China celebrates WWll victory over Japanese aggressors

woolfe9998

Lifer
Apr 8, 2013
And ironically, their victory over the Japanese had less to do with the Chinese themselves and more to do with the US and, to a lesser extent, the UK.

Svnla

Lifer
Nov 10, 2003
Tell me again how china "won" over Japan during WWII when the chinese suffered losses after losses.

US had hard fought victories at Midway, Iwo Jima, Midway, Okinawa, and on and on.

china had ???

kage69

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Chinese nationalism is going to fuck the world someday. I don't care about them trying to steal Taipei's thunder wrt to the fighting the Japanese, but their belligerent grab for resources under the excuse of sovereignty (still hilarious really) is not going to end well.

Greedy leaders who live in their own fantasy land and have a plethora of expendable males worry me. China got it's nose smashed in when Deng "wanted to teach Vietnam a lesson." I wish I could say they've grown up, but I don't think that's the case. :(

Murloc

Diamond Member
Jun 24, 2008
meh all countries do military parades, although not of this level usually....

Frankly with the one child policy I'm not so sure they'd want to waste soldiers on unnecessary wars.

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
They announced they're 'laying off' something like 300,000 troops. This was probably a big to do about nothing, showing off their bigger army before they thin it out. They needed a photo op.

Blackjack200

Lifer
May 28, 2007
Chinese nationalism is going to fuck the world someday. I don't care about them trying to steal Taipei's thunder wrt to the fighting the Japanese, but their belligerent grab for resources under the excuse of sovereignty (still hilarious really) is not going to end well.

Greedy leaders who live in their own fantasy land and have a plethora of expendable males worry me. China got it's nose smashed in when Deng "wanted to teach Vietnam a lesson." I wish I could say they've grown up, but I don't think that's the case. :(

I disagree. As I understand it China's primary geopolitical focus is the South China Sea, I find it very unlikely that they will ever expand their interests much beyond that. They'll cooperate with Russia and Iran loosely as a sort of anti-western confederation, but geographically and culturally, close cooperation between those nations will be difficult.

Chinese nationalism is like Russian nationalism and used by the government to distract from the severe problems faced by their respective populations.

mizzou

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2008

I also don't agree. I don't think Chinese leadership accurately represents the people they govern.

That' doesn't mean they still aren't formidable and dangerous...but I just don't see your average Chinese citizen wanting to dominate the globe and exterminate countries like USA. China knows they are nothing without us, and likewise.

Genx87

Lifer
Apr 8, 2002
And ironically, their victory over the Japanese had less to do with the Chinese themselves and more to do with the US and, to a lesser extent, the UK.

Even more ironic is the Communists played a lesser role in defeating the Japanese. It was Chinese nationalists that did the heavy lifting against the Japanese.

I read in typical communist fashion they revised history to have Mao at the Cairo conference lol.

Sonikku

Lifer
Jun 23, 2005
China celebrates WWll victory over Japanese aggressors

Didn't realize it was the Chinese that defeated Japan. Did they drop the bomb? Did the Japanese surrender to them? Sounds to me they're celebrating having occupied a spot on the same team as America than anything else. But this celebration is pure foolishness. They should be moving forward and attempting to normalize relations. Instead they've chosen to spit in Japan's eye, a move that will only heighten tensions over time. A "demonstration of peace" my left foot.

alcoholbob

Diamond Member
May 24, 2005
The irony here is the Chinese government is handing out medals to WWII vets now, the same vets that they locked up in the gulags decades earlier for fighting on the side of the "capitalists" during WWII. Wonder how they feel about being used for photo ops.

Last edited:

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
i overheard a skype call in a chinese restaurant how the guy on the other end who was in China had to end the call and go watch the parade otherwise they will condemn him for his lack of nationalism. LOL

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
Yeh, China claiming victory over Japan is sort'a like the victims of a hostage taking claiming credit from the SWAT fellas that saved them.

Oh well, victory is in the eyes of the propagandists I guess.

As an aside, and correct me if I'm wrong, but I think it highly praise-worthy of the designers of the American kevlar combat helmet (and its German predecesser?) that the Chinese apparently imitated some aspects of its design or totally ripped it off as they've done to others ie - combat aircraft design, etc. etc. etc. et al.

But I guess the saying that imitation being the sincerest form of flattery does have a modestly satisfying air of superiority that goes along with that.

Last edited:

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003

China's aspirations tend to be local. They want to control their immediate area in order to prevent future invasions. While not as dangerous as global ambitions, it's still an issue for us, as we need to control the South China Sea and other areas near China for our own purposes.

Jaepheth

Platinum Member
Apr 29, 2006
I disagree. As I understand it China's primary geopolitical focus is the South China Sea, I find it very unlikely that they will ever expand their interests much beyond that. They'll cooperate with Russia and Iran loosely as a sort of anti-western confederation, but geographically and culturally, close cooperation between those nations will be difficult.

Chinese nationalism is like Russian nationalism and used by the government to distract from the severe problems faced by their respective populations.

Things could get more interesting as global warming makes the China/Russia border more arable.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
China's aspirations tend to be local. They want to control their immediate area in order to prevent future invasions. While not as dangerous as global ambitions, it's still an issue for us, as we need to control the South China Sea and other areas near China for our own purposes.

I guess you didn't hear of China's Arctic ambitions?

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
What you guys think of this new Carrier killing missile that China is gloating about in their parade? It's the blue mobile missile launchers you see in the vids.

I also heard how they are boasting how they have many intermediate ballistic missiles that can every American base in the Pacific all the way out to hawaii now

Nebor

Lifer
Jun 24, 2003
What you guys think of this new Carrier killing missile that China is gloating about in their parade? It's the blue mobile missile launchers you see in the vids.

I also heard how they are boasting how they have many intermediate ballistic missiles that can every American base in the Pacific all the way out to hawaii now

I'd recommend you read "Ghost Fleet" by P.W. Singer if you're interested in that sort of stuff. Great read. Several CNOs have endorsed it as plausible.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

An interesting idea. However they have been somewhat overhyped. However if you were to fire them in large volleys, you might have a good possibility of overwhelming any carrier fleet, and sinking any of those expensive ships, most especially any supercarriers. But assuming that you can sink or mitigate any carrier fleet with the DF-21 you still have to start factoring in cost. If a salvo of DF-21 are less expensive than the carrier fleet that you sink then they DF-21 is a very powerful platform.

I also heard how they are boasting how they have many intermediate ballistic missiles that can every American base in the Pacific all the way out to Hawaii now

No their IRBM can not hit Hawaii or the American mainland. However they can reach Guam from the Chinese mainland.

JSt0rm

Lifer
Sep 5, 2000
on my give a fuck o meter:

give-a-fuck-o-meter_o_603532.gif

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

Using ballistic missiles for conventional strikes is seriously risky business. Odds are they'd never be used even if conflict broke out.