Cheap Prescription Glasses Thread (as low as $19)

Page 9 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

bluemax1955

Feb 5, 2007
Zenni Optical is awesome!! I've bought three different pairs of glasses from them in the last year and all have been perfect. I highly recommend them, don't let the low prices scare you I've looked at some of their titanium frames (39.00) locally and of very simular build quality yet cost hundreds more just for the frames!!!! Eyeglasses are marked up worsth than jewelery.

Miramonti

Lifer
Aug 26, 2000
Anyone have suggestions for online prescription sunglasses?

Most places have few decent looking sunglass options beyond simply making typical prescription glasses into sunglasses.

slugbug55

Jun 22, 2005
I ordered 2 pair(MA045) last month from optical4less. Prescription was spot on and I paid $36.10 total. You can't beat that price for 2 pair. Shipping is free when you order 2 pair or more.

Barnacle Bill

Nov 29, 2004
Originally posted by: jjsole

Most places have few decent looking sunglass options beyond simply making typical prescription glasses into sunglasses.

I got excellent results from Valueglasses.com. Bought a pair of no-line progressive lense bifocals with polarized sunglass lenses for just under $125 (after a $15 paypal promotion rebate) and I'd have to pay at least twice that amount if I were to buy them locally evan at Walmart. Polarized sunglass lenses are the way to go. :thumbsup: Regular tinted lenses suck once you've tried polarized lenses!

erwin1978

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2001
Can I send in a scan of my head to get a perfect fit glasses. I know whenever I go to the a glass store I feel embarassed when most of the frames they have is small for my face or simply don't fit right. I'm ethnic so I need ethnic glasses.

Dudewithoutapet

Golden Member
Oct 10, 2005
I bought some from ZenniOptical around a few months ago and they have held up pretty well. A lil paint has come off from me pushing up my glasses too often though.

gabby

Jul 26, 2007
Originally posted by: jjsole

you can try out

http://www.eyebuydirect.com
and use the coupon code : eyebuysummer
for free tint on prescription sunglasses

Gabby

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
I don't know much about eye prescriptions, last time I had an eye exam in America was probably 10+ years ago, and my most recent one was in a foreign country. I do know my contact lenses I most recently got were labeled as -4.5 for each eye, but now I'm looking at the zenni optical site:
http://zennioptical.com/cart/p...ductid=52&cat=7&page=1
It has like 4 categories for each eye od-sph, od-cyl and such.
Do I just put in -4.5 in each or what?
If it was important I'd get an eye exam and a real prescription, but I already have glasses and contacts and I just wanna keep a spare pair of glasses in the car in case I feel the need to take out my contacts while on the road

gabby

Jul 26, 2007
Originally posted by: Evander
I don't know much about eye prescriptions, last time I had an eye exam in America was probably 10+ years ago, and my most recent one was in a foreign country. I do know my contact lenses I most recently got were labeled as -4.5 for each eye, but now I'm looking at the zenni optical site:
http://zennioptical.com/cart/p...ductid=52&cat=7&page=1
It has like 4 categories for each eye od-sph, od-cyl and such.
Do I just put in -4.5 in each or what?
If it was important I'd get an eye exam and a real prescription, but I already have glasses and contacts and I just wanna keep a spare pair of glasses in the car in case I feel the need to take out my contacts while on the road

Hi Evander

the -4.50 is placed on the SPH part of the prescription

OD SPH -4.50
OS SPH -4.50

Gabby

Evander

Golden Member
Jun 18, 2001
Hi Evander

the -4.50 is placed on the SPH part of the prescription

OD SPH -4.50
OS SPH -4.50

Gabby

Thanks for the reply, I don't know the other numbers for the other drop down boxes though (all I remember was my contact lenses saying -4.5 on the case and that's it). Generally speaking, would they likely also be -4.5 or do they usually vary quite a bit?

gabby

Jul 26, 2007
Contact lens prescriptions are different as compared to Eyeglass prescriptions so I would highly suggest that you go to your local optometrist to have your eyes checked just in case

gabby

Jul 26, 2007
Originally posted by: erwin1978
Can I send in a scan of my head to get a perfect fit glasses. I know whenever I go to the a glass store I feel embarassed when most of the frames they have is small for my face or simply don't fit right. I'm ethnic so I need ethnic glasses.

You can try out our EyeTry tool, which lets you see how the glasses look like before you order

http://www.eyebuydirect.com/online_demo.php

eJim

Aug 1, 2000
Ordered 4 pair from Zenni Optical 4 weeks ago. Still haven't received a shipping acknowledgement. Zenni could care less.

Gibson486

Lifer
Aug 9, 2000
Originally posted by: Muse
<blockquote>quote:
Originally posted by: Marauder-<BR>If you guys just need lenses - you should check out Costco. When I needed replacements, after having checked around for pricing from Site for Sore Eyes and Lens Crafters, Costco was definitely the place to get them if you can afford to wait 3 days. For $80-90, I got all the features you can stuff onto a lens. <BR><BR>(Sorry if this is all in LensCrafters terms, those are the only ones i remember since they're on TV) I think it came w/ the Invisibles (no glare coat), Scratch resistant, Featherlights(lighter weight lenses/thinner).</blockquote><BR><BR>Like I said, I've checked those all, and For Eyes beat them (1.5 years ago, and probably today too). If you have a For Eyes near, check them out too if you want B&M.

They are still more than those sites. once you add the different coatings on the lense and seitch to the special thinner lense, the cost sky rockets to about $190 per pair. if you have a weak prescription and want a very limited selection on glasses, go to Foreyes and look at the 2 for 99 deal (basic lenses only)....if you want it all (anti scratch, selection...) this is not the place to go as they are actually more expensive than Sears or Walmart.

Jeffwo

Platinum Member
Mar 2, 2001
Not crazy about the thread title "...for those who can't afford Lasik". I don't want Lasik but I did want inexpensive glasses.

I ordered my no- line bifocals with antiglare from Zenni for $55.00..... these.

Discussion here.

Oh, BTW, they came in within a week and I am well pleased with them.

PC911mickster

Apr 11, 2001
I ordered 2 pairs including a set of bifocals from Zenni on 8/10 and received them on 8/18.
I'm very pleased. I'll order from 'em again.

Mattd46612

Jan 23, 2005
Valueglasses.com has likely ripped me off. Ordered from them August 6th and have yet to receive anything. Their phone number goes to a full voicemail and emailing them draws no reply. Looking them up it seems alot of people have had problems with them. Ill keep you updated but it seems they are a bad idea.

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
after about a year of forgetting about the deal, finally ordered two pairs from zenni.
some people over at fatwallet suggest that it is possible to get free AR, but I didnt take chances. $37.75 total, one tinted (10% amber) and both AR coated. Not bad :)

cardiac

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I picked up a set of sunglasses from Zenni after my prescription had changed some. I love them!
I would definitely buy from them again...

Bob

funboy6942

Lifer
Nov 13, 2001
Originally posted by: funboy42
I just ordered from zenni, 39.80 shipped with AR and sunshade shipped. Will give my thoughts on them when I get them :)

Its been almost a year now since I made the above reply and I still have the same glasses I did back then. Have yet to have a single problem with them and have been the best set I have had in my life so far. I bought my oldest some of the $8 ones, with shipping coating, and all it was under $15, He has broken a set being rough with them, but that is why I bought him the $8 set from Zenni for I am sick and tired of him breaking everything else. This way I bought him the first set and he can afford to buy the ones after that being too rough on them with his allowance money. Strangely enough he has yet to break his second set set since he has paid for them ;)

But I been very happy with them, and will for sure go back again when I need to, if I need to. I havent even gotten a single scratch on mine yet. Thats what washing them under the sink with soap and water does for them, and not your shirt and tissue ;)

konakona

Diamond Member
May 6, 2004
oops, forgot to post my impressions.

got both pairs in excellent shape, the AR coating seems to be working well. The plastic cases they each came in were pretty neat too. On one of the pairs, I got a 5% tint and didnt feel it was enough; if I had to redo it, I would try 10%. That paricular pair has a spring-loaded frame, and I am thinking the back end of the legs are curved in a little to tight - back of my head just above my earlobes hurt after a prolonged use. Perhaps they are just a little too tight and stiff now and possibly loosen up a bit in the future, or I could bend them outward a bit. No such gripe with the other pair, but I think they sent me a wrong colored pair. When I contacted the CS they insisted I got the color I ordered... dunno, maybe I was on something when I put my order in :D Overall I am pleased with my purchase, especially with the way they look on me and the price I paid for them.

dxpaap

Jul 2, 2001
Does anyone know how well online bifocals work out.

I ask durning an eye exam about ordering online, they said ordering single lens would be fine but bi or tri would be risky because the shape of the frame would impact where the like would go and unless you measure with the exact frame I would likely have a poor lens fit.

Of course, they wanted me to purchase their glasses!

thanks for the advise

dave

knightc2

Golden Member
Jul 2, 2001
Damn, these seem like pretty good prices. I need new glasses and I will definitely be checking these places out. Thanks for revisiting this thread as I had no idea these places were around.