked that up a while ago.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Originally posted by: Genx87
This ought to be interesting. Will the islamic fundies hit China? Then how hard will China hit back?

Hopefully a lot harder than we ever have.

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
China has been wiping out Muslims for ages, domestically. I'm too lazy to find the links, but there's nothing surprising anyway. Chinese Muslims have little to nothing to do with the Persian, Arab, and African Muslim community for the most part, and I would assume that they are looked on as infidels to groups like AQ/etc.

Socio

Golden Member
May 19, 2002

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Sickening...really. This is horrible and a true secular state would not do that at all. Now a TOTALITARIAN state would very much act like this; a state that tries to control the actions and thoughts of its people would try to do this. Of course China knows that money is king and we'll put everything aside for money. the article, if we are to take it as s, didn't say they engaged in methods to actively resist the olympics. They simply chose not to put on a banner.

Anyone who cheers for this is really a sick human being.

Before we think about the terrorists and if they will "terrarize" China, we should think about China terrorizing its own population. Are they in the right for what they did? Are they wrong? Do you think any proportional response, by any group, is acceptable? If anything flares up, whose fault is it?

Originally posted by: Jaskalas

Hopefully a lot harder than we ever have.

Do you agree with these actions of China? You realize it is China's heavy handed actions in Xin Jiang that has actually led to a religious revival among the population.

Originally posted by: Arkaign
China has been wiping out Muslims for ages, domestically. I'm too lazy to find the links, but there's nothing surprising anyway. Chinese Muslims have little to nothing to do with the Persian, Arab, and African Muslim community for the most part, and I would assume that they are looked on as infidels to groups like AQ/etc.

Not really. Like any relationship between different groups of people there are ups and downs. Tang and Song periods experienced some great times for Muslims. The Qing empire brought mixed messages - Qing tried to preserve all sorts of ethnic and religious minorities because of their own status as one, but at the same time pitted them against each other in a game of divide and conquer and Muslims were targeted very heavily. Even modern Chinese history is a mixed message: the same atheist party that helped destroy not just mosques, but churches and other religious features and marks on the landscape has a star on their flag for Chinese Muslims (although Chinese in this instance as being Han and not Turks) and even relied on them to help people to come to power.
So one can't say its always been good for them or always been bad for them

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Han Chinese don't mess around. The last time Muslims in Xinxiang tried to become independent in the 1930s they killed whole villages of them. There has never been a major terrorist attack in China. Pakistani muslims will not dare to cross into China like they do India for attacks. Jihadists know reprisals will be swift and merciless.

One problem big though is China may become Christian and weak and learn to forget about the massacre of 600,000 ethnic Chinese by Muslim Indonesians. Become like the West and ignore history of Islamic aggression against all non-Muslims, wherever Islam triumphed, all in the name of understanding and trying to be Christ like.

Go China stay true to yourselves and don't adopt any sand mystics religion.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Zebo
Han Chinese don't mess around. The last time Muslims in Xinxiang tried to become independent in the 1930s they killed whole villages of them. There has never been a major terrorist attack in China. Pakistani muslims will not dare to cross into China like they do India for attacks. Jihadists know reprisals will be swift and merciless.

One problem big though is China may become Christian and weak and learn to forget about the massacre of 600,000 ethnic Chinese by Muslim Indonesians. Become like the West and ignore history of Islamic aggression against all non-Muslims, wherever Islam triumphed, all in the name of understanding and trying to be Christ like.

Yes, please torture, kill and imprison those who practice religion. Stay true to your murderous nature.

Zebo

Elite Member
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

Yes, please torture, kill and imprison those who practice religion. Stay true to your murderous nature.

You have it the other way around it's the religions their atmospherics and ideologies that do all the killing. The Chinese understand this and squelch it early on.

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
Originally posted by: Hayabusa Rider

You have it the other way around it's the religions their atmospherics and ideologies that do all the killing. The Chinese understand this and squelch it early on.

I understand the Chinese very well. I knew a family who suffered through one of the Purges . Bush is a saint by comparison, and I think people know how I feel about him.

RichardE

Banned
Dec 31, 2005
They won't hit China for the same reason terrorists never really hit USSR twice. China will kill the terrorists, and there families and charge them for the act. The US red tape makes it weak in comparison to the no holds bared of Russia/China intelligence services. (Theres actually a book I read that explains this in detail I enjoyed, if I can find it again I'll post it)

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001

Maybe it's time we learned something from China! Actually, Gen Pershing did something to this effect when he was in-charge of the Philippine War against the Muslims in the South although it's not at the same degree.

For those who have skewed vision who thinks U.S. Morality is absolute and the only one in this world, wake up and smell fresh brew coffee from China! It may be a little bitter but it's good for your health.

miketheidiot

Lifer
Sep 3, 2004
Originally posted by: Jiggz

Maybe it's time we learned something from China! Actually, Gen Pershing did something to this effect when he was in-charge of the Philippine War against the Muslims in the South although it's not at the same degree.

For those who have skewed vision who thinks U.S. Morality is absolute and the only one in this world, wake up and smell fresh brew coffee from China! It may be a little bitter but it's good for your health.

thats a myth

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002

Wow you are pretty twisted and convoluted with however you understand things. First and foremost, Christianity AND Islam have a very long history in China that date back thousand of years. The "Christianization" of China makes little sense the way you describe it as if these ideas have not already long existed.

You cheer China at the very end for these actions (I can't tell if its for these actions specifically, or for attacking Uighirs in general, or just for attacking Muslims in general. Either way its interesting there is no condemnation of something like this in your posts and is definitely worth noting) which itself are barbaric and terrorist actions.

Its amazing how so many here act and cheer China as if we in the US should adopt such actions. If you can pull your bigoted minds away from the fact that a Mosque was destroyed, then you'll find that China destroyed a religious building for refusing to put up a sign cheering on the Olympics. Think about that for a minute and tell me if you want that kind of dangerous ideology to be put forward and implemented in the US.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Wow I hate to defend China, and I couldn't give two shits about the Olympics I won't be watching any of them...

But hmmm.. You know.. I wonder if there just might be a little bit more to this than the sensationalist article says. Just a hunch.

"an exiled group said on Monday."

Not defending China's actions here but saying lets not jump to any conclusions based on the words of one group who obviously has a bias.

Kadarin

Lifer
Nov 23, 2001
Hmm... On one hand, I dislike the authoritarian nature of the Chinese government (and what it's doing to Tibet), and on the other I have a pretty strong dislike for expansionist and fundamentalist Islamic culture. So I'm not really sure what to think here.

Taejin

Moderator<br>Love & Relationships
Aug 29, 2004

It'll probably be far more difficult for islamic fundies to hit China than the USA.

extra

Golden Member
Dec 18, 1999
Originally posted by: Taejin

It'll probably be far more difficult for islamic fundies to hit China than the USA.

Huh? I very much doubt that. What makes you think that? Geographically I think it would be easier for them to hit China.

magomago

Lifer
Sep 28, 2002
Originally posted by: Kadarin
Hmm... On one hand, I dislike the authoritarian nature of the Chinese government (and what it's doing to Tibet), and on the other I have a pretty strong dislike for expansionist and fundamentalist Islamic culture. So I'm not really sure what to think here.

wtf expansionist? fundamentalist? Interestingly enough it was the Qing's expansion that brought about XinJiang under the Manchu Empire (emphasis on Manchu Empire - as many of these areas were governed outside the Chinese Civil Government)

And how is what [allegedly] happened fundamentalist or expansionist? Shouldn't this be clear cut?

If you read what went on in Xin Jiang and what goes on today, the treatment of the people has led them to try to identify themselves separately as much as possible and this included a religious revival. Attempts by China to try to understate the history of people there have generated this response.
Go look at characters such as Askar Hui Liang who is a famous Uighur singer - this song found here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k2tHeSwtGgA quietly references to the attempts to erase the uighirs - to look everywhere but not find a person, to hear of a legend that cannot be found in the books of history, etc.
To be fair the whole notion of united Uighur peoples under Eastern Turkestan that is not very true at all when it comes to history (and no one has an idea of how many even support something like outright independence) ~ but every state or regions that desire to become a state has its romantic assertions of how it came to be or its history that is denied to it.

Originally posted by: extra
Wow I hate to defend China, and I couldn't give two shits about the Olympics I won't be watching any of them...

But hmmm.. You know.. I wonder if there just might be a little bit more to this than the sensationalist article says. Just a hunch.

"an exiled group said on Monday."

Not defending China's actions here but saying lets not jump to any conclusions based on the words of one group who obviously has a bias.

Okay that is a good point. It marked a red flag for me immediately when they referred to the area as "East Turkestan" as opposed to Xinjiang.

What gets to me is that, on the basis that these allegations are true, people are outright supporting something like this. I'm far more concerned with the people cheering over these actions where they are true or not; thinking that this is how we need to act and think like in the USA. Who knows the real story may come out that something wrong was indeed going on, but the fact that people cheered for the initial (dis?)information is disgusting

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: Kadarin

You have a problem with the US and other western nations' 'expansionist cultures'?

Who said *this* mosque had anything to do with 'expansionist and fundamentalist culture'?