Chick Fill Aye on same sex marry age

Page 23 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
People attempting to use the power of government (like in Chicago, Boston and other places) to squash speech or opinion they don't like is most definitely an attack on free speech.

People were moaning about freedom of speech well before those guys came out against Chick. And if it goes to court, Chick will win. You're still allowed to say just about anything without fear of retribution from the government.

Personally, I was surprised to learn that Chick-fil-A wasn't already in some of those bigger cities. I never realized a lot of people haven't known the deliciousness that is their chicken.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
Yes, and you said it has nothing to do with the first amendment, except for the stupid over-stepping mayors.

Oh yeah, "except for the stupid over-stepping mayors". Why would we except them from the discussion? They are a prime example of how free speech is attacked in this instance.

Opposing equal rights for all citizens is a somewhat hateful position.

Again, I ask, please point me to his comments where there is any hate, or even animosity. We've apparently reached the point where the hateful intolerant left now labels someone saying they "support a Biblical definition" of something as "hate". Absolutely amazing.

I was addressing that more towards the general tone and tenor of a movement that supports this company specifically because they oppose those rights.

You mean because they oppose someone else unilaterally re-defining a concept dear to them to suit their whims? Oh, the horror! How dare they. Clearly they need some time at a dimlib re-education camp.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
People were moaning about freedom of speech well before those guys came out against Chick. And if it goes to court, Chick will win. You're still allowed to say just about anything without fear of retribution from the government.

Personally, I was surprised to learn that Chick-fil-A wasn't already in some of those bigger cities. I never realized a lot of people haven't known the deliciousness that is their chicken.

While I am not in favor of cities excluding CFA from doing business there are innumerable ways to legally do so without using their anti-gay stance as a reason. Doing business in a major city is more about politics rather than saying "I have a right/money to do business so you are simply required to approve my zoning/permits/licenses". No franchise owner is going to put themselves through the kind of trouble CFA corporate exposed them to in urban markets for quite a while, they would just spend a bunch of time and money for nothing.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Freedom of speech isn't under attack. I'm pretty tired of hearing that - it makes you sound like a talking head repeater. How exactly do you think it is? People disagreeing with you doesn't detract from your freedom at all.

It's been explained plenty of times. When government and state officials try to punish or shut down a business because of their speech and religious beliefs that is VERY MUCH A VIOLATION OF THE 1ST AMENDMENT. That is flat out wrong, and the liberal really fucked up here by trying that as you're seeing in the backlash against their government sponsored thought police.

fskimospy

Elite Member
Mar 10, 2006
It's been explained plenty of times. When government and state officials try to punish or shut down a business because of their speech and religious beliefs that is VERY MUCH A VIOLATION OF THE 1ST AMENDMENT. That is flat out wrong, and the liberal really fucked up here by trying that as you're seeing in the backlash against their government sponsored thought police.

Take more pictures of yourself with chicken sandwiches, guns, and knives. They are more interesting than the insanity you generally post.

Can you make a video of you shooting a hole in a chicken sandwich, for the troops/jesus?

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Take more pictures of yourself with chicken sandwiches, guns, and knives. They are more interesting than the insanity you generally post.

Can you make a video of you shooting a hole in a chicken sandwich, for the troops/jesus?

wtf is wrong with you? why did you post this? there is nothing insane about spideys post, he is 100% correct. For mayors to use their power of police and government to punish a company because they dont agree with what their CEO said is flat out fascism. and 100% against the constitutions.,

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
wtf is wrong with you? why did you post this? there is nothing insane about spideys post, he is 100% correct. For mayors to use their power of police and government to punish a company because they dont agree with what their CEO said is flat out. and 100% against the constitutions.,

Power of police....fascism....businesses being shut down?

If you guys would stop frothing at the mouth about freedom, America, and the 1st Amendment for 5 fucking seconds you mighty realize at least half of what you're posting is fabrication.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
We've apparently reached the point where the hateful intolerant left now labels someone saying they "support a Biblical definition" of something as "hate". Absolutely amazing.

What's amazing about it? The bible is full of hate. Have you even read it?

You mean because they oppose someone else unilaterally re-defining a concept dear to them to suit their whims?

What this guy calls the "biblical definition of marriage" is itself a unilateral redefinition -- which isn't even what's actually described as marriage in the bible.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Oh come on. People lining up to go to a fast food restaurant isn't fucking awesome. Even if it's ostensibly to show support for their constitutional rights, it's still not fucking awesome. We all know that people wouldn't react this strongly to a perceived infraction on the bill of rights if there weren't a couple of other motivations that aren't being explicitly communicated hiding behind that. Those other motivations are not fucking awesome.

yes its totally fucking awesome. people standing up and supporting CFA and its core values and telling governement to fuck off and stay out of it.

what i dont get is, since day one CFA has been closed on Sundays. you would have to be a complete moron not know they closed on Sundays because the company was respecting and honoring the sabbath. so that means its a religious company.... SO WHY IS IT SUCH A SURPRISE THAT THE COMPANY DOES NOT SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE???????? WTF!

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
Power of police....fascism....businesses being shut down?

If you guys would stop frothing at the mouth about freedom, America, and the 1st Amendment for 5 fucking seconds you mighty realize at least half of what you're posting is fabrication.

So you are saying Mayors and College presidents of public state universities aren't trying to shut down Chic-Fil-A or deny them operation? Because they are. That is very much wrong and very much against the 1st amendments on two fronts.

Hell, the president of my city's university is trying to shut down Chic-Fil-A though his state granted power.

Charles Kozierok

Elite Member
May 14, 2012
what i dont get is, since day one CFA has been closed on Sundays. you would have to be a complete moron not know they closed on Sundays because the company was respecting and honoring the sabbath. so that means its a religious company.... SO WHY IS IT SUCH A SURPRISE THAT THE COMPANY DOES NOT SUPPORT GAY MARRIAGE???????? WTF!

I not only knew about them being closed on Sundays, I considered it a positive of the company. I thought it was a fine, positive expression of their religious principles... that they believed in the sabbath day enough that they were willing to lose a lot of income.

This is not. It is a negative expression of their religious principles. And it's more than just an opinion -- the company is actively working to deny people their rights.

So I have gone from thinking positively about Chick-Fil-A to refusing to eat there. I'm sure some people will claim that I'm lying about my initial position, but I can't really prove it, so that's just how it will have to be.

Apr 27, 2012
Idiot democrats pretend they care about jobs yet they want to shut the restaurant and screw people out of jobs because ideology is more important

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003
So you are saying Mayors and College presidents of public state universities aren't trying to shut down Chic-Fil-A or deny them operation? Because they are. That is very much wrong and very much against the 1st amendments on two fronts.

Hell, the president of my city's university is trying to shut down Chic-Fil-A though his state granted power.

There is no inalienable right to develop. I haven't seen anything that indicates an operating store is in danger of being closed.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
and how exactly is CFA doing that to the gay community?

do they have some company policy or program against the gay community?

They fund groups that are working to pass laws and amendments to constitutions to ban same sex marriage denying gay people rights that go along with being married.

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
There is no inalienable right to develop. I haven't seen anything that indicates an operating store is in danger of being closed.

Looks like university of louisville is backing down on their efforts to shut down a Chic-Fil-A after the massive showing of support. The left are backing down on their attack on speech and religion as it's a losing proposition.

http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/01/4683593/u-of-l-wont-penalize-chick-fil.html

But The Courier-Journal ( http://cjky.it/N2Zvhx) reports that Ramsey and Willihngans said in an email Wednesday that the university values diversity and free speech as well as the right of individuals to choose where to spend money.

Read more here: http://www.sacbee.com/2012/08/01/4683593/u-of-l-wont-penalize-chick-fil.html#storylink=cpy

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
Idiot democrats pretend they care about jobs yet they want to shut the restaurant and screw people out of jobs because ideology is more important

If they shut down a restaurant on a college campus, a new one will take it's place in a heart beat. They may not have mediocre (at best) chicken sandwiches, but I'm sure the college students will somehow manage to survive and keep the restaurant in business.

K1052

Elite Member
Aug 21, 2003

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

This is news to me. Can you provide some proof that mayors/colleges are trying to shut Chick-fil-a down? A petition at petition.org at a college does not count.

abaez

Diamond Member
Jan 28, 2000

This is news to me. Can you provide some proof that mayors/colleges are trying to shut Chick-fila down? A petition at petition.org that anyone can start does not count.

modestninja

Jul 17, 2003
More idiocy from the hateful left. Clearly you hate Christians and anyone who holds religious beliefs.

Here are a couple of examples:

Psalms 79:6:
Pour out thy wrath upon the heathen that have not known thee, and upon the kingdoms that have not called upon thy name.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10:
If your very own brother, or your son or daughter, or the wife you love, or your closest friend secretly entices you, saying, “Let us go and worship other gods” (gods that neither you nor your ancestors have known, gods of the peoples around you, whether near or far, from one end of the land to the other), do not yield to them or listen to them. Show them no pity. Do not spare them or shield them. You must certainly put them to death. Your hand must be the first in putting them to death, and then the hands of all the people. Stone them to death, because they tried to turn you away from the Lord your God, who brought you out of Egypt, out of the land of slavery.

Maybe not hateful, but this one has always cracked me up:

2 Kings 2:23-24:
From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

Orignal Earl

Diamond Member
Oct 27, 2005
Maybe not hateful, but this one has always cracked me up:

2 Kings 2:23-24:
From there Elisha went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, some boys came out of the town and jeered at him. “Get out of here, baldy!” they said. “Get out of here, baldy!” He turned around, looked at them and called down a curse on them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of the boys.

42 bears
42 virgins
42 Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
This is news to me. Can you provide some proof that mayors/colleges are trying to shut Chick-fila down? A petition at petition.org that anyone can start does not count.

Must not have been paying attention. This is just in my hometown. There are many others notably Chicago and Boston majors. However they are starting to back away from this offensive position of punishing business over their speech and religion.

http://www.kentucky.com/2012/07/30/2277287/conservative-group-criticizes.html

Last week, U of L President James Ramsey and provost Shirley Willihnganz issued a statement saying they personally did not plan to eat at Chick-fil-A anytime soon. Willihnganz later said the university was talking with its food vendor to determine whether the university could cancel its contract with Chick-fil-A, which has a restaurant in the university's student center.

Read more here: http://www.kentucky.com/2012/07/30/2277287/conservative-group-criticizes.html#storylink=cpy