Cheap Monitor(IPS) for Gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Revolution

May 24, 2000
Idk if your in the us
No.I'm from India.
PC components are expensive compare to other county and sadly cos of my own economic condition.

So I guess Dell S2340L is a good choice for games?
I wanna know too.
Dell S2240M(DVI) is under my budget.
Dell S2240L(HDMI) is little high.
I don't think HDMI will make any difference for me.
And monitor even has no inbuilt speakers.

TakeNoPrisoners

Platinum Member
Jun 3, 2011
No.I'm from India.
PC components are expensive compare to other county and sadly cos of my own economic condition.

I wanna know too.
Dell S2240M(DVI) is under my budget.
Dell S2240L(HDMI) is little high.
I don't think HDMI will make any difference for me.
And monitor even has no inbuilt speakers.

That Dell would be just fine. Personally for 1080p I like 24" or 23" but 21" is okay if your budget is tight. HDMI is only for game consoles anyway, DVI is electrically the same input without the audio.

Dkcode

May 1, 2005
Seriously!
Do u guys think I should stay with my old 17" Samsung CRT(1280x1024) until I save some big money for a really good monitor ?
After all I have not upgrade my system yet.

The input lag on the U2312HM is absurdly low.

Any IPS monitor you buy is going to be limited to 60hz, so its not going to be as smooth as your CRT if your running 85hz+.

If your not a hardcore gamer then you probably are not going to be that bothered.

Also I would save up a bit more money and get something decent, unless you desperately need a new monitor now.

blastingcap

Diamond Member
Sep 16, 2010
I consider myself pretty damn picky in this realm. Up until about 2 months ago I was using a Sony FW900 CRT for these reasons. I picked up a Catleap Q270 2B. I'm really not feeling the input lag, plus the 100hz+ refresh rate is legit.

If it's the kind that only has DVI output (no VGA, HDMI, etc.) then it has no internal scaler and thus removes that chunk of input lag from the equation. The downside is that you are forever wedded to DL-DVI. That is not a big deal for one or even two monitors, but for triple-monitor Eyefinity, AMD cards can't handle it, and I'm not 100% certain that NV's Kepler cards can handle three DL DVI Inputs at the same time, either.

Someguyperson_

Dec 4, 2012
Good monitor reviews are really tough to find. I only use tests from Anandtech, Xbit, and TFT Central. Speaking of which, I believe the Dell S-series of monitors would be a good fit for you. They are really lacking in terms of inputs, but the display quality seems quite good. TFT Central reviewed the S2740L and it did pretty well.

Revolution

May 24, 2000
BTW,Dell stopped Dell S2340M(DVI) model recently ?
I only see Dell S2340L(HDMI) in our market.
I want DVI port.
Its cheaper than HDMI and don't need spend extra money for HDMI cable.
Dell don't even bother to add DVI or HDMI cable these days.
And I guess there will be image quality difference between HDMI and DVI ?

Throckmorton

Lifer
Aug 23, 2007
The Dell S series monitors are pretty dim. Very disappointing. Also the 24" is BGR which messes up Cleartype in some programs (like Firefox)

3DVagabond

Lifer
Aug 10, 2009
If it's the kind that only has DVI output (no VGA, HDMI, etc.) then it has no internal scaler and thus removes that chunk of input lag from the equation. The downside is that you are forever wedded to DL-DVI. That is not a big deal for one or even two monitors, but for triple-monitor Eyefinity, AMD cards can't handle it, and I'm not 100% certain that NV's Kepler cards can handle three DL DVI Inputs at the same time, either.

AFAIK nVidia is fine w/3x DL-DVI. With AMD add the cost (~$100$) of a MiniDP-> DL-DVI adapter. Of course, someone who is struggling to purchase one monitor is not likely to have the funds for two more monitors and enough GPU horsepower to run into Eyefinity DL-DVI issues. That's a lot of pixels!

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
That LG monitor is nice. I'd prob go with that one.

Also, get at least 8GB of ram. It will probably cost you $10 more.

ArchAngel777

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2000
I picked up a Dell S2440L. The reason I bought it was because I read the review on the TFTCentral. I love the edge-to-edge glass.

As with all monitors, it is hard to adjust at first. I find the colors are saturated. I was able to download the ICC profile supplied by TFTCentral (awesome site by the way) and tried to mimic what they had. I made a few adjustments for my personal tastes, and now it looks really good.

You can get a decent amount of glare if you have a side window or a lamp near. But nothing beats the glass finish, in my opinion. Additionally, this is AMVA, has a really nice contract ratio.

Best part is this - I was going to buy my son a monitor for his computer for Christmas. But the cheapest thing I could find that wasn't a piece of crap was around $100 flat. Then I seen the Dell S2440L on sale at Best Buy for $200 and it was a no-brainer. Bought that for myself, and gave my son my LG 227WRT - a great monitor (for a TN, that is).

Everyone wins.

Last edited:

Revolution

May 24, 2000
TFTCentral provide ICC profile for all monitors ?
Or ICC profile only for those monitor which they have tested/reviewed ?

Revolution

May 24, 2000
Can anyone prove any review link Dell S2240M or Dell S2240L please ?
Dell S2240M cost Rs.8600/- and S2240L Rs.8800/- here locally.
None of the monitor have speaker ?
So,any advantage of HDMI over DVI ?
Thought price difference is very little only 200(US $4).
And worst things is that Dell don't even bother to provide HDMI or DVI cable with monitors.
So,if want to use DVI or HDMI then have to buy any chinese brand cable @200/-.
So,which is better Dell OEM VGA Cable or cheap chinese DVI or HDMI cable ?

Revolution

May 24, 2000
My CRT was dying so without having no choice and cos of limited budget finally bought Dell S2240L.
Now,can anyone please tell me the best Calibration Setting for this ?
No review found at web and I'm really not good at calibration.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
My CRT was dying so without having no choice and cos of limited budget finally bought Dell S2240L.
Now,can anyone please tell me the best Calibration Setting for this ?
No review found at web and I'm really not good at calibration.

Did you try searching the TFT site?

Revolution

May 24, 2000
Can't get full screen with HDMI but VGA working fine.
Checked we only showing review of S2340L,S2440L % S2740L.
No S2240L/M.
So,still failed to get calibration setting.

Revolution

May 24, 2000
What HDMI setting should I choose, RGB(normal), RGB(enhanced) or YCbCr for Dell S2240L ?
Or I should use VGA ?
Cos when HDMI connected and RGB is set from OSM color washed out ?

BTW,if I change DPI will it affect anything ( video,image,game ) except text ?
Windows 7 Display>set custom text size (DPI)

Status
Not open for further replies.