Chenming ATX-301KB-A-0 Aluminum Mini-Tower Case Black $35.00 free shipping

snooz

Feb 18, 2003
Newegg has a Chenming ATX-301KB-A-0 Aluminum Mini-Tower Black Case no p/s for 35.00 bucks shipped. Anyone familar with this case?
Link

CrimsonKing

Apr 3, 2000
No, but I might be soon. Looks like a nice deal. I like my Chenming a lot. And I need a smaller case for a second PC b/c there's no room for another tower in my little bedroom/office.

Thanks!

LakAttack

Oct 29, 2002
I just bought the blue version of this case. It is pretty sweet. My only complaint is that the USB ports on the front are right under the reset button. When I went to pull out my pen drive, I instinctivly put my thumb on the case, and almost reset the thing. Other than that, I'm loving it. I pulled my case temp down about 3 degrees.

EDIT: oh yeah - you might not be able to tell, but the hard drive cage is removable.

AbsolutDealage

Platinum Member
Dec 20, 2002
Yea, Chenming is manufactured exactly the same as the Antec towers. Everything is easy to get at and there are handy little features you usually don't find on lower-end cases. I would recommend.

KSee777

Sep 7, 2002
I got the case today and boy this case is good quality. Except for one thing... the bays are the easy sliding bays. But it doesn't come with the racks. Anyone know where to get the racks?

CrimsonKing

Apr 3, 2000
The rails for my Chenming were mounted at the bottom of the case. I don't see them in the pictures here.

For some reason I thought this was blue. I want a little blue case next time, I think. Gonna pass on this one since I just decided to move, and I don't need any more junk.

JasonH

Dec 8, 1999
Originally posted by: KSee777
I got the case today and boy this case is good quality. Except for one thing... the bays are the easy sliding bays. But it doesn't come with the racks. Anyone know where to get the racks?
It appears to be just like the Antec Lanboy (above) and the rails should be mounted on the front of the metal bay cover knock-outs.

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
The rails are mounted on the bay knockouts behind the front plastic bay covers. There is one mounted on each knockout so you get four. Also, they hid the screws in the the plastic cover in the back next to the PCI slots. It says "Hardware". A clip holds the cover in place ===> Here.

I know this is aluminum but it feels super light, like a couple of pounds. The metal is pretty thin so you have to be careful not to bend it. I like it though.

geecee

Platinum Member
Jan 14, 2003
This is a pretty nice case. As noted here previously, the drive rails are mounted on the metal popouts of the 5 1/4 bays (only one side has the rail - the other is standard screw-in). I was really amazed by how light this case was as I have never had an aluminum case before. Empty, it felt like less than 10 lbs. I could be wrong about that but relative to the steel Antec tower I have, it feels like incredibly lightweight, yet sturdy. The 3 1/2 inch bay enclosure slides out (like many other cases out there) so you can put in the HD and floppy outside the case, then slide the whole metal enclosure back into the case and lock it. This makes life much easier. My only complaint about this case is that it might be a little tight for some of the larger mboards out there. But it is only a mid tower after all...:)

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Originally posted by: CrimsonKing
The rails for my Chenming were mounted at the bottom of the case. I don't see them in the pictures here.

For some reason I thought this was blue. I want a little blue case next time, I think. Gonna pass on this one since I just decided to move, and I don't need any more junk.
The Blue Version is $39 with Free Shipping. Tempting isn't it? :)

dp004i

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2001
Hmmm, looks like a nice deal for an aluminum case. Wonder if I should get it to replace my Chieftec - I'm tired of hauling that thing around, it's too damn heavy.
PS: Would it be possible to sand the panels to get that nice brushed aluminum look?

CrimsonKing

Apr 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Lanyap
The Blue Version is $39 with Free Shipping. Tempting isn't it? :)

Argh!!! You are evil!!!! :D

This deal will come along again. After I move. The movers are already gonna cost me an arm and a leg. Not that I'd let them touch my computers. But I can't afford to have more component boxes around while I'm packing. Must. . . show. . .restraint! I want to build a Linux machine so badly. And I want it to be small. This would be perfect. Even though it doesn't have the lockable quick-release handle on the side. If I build it right, I shouldn't have to take it apart so often! :eek:

Now to find a hot deal on movers that doesn't require conning my friends yet again.

bbrontosaurus

Oct 25, 2002
Can anyone comment on the USB ports? I noticed that they are 1.1....is there anyway to upgrade them to 2.0?

deeznuts

Sep 19, 2001
Originally posted by: AbsolutDealage
Yea, Chenming is manufactured exactly the same as the Antec towers.

just to let everyone in on this Chenming is the OEM who makes most of antec's cases. i'm not sure now, but i'm pretty sure they still do. that's why so many different companies have the same case, dragon (diff. bezel), chieftec, enermax, etc. Chenming is the OEM. proof? anybody in San Jose area can go to their warehouse and buy cases, mine came with an Antec Box, no PSU.

also another tidbit about Antec. don't get me wrong, i love their stuff, but i don't think they actually make anything. cases are mostly chenming, and i'm not sure about their new smartpower PSU's, but my PP412X has CWT all inside of it. channel well tech. someobody compared it to a channel well psu and they were identical, just rebranded.

also, this black case doesn't have free shipping anymore?

Dran

Jul 24, 2001
I bought one of these after about a week of debating on whether I wanted to replace my black Evercase. The design is good, though a bit tighter squeeze getting motherboards in with drives installed first, and much more visually appealing. The airflow is much more defined than in many cases in the same price range or lower. The plastic front has a single vent area, instead of the typical "all around" slots in the sides of the face, which definitely helps direct and control the airflow.

The weight of the case itself is shocking. When I picked up the box, my first thought was that Newegg had accidentally left the case out. Even with the plastic face attached, it still weighs no more than a single HDD. This, obviously, brings up concerns about the sturdiness of the case, but it appears to have enough internal support to withstand some abuse. I wouldn't use it as a LAN box, but as a desktop system, it feels (and looks) good.

As far as cooling properties, it's not as good as a case with spaces for 92 or 120mm fans, or dual 80mm fans in the front and rear, but the tighter construction and directed inflow, as well as the aluminum, are definitely better than the standard off-the-shelf steel case. My own temps dropped an average of 3 to 5 degrees C, both case and CPU, below what they were running in the Evercase. In a closed case environment, the temps never exceed what they were with the Evercase running open, and in an open case environment, they put the Evercase to shame (dropping a full 5 degrees CPU and 3 to 4 degrees case, and this is below what the Evercase ran OPEN).

Aesthetically and cooling performance-wise, this case was a steal at $35 shipped. Whether it's suitable for modding... we'll see. :D

thermite88

Golden Member
Oct 15, 1999
The Chenming ATX-301KB-A-0 Aluminum Mini-Tower is identical to the Antec Lanboy inside, but without the window. Newegg sells one with the Austin 450 PS for $48 plus $10 shipping. With or without PS, even paying shipping, it is a very good case at low cost.

Model#: ATX-301KB-SL-A380W

If you don't need the window and front door, you save $40 over Antec Lanboy and get the same case. I ordered one without the PS when Newegg had free shipping for $35 and am very happy with it. Make no mistake, it is a CHEAP case, but one that sets new standard for a cheap case. Perfect for spare or kids, but I will not use it for my main rig.

This Aluminum case is available in silver and black. Chenming sells similar case made of sheet metal in silver, beige, black and blue (Model #ATX-301KB-0-0) for about $10 less than the Aluminum ones. Look carefully before you order.

pigseye2

Oct 11, 1999
The blue case looks neat but what do you do about bezels? Beige and blue sure doesn't sound like it looks good together.

If you dye your bezels I bet it's real tough to match this blue.

Any other ideas? What would be a good contrast color for bezels? I say if you can't match, contrast the color and make 'em standout.

Thoughts?

Pigseye

Krk3561

Diamond Member
Jun 12, 2002
Whats the difference between the Chenming ATX-301KB-A-0 and the Chenming ATX-301KB-B-0?